'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Satellite ? HD or not?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-03-13 5:00 PM
5 replies, 4649 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2017-03-08 5:09 PM (#169523)
Subject: Satellite ? HD or not?

We have always put the domes on LQ's. Now that everything is HD, would you spring the extra $1200 to go with a Direct Tv HD satellite? Or would you save the $1200 and just put the standard no HD dome? I'm worried that I'll spend $1300 on the standard dome, just to have the thing phased out in a few years. Then I would still need to spend $2500+ on the HD one any way to be able to have a decent choice of channels.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2017-03-08 7:24 PM (#169526 - in reply to #169523)
Subject: RE: Satellite ? HD or not?

Extreme Veteran

I have a friend who had a dome put on his trailer only to learn that when we camped under the trees, he couldn't get reception. So for a few c's, he got a carry-out. He's on Dish, so it was very reasonable. He uses the carry-out all the time. We're on Directv, and I hounded them for a cheap carry-out version several years ago.  If I've read the ads correctly recently, there is now one compatible with Directv that doesn't bust the pocketbook. I don't watch tv on shorter trips, but when snowbirding it sure isn't handy to have to resort to that huge dish.  
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-03-08 7:53 PM (#169527 - in reply to #169523)

Elite Veteran

I have direct tv. When me wife is with me I use a portable dish and it works ok. She calls direct tv and puts in for a change of address to where we are camping. On the return trip she changes our address back to home. This doesn't create a problem for us but if someone tries to view tv at our house when we are gone they would be viewing the channels where we are.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2017-03-08 9:46 PM (#169528 - in reply to #169523)

We carry a portable dish for those times that we are parked in the trees, a building or have an obstruction. They are a pain in the butt to set up, especially in the rain. We always have put either a push button King Dome or a Wynguard low profile satellite on the roof. Hubby is now used to watching a 4K TV at home and thinks he needs HD TV. But, since they are doing away with analog, I'm scared they will do away with the standard signal which would render all non HD satellites, worthless. SO, since we plan to keep this trailer a long time, I just battling whether to spend  the extra bucks now and be done with it or do the cheaper none HD one and hope the technology is still around for many many years.
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2017-03-13 8:24 AM (#169559 - in reply to #169523)

Veteran

Get a DTV dish on a tripod and a satellite meter. After a couple times you will be an expert setting it up. You can get both for less than $150.
Just take your home receiver with you when traveling and get local channels from a rooftop antenna.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2017-03-13 5:00 PM (#169567 - in reply to #169523)

After extensive research and talking with 4 different departments at Directv, we decided to go with the Wyngard Traveler HD satellite. Standard is in the process of being fased out and there is no modification available for the Standard dome satellites at this time per Directv.  . Directv will not even replace a old standard reciever with another standard one. So, spend the extra now or twice as much later to replace? No brainer. I wonder how Directv will handle the RV masses.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)