'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Lakota Huts

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-10-27 4:36 PM
23 replies, 13597 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MiniHorseGirl
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-20 5:43 PM (#167745)
Subject: Lakota Huts

Hi,New to this forum. I am looking into buying a 2008 Lakota Hut. I wanted to hear some opinions/reviews of it. All of the reviews on facebook give me the impression that most of the owners are very happy with theirs. Have you ever had trouble with one? I read a forum about one with bad swaying issues (on here I believe) when they had two horses in it, but it in the end was chalked up to a bent axle. Is that a manufacturer error or did that happen from use? I also read on that forum that only the first 7 trailers built in 06 had these problems, is this correct or did I read this wrong? Also.. tongue weight. I am not familiar with most trailer terms and I am trying to educate myself so I can be pleased and happy with whatever I buy, not regretful. I don't really understand tongue weight.. Anybody willing to explain it to a dummy? Lol. The trailer I'm looking at has a weight of 6,000 pounds and the tongue weight is 1,100. Is that good/bad/okay? The trailer is honestly nicer than the goosenecks I've been looking at. I love everything about it. I just want to make sure it is SAFE, because my horses safety obviously comes before what I think is pretty! I will normally be hauling minis (as you may have inferred from my username). I show them the most. The trailer is a two horse. So I'd normally be hauling one to two minis. They weigh about 300-400 pounds. I also show my big paint, too. So she will be hauled sometimes by herself sometimes with a mini. I am not sure how much she weighs, probably about 1,200 at the most. She is 15.2hh. I read about bad axle placement in the earlier models. I think they were talking about the 06 models. Does anybody know if they were fixed by the 2008 ones? The trailer I'm looking at has sway bars and a stabilizer hitch that comes with it. The reason I'm interested in bumper pull living quarters is because I drive my minis, and everywhere I think I could put my cart with a gooseneck seems like a big hassle. I have a bumper pull right now with no living quarters and I love the fact that with a bumper pull I can just put my cart in the bed of the truck. I pull with a 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 and it pulls my current trailer very well. So.. enough babbling on my part. What are your opinions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-07-20 10:05 PM (#167748 - in reply to #167745)
Subject: RE: Lakota Huts

Expert

I'd first like to applaud your pre-purchase research. I know nothing of the Lakota brand or the "hut" BP LQ trailers as I've had no personal experience with them. I will offer a choice with your cart, if it's a two wheel pleasure cart (sulky style) then you can still put it in front of most GN's if you have a long bed truck. Another method is to have two brackets added to the rear door(s) and allow the cart to hang on them with the shafts pointed toward the sky (I'll post a link to a picture.) I personally HATED dragging carts onto the roof back in the day. I did walk off the roof once and thankfully grabbed onto a tree limb on my way to the ground. I'm still not sure how the stinking cart didn't fall off and try to impale me with the shafts. I owe a huge thank you to the trees that line the Athens, TX show grounds. Here is the picture from the Eby trailer website, this little folding rack is quite handy! http://www.mheby.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/5-6-Horse-Pacesette...
MiniHorseGirl
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-20 11:10 PM (#167751 - in reply to #167748)

That is an neat little rack for the cart. You'd have to get the cart onto the roof to put it in that? That seems difficult. See, I go to a lot of local shows too, so I wouldn't be able to put my cart in front of the gooseneck because I wouldn't be able to get it out by myself without unhitching the trailer. That's why I like bumper pulls. Again, if it turns out that bumper pull lqs would not be a safe for my ponies, I'd figure out a way to deal with the cart. The bumper pull would just make it a lot easier and that is a big plus.Thanks for replying!
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2016-07-20 11:20 PM (#167752 - in reply to #167745)

Veteran

I have it from a very reliable source that the cause of the sway was the trailer hit something such as a curb. I have owned a 4 horse 10LQ for 9 years now and have been pleased with Lakota's service and willingness to answer questions. My selling dealer left much to be desired. I now go to Lakota of Ohio, they know customer service.Think of tongue weight as the weight the truck must carry. Your 6,000 pound trailer with 1,000 pounds of tongue weight leaves 5,000 pounds for the trailer tires and axles to carry and 1,000 pounds is added just like stuff you put in the bed to take with you like hay. Make sure your truck can handle the added weight. I believe all 1/2 tons and some of the compact trucks can handle a 2 horse HUT on the flats below 4,500 feet above sea level.If you need more explanation I will help in the morning but there are several others who are more articulate than I who may chime in.
MiniHorseGirl
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-20 11:37 PM (#167753 - in reply to #167752)

