Camping with horses
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-03 7:33 PM (#20046)
Subject: Camping with horses

Veteran

Hello All!! I have just planned a camping trip to East Fork State Park in Southern Ohio. This will be my first camping trip with my horses. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Anything that you wouldn't go without??

And has anyone used one of the portable electric corrals? I'm considering buying one and just wanted a little experienced feedback if possible.

Thanks!!

Edited by Rockin_horse72 2005-02-03 7:33 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-02-03 8:28 PM (#20048 - in reply to #20046)
Subject: RE: Camping with horses

Expert

I always take extra rope, halter and bridle. You never know and its better to have a spare. I also try to take water from home for my older mare because she won't drink if it's different. Or something like that, haven't figured that one out yet.
If your horse is used to an electric fence they work great. I use the 2" hot wire tape here at home, so when I go somewhere I use that and they know. I don't have to hook it up, they won't touch it. But I usually do turn it on at night just in case someone else decides to come for a visit.

I also bought a battery (D) operated charger from Valley Vet that I use for temporary stuff. I didn't buy a kit, it was cheaper to go to Mc Coys and buy the white posts and use the charger and tape I already had. I just cut the tape long enough to make a 10X20 pen and keep it rolled up in my trailer with the charger, posts, extra batteries and a grounding rod (tent steak and a jug for water with a small hole to keep the ground wet for a good connection).
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-04 11:23 AM (#20082 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

we carry an eazy boot in case one looses a shoe, bute, banimine. And don't forget your compass or gps. We usually picket line our horses. My first time I did that I didn't get any sleep I was so worried about my babies. They did just fine and I learned why, they were so tired from riding they were happy to rest. Let me just worn you --- you'll be hooked. Have fun
Happy Safe Trails
Shari

Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-04 11:35 AM (#20084 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

Thanks for the info!! I'm so excited I can hardly wait!! It is all I think about... which isn't always a good thing when I'm at work! :-) But oh well!!

My boy has never been picket lined so I'm kinda worried about that. He is really good about everything and just a very smart horse, but I'm always afraid that something will upset him and he will get hurt. I have had him all of his life(15yrs) and I owned his momma before him, so he is VERY special to me.

My hubby is just new to the riding horse thing, so he isn't sure what to think. He has been in standardbred race horses for 25 yrs and is a wonderful blacksmith, but the riding thing is all new. He will learn!!! I'm praying that this will be a great experience for him!!h me luck!
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-02-04 5:03 PM (#20111 - in reply to #20084)

Extreme Veteran

We use the portable electric fencing as well and have never had a problem with it. I agree with all of the above, just one word, hook up your fencing and turn it on while your at home and put your horse in it for while. I'd do this a few times before I left so the horse will be use to it and you won't have any surprizes while camping. I'd do the same for a picket line if the horse has never been tied to one. Most horses will do well if they are use to being tied to a trailer for any length of time. Another word of caution about pickett lines that I've see people who have never set one up do before. Make sure the rope you have is tight between what you tie it to and make sure the ropes your horses are tied with are tied high enough to where their legs cannot get tangled up in it. I've had to cut a couple of horses loose that it's happened to and the owners are snoozing away.

If you do a search on the net you'll find a wealth of info cause there is just too much to list here.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. you'll be hooked!! :)

Safe Riding,
Todd
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-02-05 9:12 AM (#20132 - in reply to #20046)

Elite Veteran

Sometimes it's easy for our thoughts to get lost in all the anticipation of the event. Spend as much time as you can pretending you are already there and breack it up into segments; sleeping, cooking, grooming, feeding, tacking up, bathing, maping and so on. If you can pretend most of it in your mind before you leave, you have less risk of unwelcome surprises while you are camping. It REALLY helps to go camping with others the first couple of times you go as you can offer/get support in a time of need or forgetfullness. ;-) Happy trails
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-02-05 8:56 PM (#20137 - in reply to #20046)

Elite Veteran

I have a camping list that I check before leaving home.  If you PM me I'll send it to you

Nancy

Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-06 8:18 AM (#20142 - in reply to #20137)

Veteran

What is your PM??
Wendy
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2005-02-06 10:34 AM (#20144 - in reply to #20046)

Hello

A couple of suggestions - a friend and I practiced high tying our horses in one of the pastures and pitched a tent in the pasture and spent the night. That way we were right there to assist if anything happened and the horses were still in the pasture. We learned alot. The other thing is about the electric fencing. I think it is better to have each horse in their own "paddock" and that is not hard to do if you plan it right. Make sure you have two handles. The reason for this is some horses don't do well in a changed environment and if they are separate you can stay on top of how much water they are drinking and if they are eating and pooping. If you have two in the same area you can't tell if one horse is "off". Have fun - you will love it.
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-06 2:46 PM (#20156 - in reply to #20142)

Veteran

rockin_horse72@yahoo.com or you can just use the one on here. Just click on the user profile & it will let you send a personal e-mail. Thanks!
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-02-07 9:14 AM (#20178 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

Totally agree with the meds, easy boot, and we love our electric corral. 

