'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
want to do what is right in a trade...

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-02-12 7:37 PM
27 replies, 9992 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-01-21 8:20 PM (#169152)
Subject: want to do what is right in a trade...

Veteran

We have are getting ready to trade for a 5 yr newer trailer that I found on this site.  After an exchange of e-mails I sent a small deposit to hold the trailer until we could make the 5+ hr trip between Winter storms.  We are hoping to make the trip Monday.  All I have to go by is the pictures posted and all they have to go on are the pictures that I have sent to them.  I just purchased new tires this last summer and they have agreed to swap our tires for the tires on the trailer currently.  In getting ready for this trip I am concerned that my batteries need to be replaced.  I was planning on nursing them along and then replacing them this Spring. I am not sure what to do about the exchange.  I don't want to pawn them off in the exchange.  I don't think I could get away with it even if I wanted to as I imagine that by the time I get there the batteries won't even allow the hydraulic jack to work to get the trailer unhitched!  I was thinking about replacing them before we go but I don't want to include them in the trade and since I don't know the condition of the trailer that I am buying, I might end up having to buy new batteries for it also.  I'm thinking maybe since they will be swapping out the tires I could ask them if it would be fair to just trade out the batteries too, and I would keep my bad batteries.  Do you think that would be a fair way to do it? 
I have never purchased a used trailer before.  It is a 2012 so hopefully it will match the pictures! 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
grumpyoldman
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2017-01-22 7:49 AM (#169156 - in reply to #169152)
Subject: RE: want to do what is right in a trade...

If I was a betting man, I'd say the dealer taking your trade has allowed more than enough difference in your trade in price to make up for items like tires and batteries.  That's the reason trade in prices are usually so low.  Believe me, they aren't going to lose money if they know what they are doing.  they usually have connections for  better pricing on those items then you could buy retail anyway.

I'd be more concerned with going through your "new" trailer with a fine tooth comb, structurally and cosmetic wise to make sure you're happy with everything.  Don't think just because it's a 2012 it's in good shape.  I've seen one yr old trailers that are abused and I've seen ten yr old ones that look new.....Just due your due diligence and anything you find, just make sure you can live with and won't have any second thoughts after they get your money.  One last thing, if there are any issues to be resolved later, if you don't get it on paper, it never happened....

Hope everything works out well....

Edited by grumpyoldman 2017-01-22 7:52 AM
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-01-22 9:58 AM (#169157 - in reply to #169152)

Elite Veteran

I agree with Grumpy. You are in the drivers seat. Ask for what ever you want. The most they can say is no. Also I agree, nothing beats getting anything agreed upon in writing
grumpyoldman
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2017-01-27 2:03 PM (#169196 - in reply to #169152)

How did your trade go?
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2017-01-28 8:18 AM (#169197 - in reply to #169152)

Elite Veteran

Well, I am assuming they've given you an offer for your trailer. And I'm sure that you've asked all kinds of questions about tires, batteries, operating conditions and so on about the one you are buying- did you give them the same information about yours? If you know that your batteries are shot, and are selling it knowing that info without disclosing it to a buyer, then that may be getting shady. So just make sure they know, and you can decide together what to do. Have a good friend who is a dealer, and they are generally quite reasonable about such things. They want happy customers. 
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-01-29 9:39 PM (#169207 - in reply to #169152)

Veteran

It went very well! In fact my husband thinks they may have gouged me good! I'm happy though with the trailer. I had the trailer plugged in for a couple of days, waiting for suitable driving weather. It was about a six hour trip and sure enough, first thing we pushed the button on the hydraulic jack and it did not have enough charge to lift the trailer off the truck so they got a charger. They thought the drive should have kept the charge. What are your thoughts here? Is there something wrong with my wiring? I have a 2011 Ford diesel and the plugs seem to work well with any trailer we attach, but I have noticed before that after traveling the batteries weren't charged.Anyway, I appologized and told them I didn't have a problem with trading out the batteries with the new trailer as he told me they had put new ones on my new purchase...he said no, no problem!I ended up not trading the tires as he assured me that the previous owner had just purchased new ones last year and they were Wranglers. They looked very good to my husband. I told the salesman that I was concerned if they were actually 4 year old tires, even though they looked good, but he assured me they were not. They looked brand new.So now I need your advice on what kind of a trickle charger I need to purchase. We don't do a very good job of monitoring our batteries. My trailer stays in the barn and I plug it in every so often but those last batteries got run all the way down more than once. I turn the main power switch off after I get them charger. Thanks in advance!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2017-01-29 11:13 PM (#169208 - in reply to #169152)

Expert

sound like you did real good  have fun 
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-01-30 8:38 AM (#169211 - in reply to #169152)