My truck is a 3/4 ton and it can tow up to 10,200lb. I've seen people towing theirs with 1/2 tons so I think my truck could handle it. I live in Michigan. I don't know if the Lakota headquarters repairs or fixes things themselves but they're only an hpur away so that's a plus for a Lakota trailer. Thanks for the explanation on tongue weight :). Most of the people on facebook who reviewed it didn't have any trouble with swaying, some people said they did but then they got a stabilizer hitch and tow bars and didn't have any problems. Then I was looking at reviews of them on forums and the swaying seemed to be a big deal. They all kind of sounded like they didn't OWN a HUT, they just heard things about it. A couple of people referred to the forum on here ( before it was resolved). So I think those people just heard those things, hadn't actually had any experiences with it. Then I read about the axle placement being bad and just wondered if people on here knew if that was fixed in the 2008 models. I would assume it was- but who knows. I just don't want to put my horses in something that is unsafe. The swaying problems don't seem to be that common. Guess there is bad apples in every bunch. Just want to make an educated buy and not regret it in the long run.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-07-21 8:05 AM (#167755 - in reply to #167745)

Expert

The picture I linked is loaded from the ground. The cart sits on the arm brackets mounted to the ramp and the two shafts point up to the sky and are secured to the shaft loops that are mounted on the roof. Look again. Here is another. http://www.iamranch.com/minirack.htm
MiniHorseGirl
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-21 8:31 AM (#167756 - in reply to #167755)

Oh I see it now. It was hard to tell without the cart in it, I didn't see the part on the bottom. Have you pulled a cart in one of those? Do they seem sturdy? We're going to look at a bumper pull living quarters today that popped up for sale in my ciry. Its a DixieStar trailer. The Lakota Hut is 5hrs away so this will give us an idea of what bumper pull trailers are like before we drive all the way up there. Still looking at goosenecks.. found a couple I like. What are good brands for gooseneck lqs? The Lakota ones are expensive. Looking at a used Trails West. Are those well made? It has a mid tack as well as a rear tack and three stalls so I'd have a lot of room for storage.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-07-21 10:54 AM (#167757 - in reply to #167745)

Expert

Have I pulled a cart in one, not personally. Have seen many of them at the CDE event I judge down in Texas. Are they sturdy, depends on if they are made to carry your exact cart. I wouldn't build one for a mini cart and then load it with a draft size Meadowbrook.
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2016-07-21 4:09 PM (#167760 - in reply to #167745)

Veteran

I have it on very good authority, the trailer with the sway issues had an incident that caused the sway, not a construction issue.
MiniHorseGirl
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-21 6:23 PM (#167764 - in reply to #167760)

Oh good! That makes me feel better :).I went to look at the Dixie Star today and it was pretty cool. It was a little tight, didn't really like the way the lq was designed but it was really nice and I'd still use it regardless! Can't wait to see the Lakota. The woman who had the Dixie Star lives in the same area we do, and she said she had no issues with sway at all. She used sway bars on the Illinois Toll Road, but she said she didn't need to use them at all to go to local shows. I probably still would, though. The DixieStar was a little smaller than the Lakota, the Lakota is 3' feet longer and 1' wider. I felt confident that my truck will be able to haul the DixieStar so I think it will be the same for a Lakota. We'll see, though :).
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2016-07-22 4:36 AM (#167769 - in reply to #167745)

Elite Veteran

I don't know about stability on the road, or anything else, but they are flippin adorable!! I met a nice lady at Flyin R who pulls one with a dually with a bed tonneau. It was the sharpest looking rig around! Made me wish I had one for short trips riding...
MiniHorseGirl
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-22 1:04 PM (#167776 - in reply to #167769)

They are cute for sure! I love the living quarters in the Hut.. fancier than the goosenecks that I'm looking at!
MiniHorseGirl
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-22 7:10 PM (#167778 - in reply to #167745)

We often haul a mini and horse together.m where would we place the horse and mini for best weight distribution and sway? I was thinking horse in the first stall, mini in the second. What do you think?
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-07-22 7:57 PM (#167779 - in reply to #167745)

