'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Accident Totaled

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-03-26 5:18 PM
4 replies, 5140 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jackieO
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2017-03-23 4:00 PM (#169617)
Subject: Trailer Accident Totaled

New User

Posting for a friend.  No horses in trailer.   Accident caused by another party and trailer is rolled.  She is wanting trailer to be totaled but having a difficult time finding repair shop who will agree.  She does not feel safe with just a repair.  Has very expensive show horses.  The party who caused the accident's insurance is not covering thus far so her insurance company will pay and then go after responsible party's insurance. 

How does she go about finding someone who will agree that the trailer is totaled?  Sorry, I don't have any more details at this time. 

Any suggestions appreciated. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2017-03-23 4:29 PM (#169618 - in reply to #169617)
Subject: RE: Trailer Accident Totaled

Elite Veteran

As a shop, we find ourselves answering this often. First- the insurance company determines when it is totaled. The repair shop will give an estimate to repair it to before accident condition, period. If the insurance company determines this number is  too close to actual value- then they may total it. In this business, comparables are often hard to find, so insurance companies have issues deciding what to do. Also- if the estimate has room for error due to unseen damage, then that may have an impact as well. 
mannys
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2017-03-24 2:16 AM (#169620 - in reply to #169617)

New User

Hello! I just signed up for this forum as I am a brand new bonafide horse trailer owner (vintage) and I am glad this is the first post I came across because it's actually something I know something about.
I'm not an attorney, a shop owner or an insurance agent or anything else related to the motor vehicle world other than a regular Jose that has been around enough accidents to know a thing or two - common knowledge.

Anyone can have this knowledge by asking any insurance agent/representative. I do not by any means condone doing anything fraudulent when it comes to insurance. However, it is a important to understand that the body shop is not in control of a vehicle/vessel being totaled. When you take something to the body shop and get an estimate, the insurance company will look over this estimate (if they do not send out their own adjuster) and generally speaking - when damage repair costs more than 50% of the cost of the insured vehicle, an insurance company will declare the vehicle in question a total loss.

You can't really "find someone who will agree" but you may find someone that charges a lot more to repair than the next guy and ensure you surpass the "50% mark"?

This won't work if you've already supplied the insurance company with a quote, which it seems like you have, so I don't know how helpful this is now but I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2017-03-24 8:20 AM (#169621 - in reply to #169617)

I see you are in Ft Worth. You could take it to Zanetti Trailers in Weatherford.  He is the go to guy west of the Mississippi. He will give you great professional advice. Any repairs made will be done right .I have the utmost respect for their abilities. 

If traveling east of MS, then RT Smith & Select Trailers is the best over that way!.

Both of these guys help to keep my trailers healthy when I'm away from home. I live exactly half way between them. 
paintedquarters
Reg. Mar 2017
Posted 2017-03-26 5:18 PM (#169627 - in reply to #169617)

New User

I hope she has an insurance company who will work with her. Start out researching trailer sites for a base value of like trailer, copy and have photos. Do the leg work for the insurance company what you have is just like a current market price. Very few repair shops can find all the cracked welds, pulled streatched rivets, twisted channels, pinched wires, glued panels that lost adheshion and warp later in the sun. There is so many unknowns that are covered up and secured in place. I buy these trailers for pennys just to cover the unknown. It is hard to find a manufacture who would recommend a rollover repair shop.
They need inspected buy a State Dept. of motor vehicle engineer to assure road worthy. The worst is most insurance company,s can wait over a year to settle claim.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)