'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
horse loading order?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-08-26 10:38 PM
2 replies, 3471 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hopin4sun
Reg. May 2016
Posted 2016-08-25 12:36 PM (#168164)
Subject: horse loading order?

I tried to do a search on this and couldn't find anything, sorry if it has been asked before. When hauling horses in a gooseneck, where is the best location for the heaviest horse?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2016-08-25 1:39 PM (#168165 - in reply to #168164)
Subject: RE: horse loading order?

Veteran

Depends on your trailer configuration - straight haul, slant or stall format.
The biggest horse is often also the tallest, widest and longest.
In our 3H slant haul trailer, we always put the largest horse in the back stall, as it has the most room for him.
With a straight haul trailer, he would go on the driver side ... as i would want more weight away from the curb.
On a compartment type of trailer (like a stock trailer), the forward compartment makes the most sense to me to spread the weight between the axles and the gooseneck hitch.
Regard, 3CW
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-08-26 10:38 PM (#168184 - in reply to #168164)
Subject: RE: horse loading order?

Expert

In a BP trailer the heaviest horse goes over the axles in a slant.  Straight, then driver side.  In a GN it depends on the trailer, but if you have every stall filled then the heaviest could go in the back.  I put the horse over the axles when there is only one, if every slant is full then load from best hauler to worst (in the second to last stall.)  This helps you put the idiots at the end where you can get to them, so they don't destroy your trailer waiting on the other horses to load and unload.  Never leave a buddy sour horse in the trailer alone while you head into the barn/vet/etc.  If you have a nasty kicker they go in the last stall, so that others aren't injured (very important if you've ever used a kick chain.)  It's all about safety!  Good Luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)