'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cold Weather Clothes

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-09-12 9:46 AM
27 replies, 13046 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-11-17 6:36 PM (#95015 - in reply to #94664)
Subject: RE: Cold Weather Clothes

Extreme Veteran

Now I am going to change the whole post because of this question.

I followed your fall link and saw all your other photos.  Very nice.

I noticed that you are not using any fancy pads just a few Navajo blankets. 

Do you ever have any issues with just the simple blanket? 

I have  worn the fur off of my qtr horse two years in a row right under the rear area of the saddle on each side of his spine.  This year it grew in white.  Very disapointing.

I have changed saddles and pads.  I wanted to try the simple blanket but was concerned that the pad was better. 

What do you think?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-11-17 11:03 PM (#95030 - in reply to #95015)

Expert

I use a Dixie Midnight type of under pad under wool blankets. It's a 1/4" thick spun polimer material  ( kinda like a real course brillo pad mad out of plastic.)

This type of underpad allows the sweat to run out from underneath, and lets some air move under the blanket to help keep the horses back cool.

When it gets dirty, I just hose down the dixie midnight pad or dunk it in the water tank and shake it out.  My wool blankets stay cleaner longer. No matted hair, no crusty dried sweat.

Country Supply sells a knock off version that is cheaper than the Dixie Midnight,  It's black vs being Blue.  But they are the same thing.  They come a little big and square and you just cut them to size with some sissors.  They work for me on my horses. I hate wet saddle blankets that don't dry in the winter. I hate wet saddle blankets that add pounds of weight when they fill with sweat during the summer. My wife hates me washing dirty blankets in her washing machine. This solves those problems.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-12 9:46 AM (#168371 - in reply to #95030)

Can you tell me what the knock off product name is? I was just shown a Dixie Midnight and was very impressed.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)