Hopkins Endurance RV Plug Installation Tip
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2014-10-13 9:58 AM (#161124)
Subject: Hopkins Endurance RV Plug Installation Tip

Veteran

I was experiencing intermittent messages informing me the trailer was disconnected. I cleaned the trailer plug and still was getting the error message. So I decided to replace the plug.I’ll start by saying the old adage “If all else fails read the instructions”. The task was to replace the plug with a new Hopkins Endurance Model# 48510. Pretty easy task one would think. Cut the old receptacle off as the circuit break was clicking away, I should have disconnected the auxiliary power. Then I stripped the cable back and started making connections. The problem I ran into was the cable jacket wasn’t stripped back far enough and would not allow the rear split case to close properly. I removed some more of the cable jacket and started to close it up. This is where I fought the wires to lay just right for the case to close properly. Finally, after standing on one foot and shaking it like a can of paint it closed. Plugged it into the truck and perfect everything worked. As I was putting my tools away and decide to look over the instructions and noticed it stated use the enclosed zip tie to secure the wires to the body. I decided I would open it up in the morning and put the zip tie on.Well this morning in the dark, because wiring should be worked when you can’t see I opened it up and attached the zip ties. The case went together in second both feet on the ground.Two things to remember 1) strip the cable back ¼”pasted the metal housing, 2) zip tie half the wire to upper housing and the other half to the lower.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page