'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exiss Lights

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-01-04 9:43 AM
4 replies, 5100 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jsspaulding
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2017-01-01 3:42 PM (#169051)
Subject: Exiss Lights

New User

We have a 2002 Exiss living quarters trailer. The lights in the horse compartment only work when plugged into the truck. Is there a way to have these lights also work off of the generator, battery or plug-in?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2017-01-01 10:58 PM (#169054 - in reply to #169051)
Subject: RE: Exiss Lights

Veteran

Our LQ horse trailer is also wired the same where the horse compartment, manger compartment and outside spot lights only work off of the truck when it is running. When camping and disconnected from the truck, I have a jumper wire made up with a 7 pin connector with two wires (auxillary light wire and ground wire) that have alligator clamps . I have also included an in line fuse on the auxillary light wire. I hook up the 7 pin connector to the plug on the horse trailer and the two alligator clamps to either the LQ battery or to a spare battery if I want to separately power these lights. I find this a lot easier than making wiring changes to the trailer which might result in problems when connected again to the truck. Regards, 3CW

Edited by ThreeCW 2017-01-01 11:01 PM
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2017-01-02 11:31 AM (#169056 - in reply to #169054)

Extreme Veteran

easy to do....next time you have your trailer serviced have them change wiring if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2017-01-03 5:18 PM (#169064 - in reply to #169051)

Veteran

I am thinking that it MAY be better to keep the two lighting systems separate ... at least when connected to the truck. Not sure if I want my truck to be powering my LQ when going down the road in the event that I leave my battery switch "ON". I would be worried about over loading the hot wire on the truck plug which has a 25 amp fuse (300 watts at 12 volts). It may be more of a problem if I was running my generator on my LQ ... if I fiddled with the wiring and was connected to the truck, PERHAPS my generator would now be powering my truck. Perhaps I am I am worried about nothing but for me, it is best to leave well enough alone. As a rule, I normally leave the battery switch in the "OFF" postion when connected to my truck. Regards, 3CW
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2017-01-04 9:43 AM (#169069 - in reply to #169051)

Elite Veteran

Actually, most every newer LQ trailer has the two systems connected via what they call the "charge line". By charging the LQ batts from the truck, the accessory circuit is tied in to them. Benefit- the lights always work and the batteries stay charged. I've never heard of a wire melting from the truck because of dead batteries.

To the original poster, you'd most likely make this connection towards the front of the trailer. The trailer's wiring starts in the front and goes overhead to the rear, the LQs is all centered around the living area. A wire from the original trailer's Accessory circuit to the batteries will be the easiest way to make this happen. A 30-50 amp fuse in it is customary. 

Edited by horsey1 2017-01-04 9:44 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)