'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2H BP help - New vs Used, Slant vs Straight, Hawk vs other

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-12-15 9:57 AM
2 replies, 4176 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Over thinker
Reg. Dec 2016
Posted 2016-12-10 11:07 PM (#168961)
Subject: 2H BP help - New vs Used, Slant vs Straight, Hawk vs other

New User

I'm out to buy a trailer. I originally thought I wanted a 2H straight load but I have been borrowing a Royal T slant and the loading/unloading is so easy I'm considering a slant load. I'm in California. I have 1 horse just under 16H and a pony. I really only want to buy one trailer and be done, I don't have the budget for a new 4 Star or similar. The straight vs slant is getting to me (and I'm familiar with the pros/cons). Anyone familiar with the 2H slants from Hawk? Or any other helpful advice?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-12-12 4:09 PM (#168963 - in reply to #168961)
Subject: RE: 2H BP help - New vs Used, Slant vs Straight, Hawk vs other

Extreme Veteran

You will find that most manufacturers of slant bumper pulls or goosenecks will have stalls that are 39" wall length and will be 7' inside height.  Many are custom built otherwise but that is the starting point.  The standard for Hawk is 44" wall length and 7'4" inside height, a little roomier.  Again, they will increase those measurements in a custom order.  We are in an area where the predominant equine use is dressage, eventing, hunter/jumper.  There are often large and extra large horses to be hauled, and the  standard slants are very tight for them.  We sell many more straight load bumper tpulls than slants, and more than half of those are warmblood sized (80" wide x 7'8" tall with 11' stall length) .  Your pony won't care, but your horse might.  Incidentally, the wall length in a slant stall is more than the perpendicular width betweeen dividers, and most slant stall lengths are measured from the front right corner to the left rear corner.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-12-15 9:57 AM (#168980 - in reply to #168961)
Subject: RE: 2H BP help - New vs Used, Slant vs Straight, Hawk vs other

Expert

If you really are an over thinker then you know that the only constant will be your trailer.  Horses happily come and sadly go over time, so get the most adjustable/convertable type of trailer you can aford so that you'll be ready for whatever is around the next turn.  I find the straight load trailers to be suited to more things (sizes/types of horses) over time...I'm talking about nearly 30 years of use.  I've still got mine and yes it's steel construction.

You can also unload each horse in the event of an accident (inside or outside the trailer) or pulling out one horse at a time for the vet appointments in a straight load style trailer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)