'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
want to do what is right in a trade...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-01-22 9:58 AM
2 replies, 121 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lea Anne
Posted 2017-01-21 8:20 PM (#169152)
Subject: want to do what is right in a trade...

Veteran

We have are getting ready to trade for a 5 yr newer trailer that I found on this site.  After an exchange of e-mails I sent a small deposit to hold the trailer until we could make the 5+ hr trip between Winter storms.  We are hoping to make the trip Monday.  All I have to go by is the pictures posted and all they have to go on are the pictures that I have sent to them.  I just purchased new tires this last summer and they have agreed to swap our tires for the tires on the trailer currently.  In getting ready for this trip I am concerned that my batteries need to be replaced.  I was planning on nursing them along and then replacing them this Spring. I am not sure what to do about the exchange.  I don't want to pawn them off in the exchange.  I don't think I could get away with it even if I wanted to as I imagine that by the time I get there the batteries won't even allow the hydraulic jack to work to get the trailer unhitched!  I was thinking about replacing them before we go but I don't want to include them in the trade and since I don't know the condition of the trailer that I am buying, I might end up having to buy new batteries for it also.  I'm thinking maybe since they will be swapping out the tires I could ask them if it would be fair to just trade out the batteries too, and I would keep my bad batteries.  Do you think that would be a fair way to do it? 
I have never purchased a used trailer before.  It is a 2012 so hopefully it will match the pictures! 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
grumpyoldman
Posted 2017-01-22 7:49 AM (#169156 - in reply to #169152)
Subject: RE: want to do what is right in a trade...

If I was a betting man, I'd say the dealer taking your trade has allowed more than enough difference in your trade in price to make up for items like tires and batteries.  That's the reason trade in prices are usually so low.  Believe me, they aren't going to lose money if they know what they are doing.  they usually have connections for  better pricing on those items then you could buy retail anyway.

I'd be more concerned with going through your "new" trailer with a fine tooth comb, structurally and cosmetic wise to make sure you're happy with everything.  Don't think just because it's a 2012 it's in good shape.  I've seen one yr old trailers that are abused and I've seen ten yr old ones that look new.....Just due your due diligence and anything you find, just make sure you can live with and won't have any second thoughts after they get your money.  One last thing, if there are any issues to be resolved later, if you don't get it on paper, it never happened....

Hope everything works out well....

Edited by grumpyoldman 2017-01-22 7:52 AM
cajunmuleman
Posted 2017-01-22 9:58 AM (#169157 - in reply to #169152)
Subject: RE: want to do what is right in a trade...

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Grumpy. You are in the drivers seat. Ask for what ever you want. The most they can say is no. Also I agree, nothing beats getting anything agreed upon in writing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)