Expert

The horse in the first would be best if this were not a BP LQ trailer. This is where a good set of scales will be your best tool in figuring this out. You will need to watch the tongue weight with this rig, if you put the horse in the back and the mini in the first stall you might have the ability to lighten the tongue weight if needed. It really comes down to axle placement when you play this balancing act. Here is a great link on how to get the tongue weight. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.... I encourage you to protect the mini from crawling under the divider and becoming stomped by the horse. They might stay in their slant space during normal operation but I would be worried about this most during emergency maneuvers or emergency braking.
MiniHorseGirl
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-22 10:02 PM (#167780 - in reply to #167779)

My minis can't fit fully under the dividers, they're on the taller side of minis. The tongue weight of the trailer is 1100 pounds. My big horse is 1200lbs and my minis are around 300 lbs. Should the tongue weight be more than the weight in the back to prevent swaying or the other way around?
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-07-23 8:02 AM (#167785 - in reply to #167745)

Expert

You can only answer this question by using a scale...
Koellingmules
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-12 12:29 PM (#168373 - in reply to #167769)

I have a 2007 Lakota Hut 13' short wall 2 horse bumper pull LQ trailer. My trailer is 8 ft high and 8 ft wide. My big 16.2 hand mare can actually turn around and walk out the back door instead of backing out. I just love the trailer. I pull it with a '98 1 ton 4x4 dodge dually. The trailer has a 12,000 GVW rating on it. It's no lightweight trailer. I use a beefy 5000 lb rated drop hitch and an equalizer hitch. I experienced the tail wagging the dog many many years ago on another trailer. It wasn't pleasant. I do go to the Flying R Ranch frequently, but no tonneau cover on my truck.
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-09-12 4:51 PM (#168374 - in reply to #167745)

Extreme Veteran

I am acquainted with a lady from the area who pulls a Hut, and it is really cute. I would be glad to forward her info via a pm if you wish. I once camped with her, and she gave me a tour. I think she's had it several years. I would agree about Lakota's customer service. It can't be beaten. Good luck with your decision.   
koellingmules
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-15 3:13 PM (#168388 - in reply to #168373)

Just had my first failure with my 2007 Lakota Hut, and it's a big one. The top of the "hut" just came loose from the hinge along the top and ended up in my arms as I was lifting it to set it up. That thing is heavy!! I just managed to get it put back vertical and locked down. Lakota basically said too bad, so sad sucks to be you. I figured that the trailer would last structurally for more than 9 years. September 2007 Model. I'm afraid to even pull it somewhere to fix it. The wall/top piece is not secured at the top now. I have kept it garaged since I have owned it too.
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-16 12:44 PM (#168392 - in reply to #167745)

I saw a shop having to do some similar type of repair on an ALiner travel trailer the other day. It was about 6 years old. On your HUT, I'd say just get it to an RV or trailer shop. They see things like this very regularly.
Koellingmules
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-20 1:59 PM (#168411 - in reply to #168392)

Thanks for your suggestion. Didn't want to spend all that money.

I fixed it myself with the assistance of 2 tall friends and a drywall lift/jack. The HUT wall/roof was just pop riveted on. Definitely not the good quality that I expected to find. We screwed the wall back onto the hinge. Door works better than new new again. Hooray for Do It Yourselfers. Cost me $45 for lift/jack rental. A whole lot less than taking it to a dealer.

RV sales company in town wouldn't touch it because it is also a horse trailer.

With a huge new deep cycle marine battery, new 3500 lb electric jack (came with a 2500 lb jack) and sturdy wall re-attachment, I have my 20,000 trailer back.

Any buyers out there, looking at an RV to take oversized hubby with me.
Whoaboy
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-29 3:35 PM (#168500 - in reply to #167745)

I have a HUT, 2011 model and have had no issues pulling or stopping, I use the equalizer hitch and sway bars on long trips and pull with a 3/4 ton truck
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-10-05 7:41 AM (#168548 - in reply to #167745)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry to hear about your dealings with Lakota over the issue. I hope you went directly to the main office. I've had nothing but the best service from them. Even wanted to pay for a new tire after a blow-out, which I didn't. The are so willing to get you back on the road. Friend with a HUT had some snafu (can't recall), and she got a new replacement at no cost.
Mainly, glad you got your trailer fixed and that it didn't turn out to be as bad as anticipated. Labor costs can really clean out the pockets fast.

Dixie
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-10-27 4:36 PM (#168765 - in reply to #167745)

Here is my Dixie star with a new layout if you are interested:

https://www.facebook.com/MontanaHorseTrailers/photos/a.2605055906958...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)