To do it over you'll save some $$ as mentioned by buying separately, just by the yellow jacket charger from Valley Vet or your local farm supply store, plenty of tape, a tape spool with a winder, 2 spring handles for gates and plenty of stakes (we have about 6 more than came with the kit).  If the campsite is large enough, we've set up two separate corrals for our horses and our friends' as well.  Our horses are very accustomed to electric fence, but still test it once in a while.  We wouldn't travel without it!

If the area doesn't allow it, you'll need to make sure that your horses will high tie or be comfortable on a hitching post (or whatever is provided).

LAXPatrick

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-09 1:08 PM (#20315 - in reply to #20046)

Elite Veteran

All the above suggestions are great and here is one more for your horses. I'm guessing that you will be going when Spring finally gets here and I imagine your horses are a bit out of shape after standing around eating to their hearts content all winter. I would recommend starting them on some electrolytes a couple of days before the ride and during the duration of your camping. This will ensure they are well hydrated for the trip and also for the extra physical exertion you will be asking of your horse. I mix mine with a some bran and what ever type of feed/grain you provide. The electrolytes will increase your horses water consumption, so don't be alarmed when they drink a whole 5 gallon bucket. A bottle of Absorbine linament would also be good to have to rub on their muscles to prevent soreness. Also as an added precaution have a large pocket knife with you at all times should you need to cut your horse free from the picket line. Happy camping and I'm sure you'll be hooked. There is nothing like riding in the wilderness with your best equine buddy enjoying the beauty and tranquility of mother nature.
ponytails
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-09 1:23 PM (#20316 - in reply to #20046)

Regular

Besides all the great advice allready given-I like to take something to help me sleep. like Benadryl. makes ya sort of groggy and its easier to fall asleep-if its your first time horse camping- you may be up all night worrying about the ponies!

take care and have fun!

jody

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-13 6:48 AM (#20522 - in reply to #20046)

Elite Veteran

Last fall, on my last camp out of the year, I was sick and had to go to the hosp.  I should have been at home, but who want s to miss a ride?  During the night my friends horse got his halter throagt latch snap caught in my horses highest side ring of halter.  They were on a picket line and are best friends.  Any way the other horse slipped his halter and went off in search of food.  My horse must have twisted around and around and was completly tied up in two lead ropes, his and other horses!  It was up so tight in his throaght latch area it was a wonder he did'nt strangle.  My friend must have heard him from his camper and woke me and we got them all fixed back.  They were both OK.  My friend is 78.
ponytails
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-13 6:57 AM (#20524 - in reply to #20046)

Regular

wow! that does not sound like fun!! (hosp. trip or the halter story) I cant help you on the hosp. trip and getting sick- but that kind of halter problems DONT happen if you are using a good hand tied rope halter. I have thrown away all my old halters that have hardware on them! try one- you will like them!

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-13 7:40 AM (#20526 - in reply to #20046)

Elite Veteran

I have 3 rope halters, I think.  I like to use a leather halter with just a crown peice buckle and a chin buckle.  In my case, my friend would have still had the nylon with the throaght snap.  It could have still gotten snapped onto a rope halter.  I did have a nylon on but the ring where his halter got snapped to really bent.  I'm surprised it did'nt break.  The halter was 2nd or 3red hand when I got it and I have had it sewn by the amish twice.  My horse is a walking horse and his head is hard to fit.  It is hard to get Ky leather halters.  I got 2 over 20 yrs ago and still using them.  I am very suseptable to pharyangitis and was sick for a month and refused to go to the dr.  I was so sick I had to go to ER, cause my dr was closed.[the ride was close to home]
ponytails
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-13 7:47 AM (#20527 - in reply to #20046)

Regular

Ha Ha! you sound lot like me!! I dont do the doctor thing very well either!!Oh-my horses, dogs and cats get the best vet care, vitmins and all of that-but I have to be on the verge of loosing consiounus (sp) be fore I ever go. !! I too have had that Pharengitits! and horses get it too....

Well- anyway- what I was saying about the rope halters -is there is no hardware to catch on. if both horses were wearing them-I think all would have been fine.

Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-13 8:37 AM (#20532 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

Morning all!

I was told not to ship with a rope halter.. but you are saying that you ONLY use the rope halters, have you ever had one burn a horse?

ponytails
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-13 8:42 AM (#20533 - in reply to #20046)

Regular

No
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-02-13 11:51 AM (#20554 - in reply to #20533)

Elite Veteran

When I high line my horses, I make sure they can't touch eachother, trees, or anything. The high line is high enough that they can't touch it either. I high line 4 horses at a time and have never had a problem getting caught on anything or rubbing a halter off. Even water buckets are put away for the night when we go to bed.

