'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Logan Coach Trailer Review

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-02-07 1:25 PM
9 replies, 13916 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kvanderv
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2017-01-29 9:13 AM (#169199)
Subject: Logan Coach Trailer Review

I am looking at buying a new 2017 Logan Coach LQ trailer as I fell in love with the whiz proof flooring, the quality of the trailer and was bummed to find out it is galvaneeled steel frame with aluminum skin and floor. I had been told in the past to stay away from that type of trailer so I am now skeptical. It does have the 3M vortex on all steel pieces so there is No exposed steel anywhere but does this hold up as I am looking to keep this trailer long term. Would love help deciding if I should stick to all aluminum or give this trailer a try, as when I have looked a Bison I do not like the way they hold up? Steel is safer if in an accident, that is a good benefit. Thank you for anyone with knowledge on this as I want a non biased opinion (not a sales person that wants to sell me a trailer :-))
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
kvanderv
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2017-01-31 12:32 PM (#169218 - in reply to #169199)
Subject: RE: Logan Coach Trailer Review

I should include that I would like to know other people's experience with the steel frame/aluminum skin trailers (and if your experience was with the gavaneel/galvanized steel or plain old black steel, and did yours have any coating like Logan's have with the 3M vortex spray on lining material) I know Sundowner had such a frame with what they called Suncoat lining their flooring, etc and they had issues with it from my memory.

I see the benefits to the steel frames are cost, safety and weight of the trailer, but would it be better to stick with all aluminum?
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-02-01 9:21 AM (#169223 - in reply to #169199)

Expert

You know you can get the flooring you like put in any trailer, right?  The Sundowners were black steel and yes tape was used but the problem was when the suncoating failed it literally created pockets that held moisture up next to the steel.  The steel frames crumbled under the pretty skin sheets.  Galvanizing steel is a process that is far superior to spraying on a bed-liner type material (suncoating) the Zinc actually chemically bonds to the steel and that's why you see the crystalline patterns that look like scales on galvanized steel. Depending on where you are in the country and what they spray the roads with during winter would really help in getting some sound advice about the durability of the trailers you are considering.  I wouldn't hesitate to get a Logan if there was a dealer near me.  Properly maintaining your trailer will also really help with its longevity.

kvanderv
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2017-02-02 10:49 AM (#169241 - in reply to #169223)

Thank you!! I do know about adding flooring to trailers but I have also heard there are issues with WERM flooring if not applied correctly, etc. I had heard a lot of stories about the issues with Sundowner and a bad batch of steel and maybe that the suncoating was not the best way to go. There are things I love about teh Sundowners, 4Star, Elite, etc...but cost is a huge concern of course. The Logan is in my price range to get a new one. I am hearing more and more the steel frames are a safer choice in case you are ever in an accident...I just really want to make sure the trailer holds up and I don't have the issues like Sundowner and Trail-et had with the process not working.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-02-03 11:55 AM (#169250 - in reply to #169241)

Expert

I have the WERM floor in my Elite but had it installed at the factory.  Most application problems occur due to inexperience by the applicator and improper prep of the floor prior to application.  You get a better application if the floor is virgin new (no usage) and applied by the pros that the factory contracts with...Elite takes the trailers to the applicators of WERM and then brings them back to the factory.  I have two lovely old trailers in my yard, both steel.  One is a Cheif, they don't even make these dinosaurs anymore but it will get you where ya gotta go.  I call this one "Fancy" as she's nearly the perfect even color of rust and nothing to brag about but she still works.  The second is an amazing little two horse Jackson (Omega I think) and I've killed more trucks than most people will ever own dragging "Little Red" for coming on 30 years now.  I keep taking it back to the factory and getting it overhauled every so often.  I hauled my high point horse in "Little Red" as a youth and I think he loved the trailer as much as I did.  One of my favorite parts about steel trailers is that you can have them repaired at ANY welding shop without having to pray they actually know how to correctly weld aluminum.  You can fabricate your own repairs and then touch-up the paint without having to sell your first born.  Don't get me wrong I love my Elite (aluminum) but still can't break away from those two steel trailers.  Have fun and get EXACTLY what you want, it's not fun wishing you had done something while the new trailer is in your rearview mirror.

Edited by huntseat 2017-02-03 12:07 PM
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-02-03 12:59 PM (#169252 - in reply to #169241)

Extreme Veteran

What issues with Trail-et???  We were Trail-et dealers for many, mnay years, and I can't imagine that an "issue" would have by passed us.  Please enlighten. 
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2017-02-03 2:39 PM (#169253 - in reply to #169199)

Veteran

I agree with the comment regarding WERM floors from the factory.  It is all in the prep and there is less "contamination" when it is new material from the factory compared to an existing used trailer put in after the fact.

I have a 2009 4Star with WERM Floor and love it. 

Previously I had a Sundowner that had a problem with the flooring.  When power washing the floor you could see it ripple and lift up in an area.  I peeled up the floor in less than 5min. with little adhesion anywhere.  Urine got under the flooring and had damaged the aluminum floor and it had to be replaced.

Sorry, I can't comment on the Logan but I would go WERM if i had a choice.

I believe the "spray in flooring" is their Suncoat product and they sprayed the frame with a different product.  The product sprayed on the frame would trap in moisture and cause issues too.  To the best of my limited knowledge it was two differenet products causing the same issues.

jmey1820
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2017-02-03 6:14 PM (#169258 - in reply to #169199)

Regular

My mom and I have had multiple trail-ets for many, many years and never had a problem with the frames.  Taken care of the held up beatifully.  Mom just sold her 1999 gooseneck last spring and the frame looked brand new.  She just replaced her last trail-et with a hawk and its basically the same trailer, she loves her steel frames.  I on the other hand traded in a lovely trail-et for a sundowner, which a few years later fell apart.  We have also had a steel frame merhow in the past and that was a great trailer as well.  So long as it is done correctly the steel frames with aluminum skins are fine.  I would have no qualms in buying one again, so long as it wasn't a sundowner...they lost my trust.
kvanderv
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2017-02-07 1:24 PM (#169301 - in reply to #169250)

Thank you huntseat!! I just today, confirmed my order for a new Logan trailer!!

kvanderv
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2017-02-07 1:25 PM (#169302 - in reply to #169258)

Kay - I have no direct experience with the Trail-et or the issues, I have only heard that they had some issues with the steal frame/aluminum skin and corrosion and are now the makers of Hawk...but again this is only what I have been told. I have never owned one but did always like the ones I saw.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)