'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Your Favorite Horse Camp with Trail access.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-08-30 8:46 AM
5 replies, 5673 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rhooton
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2016-08-25 4:42 PM (#168170)
Subject: Your Favorite Horse Camp with Trail access.

Regular

Hoping to get you diehard Horse Camping and Trail Riding people to chime in and tell us what is your favorite Horse Camp w/Trails and why.  We have several:  Winding River Resort in Colorado, great camp with corrals, hookups, shower house, camp store and very nice trails in the RMNP & Arapahoe National Forest...down point is all the beetle damage to the forest.  Another is Elk Haven Horse Camp in South Dakota, another great camp with corrals, hookups, showers and camp great hosts and lots of trails in the Black Hills National Forest and even Mt. Rushmore.  Another nice camp is Cedar Lake Horse Camp in Oklahoma.  This is a state operated camp with lots of trails and great campsites. corrals, nice shower house and plenty of trails.  Another is Ebenezer Horse Camp on Lake Sam Rayburn in east Texas.  This is a very nice Corp of Engineers camp with hookups, corrals, shower house and nice trails.  This is just 4 of our favorite ones...we have many, what are yours?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
honor
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2016-08-27 10:26 AM (#168195 - in reply to #168170)
Subject: RE: Your Favorite Horse Camp with Trail access.

Regular

High Knob in southern Illinois.  Has 5 different trailheads out of camp and plenty riding for a week or more.  Has stalls, high lines, hook-ups and shower houses.  Very reasonably priced.  Mostly forest riding so a lot of leaf peeping ihn the fall plus a lot of rock formations.  If you want to take a day off from riding, a lot of sight seeing to do like "Garden of the Gods".  I would call the trails moderate.  Big South Fork in eastern Tennessee is a great place with a lot of riding.  Over 200 miles of trails and a lot of campgrounds in that area.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2016-08-27 4:32 PM (#168199 - in reply to #168170)

Elite Veteran

Around here and close SW MO/ Ark/TN/KY/ILL; Flyin R Ranch-West Plains, Missouri/ Falling Waters- Pelsor, Arkansas/ Erbie- Buffalo River, Newton county, Arkansas/ Devil's Den- West Fork, Arkansas/ Land Between the Lakes-Wrangler horsecamp ****- Kentucky/ Shawnee National Forest- want to try a new camp there-Illinois/ East Fork camp near Jamestown, Tennessee/ Caprock Canyon- Quitaque, Texas/ Palo Duro Canyon- Texas/ Gila Nat'l Forest- New Mex/ Cody Wyoming// Some private place near Jackson Hole, Wyoming.... many others to love!
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-08-30 2:23 AM (#168233 - in reply to #168170)

Extreme Veteran

Great topic for discussion. I live in IL and have camped as far west as AZ three times now. We have stayed at King Stable in Apache Junction. Great facility. WES at each site. Huge covered pens with water right there. A large outdoor arena. Several large exercise pens and a round pen. One can ride right out of camp or trailer to other TH's. A favorite summer trip is WY. We've stayed at Burgess Junction and also Ten Sleep which is a wonderful oasis. There you have to travel quite a bit up into the Big Horns whereas Burgess Junction you ride right out of camp. I love WY. Wide open spaces. This year we camped at Winding River in CO. Lots of families with kids on bikes. I love little kids, and my horse isn't spooky about bikes, so that part didn't bother me. We were a large group, and out sites were scattered far apart which wasn't a big deal. My concern were the huge stumps on our site. Hubby had to really work to avoid all of the while backing into our spot. We were fearful of them scraping the holding tanks. Luckily, he was able to jockey us in and out when leaving. No sewer, just water and electric. As for IL, Shawnee is close to be and beautiful in the spring and fall. Either Hayes Canyon or High Knob. I believe you access the huge rock formations faster from High Knob. Nice accommodations at both camps. As for South Dakota, we like Broken Arrow Campground. Great covered horse pens. Clean camp sites. Can ride right out of camp to access trails. They have trailers for rent if you wish to go to other TH's. I'm hoping the new owners are as friendly as the previous ones whom we'd met all the times we stayed there before.  
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-08-30 2:24 AM (#168234 - in reply to #168170)

Extreme Veteran

Great topic for discussion. I live in IL and have camped as far west as AZ three times now. We have stayed at King Stable in Apache Junction. Great facility. WES at each site. Huge covered pens with water right there. A large outdoor arena. Several large exercise pens and a round pen. One can ride right out of camp or trailer to other TH's. A favorite summer trip is WY. We've stayed at Burgess Junction and also Ten Sleep which is a wonderful oasis. There you have to travel quite a bit up into the Big Horns whereas Burgess Junction you ride right out of camp. I love WY. Wide open spaces. This year we camped at Winding River in CO. Lots of families with kids on bikes. I love little kids, and my horse isn't spooky about bikes, so that part didn't bother me. We were a large group, and out sites were scattered far apart which wasn't a big deal. My concern were the huge stumps on our site. Hubby had to really work to avoid all of the while backing into our spot. We were fearful of them scraping the holding tanks. Luckily, he was able to jockey us in and out when leaving. No sewer, just water and electric. As for IL, Shawnee is close to be and beautiful in the spring and fall. Either Hayes Canyon or High Knob. I believe you access the huge rock formations faster from High Knob. Nice accommodations at both camps. As for South Dakota, we like Broken Arrow Campground. Great covered horse pens. Clean camp sites. Can ride right out of camp to access trails. They have trailers for rent if you wish to go to other TH's. I'm hoping the new owners are as friendly as the previous ones whom we'd met all the times we stayed there before.  
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2016-08-30 8:46 AM (#168238 - in reply to #168170)

Extreme Veteran

Sorry about the double post. I went to bed at 6:00 PM after a weekend of babysitting our toddler grand daughter who lives out of state. I woke up at midnight wide awake. Hot tea got me sleepy enough to hit "submit" one time too many. Can't find how to delete the 2nd one.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)