Edited by krys 2005-02-13 11:53 AM
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-02-14 12:51 PM (#20616 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

Since I have taught highline construction at numerous Pack Clinics, Backcountry Horsemen Rendezvous and even the Western States Horse Expo, I should probably offer some helpful hints and safety notes...

The rule of sevens: Highline 7 feet high, 7 feet from the tree (protects the tree roots), animals 7 feet apart, and my latest rule addition: at night, 17 inches of lead rope!

ok so that last one wasn't quite 7, and shorter than the rounded dimension of 18" or "foot and a half". They key word there is "shorter". You'll often hear that they should be able to get their head to the ground, this may alright when you're watching, BUT overnight shorten to 17". They can sleep standing up and you should find that they will settle in comfortably in most cases.

I am also a big fan of rope halters. I've gotten away from all hardware between the animal and the lead rope. However, I do incorporate a swivel, between a lead rope and highline. I've posted pictures on this list (somewhere) of the Prussic Loop tie for a highline. It is much better than those "knot eliminator" gadgets.

I've had one of my students have a bear go through her camp! Mules and  lead ropes got tangled, but she went down the highline and cut the small rope Prussic loops, retied quickly and all was well. If she would have had a knot eliminator she would have needed to cut her lead ropes, or tight highline (also a lash rope), and neither of those are good options.

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-14 5:23 PM (#20635 - in reply to #20046)

Elite Veteran

Packer, Can you give more info on the Prussin loop?

packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-02-14 6:39 PM (#20637 - in reply to #20635)

Veteran

Walkin...I'll attach a drawing that I use as a handout. You could also do a internet search for Prussic Loop, there are plenty of examples that the mountain Climbers use (Rock Jockeys).
Sheryl
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-02-14 11:35 PM (#20647 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

packerpete, have you ever tried anything like these coil ties?  I was considering trying these next time I picket line my horses.  What do you think?

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=7ca3ca6f-4d85-4c05-9cdc-6fd14dc879ff

Thanks

packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-02-15 10:56 AM (#20658 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

HI Sheryl,

Thanks for sending the infro on the coil ties. I understand the concept of keeping the ropes off the ground and having a neat appearance, BUT my view of the highline is to provide a SAFE, SECURE stock restraint system. I'm not sure that these coil ties improve either safety or security. I'll detail MY reasons below, your milage may vary...

Safety: even the shortest of the coil ties is 3 1/2 feet long (the other is like 7 1/2 feet!!!). I've had a mule get a HIND leg over less lead rope, and cause a rope burn. She sort of ran, stretched the lead rope and highline out tight, and did a "cartwheel". (She was unable to wear a crupper on the ride out...Ouch!). I don't see that these coil ties would prevent that, but keeping that lead rope to highline distance  at 17" will; remember that the highline will have some give like a bow string.

Secure: The coil ties say they will break in a panic situation. I'm not so sure that will happen given the flex inherent in a highline. Even if it did happen, then your animals are loose, not secure. In my last thread I talked about the Prussic Loop, I have used plastic/ poly hay string to make a Prussic Loop in an Emergency. It didn't break when I used it but certainly won't last long in the sun, and would seem to be another way of putting a breakaway into the system.

While I don't like to bash a product I haven't tried, You asked my thoughts, and my preferences are formed from experience; some of that experience was gained from bad judgement...no need for you to revisit the all my mishaps!

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-15 12:56 PM (#20670 - in reply to #20046)

Elite Veteran

Packer, I could not get the attachment on prussic loop to open. Did look it up o internet search.  Also found it in my ll bean knot game~!  If you used baling twine, where would the lead rope go? 
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-02-15 2:32 PM (#20680 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

Hey my original drawing has been loaded 17 times, so keep trying. It doesn't work to click on the floppy disk icon, you have to click on the file name (Prussic-Loop-Drawing.jpg) in my original post.

I am now adding a swivel to all my loops that I use to tie animals, you need to thread the swivel on before you knot(close) the loop. After the loop is closed you throw it over the lead rope and pull through itself, three times. Your left with a loop (w/ swivel) hanging...that is where the lead rope gets tied!

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-16 3:51 PM (#20773 - in reply to #20046)

Elite Veteran

Packer, you did'nt say why you were going to the prussic loop instead of knot eliminators.  ???
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-02-16 4:45 PM (#20779 - in reply to #20773)

Veteran

let's recap the advantages of the Prussic Loop over the Knot eliminator.