Veteran

Maybe I should make my last part a new post? 
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-01-31 11:31 AM (#169214 - in reply to #169152)

Veteran

Well, so much for me trying to do the right thing.  I am way too trusting!  I don't know what to do about it.
As I mentioned above, the trailer was everything and more than I expected.  But the one thing that I tried to make sure of was that I had good tires.  My last trailer was not used that much.  Only pulled long distance 1 time a year and kept in the barn except for 3 summer months when I was using it.  I was preached at by my children that even though my tires looked great they were old.  My trailer was a 2007 that I purchased new 2008.  I bit the bullet and replaced all the tires in July last year.  I wanted to prevent having a blow out which is dangerous in itself;  I didnt want to have to repair a wheel well on an alluminum trailer!  So I made this deal that they would trade me tires and then I let him (the salesman) talk me out of it because they looked so good!!!   Why did he do that?  We were there during working hours and they had a shop crew.  Why would he risk me having an accident?  He told me that he called the previous owner and she said that she had just replaced them this summer.  Either she is lying (why would she at this point...she traded it in) or he is;  or he doesn't know what he is dealing with as far as aged tires go.  Wish I knew then what I know now.  Thanks to Facebook and a page that I follow I came across a link to "Tirebuyer.com"  and it tells where to find the age of a tire!!  My trailer which is a 2012 doesn't even have matching tires.  Two of them were made in the 3rd week of 2012 and one was made in the 24th week of 2011 and one was made the 51st week of 2013.  I have one tire that is almost 7 years old!!
Any suggestions besides letting them know that I will tell evey horse person I know not to buy a trailer there!  Give him the benefit of the doubt that the previous owner told him that?  Her name will be on the title when I get it back, won't it?  Maybe I can find out from her if he is lying. 

cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-01-31 7:21 PM (#169220 - in reply to #169152)

Elite Veteran

I think he ( the salesman ) should know how it read the age of a tire if he is going to represent them as a point of sale, or simply say"I don't know" then it is up to you to make a decesion. I is easy to read the age and it is posted all over the internet
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-01-31 8:30 PM (#169221 - in reply to #169152)

Veteran

He did not know.  He called her the morning that I picked the trailer up and he told me she said that she had just replaced them this summer. 

TS351
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2017-02-01 8:05 AM (#169222 - in reply to #169152)

Regular

If it were me, I would call and speak to the owner ( not the salesman)and tell them what happened and that-
1-You are not happy 
2- Their salesman misrepresented part of the sale that you clearly were concerned about and discussed ( and any salesman that knows anything about trailers knows how to find the age of the tires, or should)
3- Since they misrepresented the tires as being only a few months old you will be putting new tires on and THEY will be paying for them 
4- Don't take No for an answer-any reputable dealer would make things right by you

Good luck
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2017-02-01 9:38 AM (#169225 - in reply to #169152)

Expert

Unfortunately...Due diligence is ALWAYS necessary on the part of a buyer...The items you bring up now should have been addressed BEFORE you rolled off the lot...:(

The fact that you are HOURS away means you are unlikey to ever be a customer of theirs again...so I recmmend you chalk this up to experience and plan on opening your wallet to fix the things you need fixed...

As to the idea of bad mouthing them...be careful because you are strident enough to affect their sales, you could be sued for libel/slander...especially if you do NOT have facts in writing or videoed...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2017-02-01 9:44 AM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-02-01 9:47 AM (#169226 - in reply to #169152)

Expert

As the buyer it was your job to go and read the tires or ask for the guarantee in writing.  I bet he never even called the owner but he said it to make you feel good and get the deal done.  Calling the owner/manager won't do you any good either.  Chalk it up as a learning experience and buy new tires.  I'm almost certain the sale was as-is no warranty as it was a used item.  As for the salesman putting you at risk, you did that yourself by not checking the tires.  He is too far away for you to really impact his sales and the law is most likely on his side in this matter.  I hate that this happened to you but you did get the trailer you wanted and you did get home safe.  I always operate by that saying "trust but verify."
grumpyoldman
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2017-02-01 10:02 AM (#169227 - in reply to #169152)

You've heard from both ends of the spectrum on advice.  Personally, I would call the person in charge and politely and firmly tell him your concerns and what you were told.  Keep your emotions out of it and tell him the facts, if you call demanding, they will likely tell you it was as-is.  The worst is you pay for new tires, the best is they pay the bill.  I would ask for new tires and hopefully settle in the middle with them paying for half.  As you've heard, the blame does fall on both parties.  Unfortunately, the buyer usually learns this after they get home as you did.  Most would not go look at the serial numbers and figure out the month and year of the tires.  But like many of us including me...I bet you do next time....Good luck and let us know how it turns out. 
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-02-01 11:41 AM (#169228 - in reply to #169152)

