'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Believe it or Not ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-01-17 11:12 AM
3 replies, 4038 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Slow ride
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2017-01-14 12:08 PM (#169120)
Subject: Believe it or Not ?

Went along with a neighbor to look at new trailers. The folks at the dealership claim after you clean out your aluminum trailer putting down baking soda will help prevent urine corrosion by neutralizing the acids. Does this work? TIA
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-01-16 6:05 AM (#169129 - in reply to #169120)
Subject: RE: Believe it or Not ?

Expert

Baking soda will neutralize the acids in urine if there is enough.  In the lab we use it to neutralize any spill, and that is what happens inside a trailer too.  I would however caution people to not think that this is a replacement for cleaning the trailer.  You still must pull those mats and wash with soap and water the floor and both sides of the mats.  One should never equate the words neutralize and clean.  Also knowing when you've used up all of the baking soda and need to recharge would be nearly impossible.  Once the baking soda has reacted and dried you won't be able to tell with your eyes and might still think it's ready to work when it will have already been used (it won't disappear but can't neutralize any more.)

Can it hurt the trailer?  No, but remember that baking soda is used in fine polishes so it is abrasive and has the potential to damage in this way.
How much should I use?  More than just a dusting but less than a solid layer.
How often should I replace it?  Everytime you clean your trailer, cleaning can't be replaced even with this.  Storing a trailer dirty is very harmful and there isn't any short cut.
Underneath or on top of the mats?  Yes, to both as long as you use bedding to keep it from becoming airborne and causing problems with eyes/lungs.  There are also reported links to cancer but these could be nothing more than conjecture.  Do your own research if you want to chase rabbits, I'm just giving you the heads up.

Your resident Chemist signing out...

Edited by huntseat 2017-01-16 6:09 AM
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2017-01-16 8:33 AM (#169130 - in reply to #169120)

Extreme Veteran

Been doing it for years. Dollar General gives you a weird look when you buy all their baking soda. I don't know if it helps, but I think it might. I just put it under the seams of the mats and where the walls meet the mat. Mostly on the butt side.  A fine dusting is my plan. It does dull the floor but so far, on our 4 year old Hart, that I clean out completely 4 times a year, no corrosion at all.....you do turn into a ghost when you put it down.

Terrye
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2017-01-17 11:12 AM (#169134 - in reply to #169120)

I do the same thing. 
The previous owner had some pitting and started doing this.
I pull mats once a year.

Terry

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World