It's lighter in weight (important if you're tieing up a whole string of critters). It's less expensive, It can be made with readily available materials (haystring) in an emergency. Animals can be quickly cut free and the loop retied in minutes. It can be used as a rescue tool (foot and hand holds on a verticle rope), and the number one reason that it is better than a knot eliminator:

You can easily move the loop (with tied-up animal) down a tight highline!

Convinced? If these things weren't so completely simple, I would sell them! Instead, I'll try to educate people to learn a better way. Maybe someday I'll get to contribute to a magazine article or something. I have prepared a series of documents and instructive drawings for Backcountry Horsemen.

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-02-17 7:15 AM (#20808 - in reply to #20046)

Elite Veteran

Packer , I am going to try it next time I camp. It is a pain trying to move theknot eliminators once the line is up.
steve40403
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-22 10:05 AM (#21135 - in reply to #20046)

New User

Does anyone know where/how I can get anchors for the living quarters of my horse trailor. I need to tie down my microwave and coffee pot on the counter while in transit.  I love to ride but I have to have my coffee.  :-)  My wife doesn't want me to put I-bolts in the counter, so I need some kind of glue on type of hook that will hold.  Thanks
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-02-22 10:35 AM (#21137 - in reply to #21135)

Veteran

I have found many such straps at my corner hardware store that use glue and velcro and rated for varied # pounds. You might try asking for Earthquake Appliance Holdown straps. Of course I live in California where these things are commonplace and I see that you are in Kentucky. I suggest a web search for the these, be aware that any straps rated for any heavy loads will need to be screwed or bolted into a stud or framing member.
steve40403
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-02-22 4:56 PM (#21182 - in reply to #21137)

New User

thanks i found several ideas today.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-02-24 9:50 PM (#21370 - in reply to #20046)

Black and Decker makes an undercabinent coffee maker that is very nice, we have one in the horse trailer and liked it so much we got one for the house!
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-02-25 11:49 AM (#21393 - in reply to #21370)

Expert

Hey Rose - that's a GREAT idea. Don't they also make small microwave ovens that mount like that too? I know I've seen toaster ovens (be sure to install the heat guard to the bottom of the cabinet).

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-03-05 10:50 AM (#21884 - in reply to #20808)

Elite Veteran

Nice to see other people from MD on the forum. Happy trails.
trailady
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-04-15 6:05 AM (#23883 - in reply to #20046)

hi Packer, do you work with the back country horsemen? I ride with a group that does the same in nc/sc area called Pisgah trail blazers.  Great fun with the camping/riding and giving something back to the trails. Will have to look into that high line tie you are talking about.  The knot elim. are a pain to move is you have to do so.

take care -ride safe

packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-04-15 10:30 AM (#23892 - in reply to #23883)

Veteran

Hi Traillady,

Yes, I am the 2005 VicePresident of Education in the Backcountry Horsemen of California. The national organization is expanding into more states, even in the east; check out the following link to find a group near you. I noticed that there is a chapter in North Carolina, now too...

http://www.backcountryhorse.com/organizations.htm

packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-05-10 5:41 PM (#24953 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

I have a website showing many more details of the highline system. Please feel free to check out the website and let me know how you like the site. It was a free website, so there are more advertisements than I would like, but the price was right! I appreciate any feedback

http://pkrigerjr.tripod.com/highline.html

atlantagachick
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-31 11:51 AM (#54794 - in reply to #20137)

New User

i was wondering if you still had that checklist and if i could see it

melissa

mobile al

clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-01 3:23 PM (#54845 - in reply to #20046)

Regular

Packerpete, Where do you get the swivel? I must say I also had a hard time finding the pulleys your system uses. I found several that were very expensive. I finally found one, that handles less weight and seems to work fine (they were $12 each, I have two). I love the swivel idea, so let me know where to find them!ThanksColleen
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-02-01 4:17 PM (#54848 - in reply to #20046)

Veteran

Hi Colleen, I guess it's been awhile since I was on this forum. Here is link for a less expensive pulley that I have been using recently: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47845874&a... If that link doesn't work got to rei.com and search for "blue pulley" The swivel is a common hardware store item, less than $5 I believe. I'll see if I can get a photo. I thread it on the rope-cord before I tie the Prussic loop. It works great! Pete
Slidinspots
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-04 11:21 PM (#55069 - in reply to #20046)
Subject: RE: Bad trailer accident with Circle J trailer

Veteran

If you use the electric pen, make sure it is big enough. I have seen horses turn around and get their tail in the hot tape and take the fence down. 13 I prefer a highline, I feel like my horse is more secure.
AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-02-05 1:17 PM (#55092 - in reply to #20046)

Regular

Packer Pete

Thanks for your info on the Prussic Loop, I have been packing for years all over Alaska and have always been looking for a better way for my lines. Thanks