Veteran

Thank you for your caring manner, Grumpy (not), believe me, if I had known that I could verify the tire age, I most certainly would have done so since that was a big big issue of mine.  I guess I'm not so smart as other folks on here are, so I was at the salesman's mercy.  I am a retired registered nurse, so this is not my area of expertise.  I guess I'm fortunate that I actually stumbled on that particular topic yesterday, otherwise I would be driving down the road totally confident that I had good tires! 
P.C. As far as me being a possible future customer, this is the second trip that I have made North for a trailer purchase.  I received complimentry sweatshirts, key chains and hats which means they care about their advertising, one would think, but this is bad business!

grumpyoldman
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2017-02-01 11:58 AM (#169229 - in reply to #169152)

Don't sell yourself short.  The only reason most people are "smarter" than someone is becuase they or a friend found out about something the "hard" way.  It's called life experience for a reason.  If you have to buy new tires, then buy them and enjoy your trailer.  I'm sure you will be talking to someone soon and share your experience when you hear about them looking for a trailer and maybe you will save someone else some heartache!
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-02-01 1:21 PM (#169230 - in reply to #169152)

Elite Veteran

I disagree as far as you not being a future customer. Today we live in a nationwide ( and sometimes worldwide market ). I personally have crossed two state lines to have my trailer serviced just because I could. Traveling far to purchase a trailer is not out of the question. As stated my several others, I would start off by speaking to the owner about the facts with a cool head, and possible asking to split the bill, but demanding NO CHINEESE TIRES
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-02-01 2:20 PM (#169232 - in reply to #169152)

Veteran

Well, I just got off the phone with the owner of the trailer sales.  Call me a chump if you want but I believe what he said.  He is a personal friend of the lady that owned this trailer.  He was traveling with her this Fall when they had to replace two of the tires on the trailer and they made sure that it matched the tires that were on the trailer, which are Goodyear Wranglers.  Then he pulled a set of tires off a trailer that he had on his lot to match when they got it ready for sale.  He says he did not get down and inspect the tires to see what year they were made but he assures me that they are new tires.  He says if I have any problems then to let him know.  He assured me that I do not have to go out and purchase new tires.  I guess I'm too trusting but I'm going to go with it.    The salesman had told me previously that the owner knew the lady. 
Thanks to everyone.

cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2017-02-01 5:20 PM (#169236 - in reply to #169152)

Elite Veteran

Good Luck, I hope it works out and you get many miles!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your new trailier
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-02-01 6:54 PM (#169237 - in reply to #169152)

Veteran

Thank you!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-02-03 11:34 AM (#169249 - in reply to #169152)

Expert

Good luck this coming hauling season. 
lv2rde
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2017-02-04 3:30 PM (#169271 - in reply to #169152)

New User

Just my opinion, but traveling without horses and having a blowout is one thing, but traveling "with" horses and having a blowout can be a pain! We've learned the hardway ourselves! Do yourselves and your horses a favor and buy new tires! We bought 14 ply this last time. We now carry a cordless impact driver, and a Jiffy Jack (tire ramp) with us ALWAYS!! Better to be safe then sorry!! 
Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2017-02-05 9:22 AM (#169280 - in reply to #169152)

Veteran

Well, I guess I'm a slow learner.  When I talked to the dearlership owner....his attitude was like...you dummy, they are new tires.  He assured me that I was'nt going to have any problems.  I am just too trusting and gullible.  I really had no understanding about the issue of tires with age, except that I knew that I had new tires, or I thought I did as I sure didn't check the date on them when I purchased them!  God must be watching over me because I keep running into this topic on the internet.  After my discussion with the owner and was feeling so reassured, I ran into a discussion on another web site which made me realize that age is age and that they can rot on the shelf.   I am definitely getting new tires.  I just cannot believe that the dealership would be so dishonest and that there is no protection from businesses like that.  Thanks to all.
Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2017-02-05 3:00 PM (#169284 - in reply to #169152)

Veteran

In the end, you are responsible because you signed for and took delivery of the trailer with the tires that were on it. Always assume it is a situation of "Buyer Beware". If you had told the dealer you were going to switch out the tires from your old trailer, and they had agreed to it, it falls back on you for not following through.

In 2015, I bought a used LQ that was built in 2003. The tires looked fine- no signs of excessive wear or dry rot. BUT, when I looked closer there were three different brands of tires, and two were original to the trailer. Since the trailer was being sold "as is, where is", I made arrangements through the dealer to have 5 new tires put on by a local tire company before I picked it up and did the paperwork.

I knew what 5 tires would cost to replace and figured that into the cost of the trailer. Tires are a safety item I will not chance having issues with, so I took care of it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)