'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer tire issue help

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-11-02 3:34 PM
1 replies, 3631 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2016-11-02 10:15 AM (#168809)
Subject: Trailer tire issue help

Reading trailer tire threads make me feel like I'm reading another language but I need help.

I want to price some new tires for my horse trailer.  I suspect that the tires that are on there now are not exactly trailer tires.  They say 
6.70-15LT Tubeless on them and look pretty old. I prayed like hell all the way home with these things. I am NOT hauling my horses in this trailer on THOSE tires.   So I need new ones. 

I went to Discount Tires website because I have store credit there and I figured this would be a good thing to put on the card.  But it's asking for section width and aspect ratio.  I can fill in Wheel Diameter at 15, but I have no idea what the other two are for ...

On top of that, a couple of my friends told me to get LT truck tires (which is what led me to believe the tires on there now may not be trailer tires) because it offers a smoother quieter ride ... which is odd then why do they have trailer tires?

Hellllllllllp  please!!!!

I have a 1980 Hale 2 horse straight load Tandem Floating axle if that helps at ALL

I also need to pick up a rim for it for a spare.  Do I just waltz in to anywhere and pick up a random 6 lug rim and roll?  I find that to be not believeable. How do I know what rim goes on my trailer?!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2016-11-02 3:34 PM (#168810 - in reply to #168809)
Subject: RE: Trailer tire issue help

Veteran

that is the old tire way for sizing tires for a tire that is about 27.5" inches tall, the new way to size tires is  a bit different, but if you want a modern replacement i would go with a ST225/75R15 which is about 28.3" inches or a bit less load capacity  you could also use a ST205/75R15 which is about 27.1 inches tall.  for a 15 inch tire i would go with a goodyear trailer tire.

I would not use lt tires that are 15 inch, if it was a 16 inch tire i would say your friend is right but lt tires that are 15 inch are really not lt tires, with few exceptions.

if you have a six lug wheel than more than likely it is a 6 on 5.5" circle which is a pretty standard chevy wheel. but if you go to a tire store they have a gauge that will tell you.

Edited by HOUSE 2016-11-02 3:39 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)