'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Merhow vs Elite trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-09-29 7:31 PM
6 replies, 9400 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Janeva
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-21 6:58 AM (#168416)
Subject: Merhow vs Elite trailers

I am looking at purchasing a LQ trailer and would like any opinions on both of these brands, not sure if it would be worth the addional money for the Elite
Thank you
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-21 7:14 AM (#168417 - in reply to #168416)
Subject: RE: Merhow vs Elite trailers

Seriously? Have you really looked at both? Your eyes don't lie.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-21 3:34 PM (#168424 - in reply to #168416)

Tex V.- From reading your posts over the years, you obviously know a lot about trailers. Thanks. Unfortunately, not all horse folks are very mechanical and may or may not appreciate the quality materials, fit and welds Elite does. All too often nowadays, quality is judged by the pretty of the cabinets.....

With that- to the first poster: I believe it is our opinion that Elite is an absolute top shelf trailer. They do not do interiors, so any LQ has gone to an interior company of the new buyer's choice to get the interior. I believe Merhow recently changed ownership and personnel, and is charting a direction for themselves. I cannot judge the quality as I've only seen a couple. But I have my suspicions that the structural elements will not be on the same level. Thus Tex V's comment may make more sense now.

Money difference- just depends on what is important to you.
Janeva
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-21 5:23 PM (#168427 - in reply to #168416)

One I did not post this to be chastised. Yes I have looked at both trailers and the "Elite" is complete eye candy. I am more concerned about structure and Longevity incorporating costs, I thought that both trailers in the horse area are well made. I don't want to be trailer poor and am not comparing a bison to the Elite either. I know the living quarters on the Elite is amazing, but the methow is nice with decent quality. If the main difference is in the finishes then I'd like to save my money. I don't really know that much about merhows and the reviews are good. I currently own a hart trailer and would love to stay with that brand, but not in my budget with LQ options. Just trying to do my research, used elites are slightly higher than a new merhow, but then you are not getting a warranty.
Thanks
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-21 5:48 PM (#168430 - in reply to #168427)

If you can't see the difference, then by all means go with the Merhow.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2016-09-22 12:42 PM (#168441 - in reply to #168416)

Elite Veteran

Merhow makes a decent trailer for light use. It does not compare to Hart or Elite.... look underneath. Get on the ground and see how the floors are strung, and how the welds are, and the weight/gauge of the aluminum in the structure. Pull one before you buy... I know they are less expensive.... you get what you pay for... its not just a saying.
Byron F. DVM
Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2016-09-29 7:31 PM (#168504 - in reply to #168416)

Working within your budget is important, and some trailers are just unaffordable to some folks. Simply looking at the pro-trainers, professional rodeo cowboys, etc... you'll see a very short list of trailers used because the less expensive, lower quality trailers simply self-destruct after a number of miles and hard use. Here's the list that we suggest our veterinary clients start with, there are others of course.

Platinum Coach, Elite, 4 Star, Hart, Twister, Bloomer (especially the older Bloomers). We don't recommend the Featherlite, Exiss, most of the Sundowner line, etc... because they are not engineered or built with equivalent materials to the tougher trailers.

Sometimes the best choice is to go with a tough, albeit heavier all-steel trailer that fits your budget. The living quarters quality increases the cost dramatically. Some of the manufacturers install camper-trailer quality cabinets consisting of fiberboard with wood-look vinyl. That is going to be a lot cheaper than a solid hardwood custom interior from someone like Outlaw Interiors.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)