'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
The infamous corroded floor

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-02-23 4:54 PM
3 replies, 4253 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jeterspatch
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2017-02-16 4:01 PM (#169358)
Subject: The infamous corroded floor

New User

My floor is beyond repair and does need to be replaced.  It is a sheet aluminum floor that was corroded when I bought the trailer 7 years ago.  I read this forum and acid washed, filed, and ground a lot then coated with duplicolor.  Some holes were quarter size to slightly bigger.  I knew with this much corrosion it would have to be addressed further down the road.  Now is the time.  Can I cut the welds and replace the floor with treated boards and mats?  I really wanted rumber floor, but the price is hard to swallow with a 25 year old trailer.  Advice please.  Thanks! 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2017-02-18 1:06 AM (#169367 - in reply to #169358)
Subject: RE: The infamous corroded floor

Veteran

Since you have sheet aluminum floor, I "assume" that you have separate floor joists. Your options are going to depend on the type of floor joists in your trailer and on their condition. If the joists are are also significantly corroded, then you will be looking at more extensive repairs (or junking the trailer). Your best bet will be to find an aluminum welding shop that is experienced in aluminum trailer repairs. I was dealing with a corroded floor on a trailer and had talked to a local aluminum trailer manufacturer who had indicated that sheeting over the existing floor was a possible option. But that would assume that the floor joists are in good condition. I suggest that you seek an aluminum welder / fabricator's opinion.
jeterspatch
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2017-02-20 6:38 AM (#169376 - in reply to #169358)

New User

Thank you.  It does have floor joists that are 12" apart.  It seems very well supported and the joists do appear to be good and don't look to be corroded.  But may not know 100 percent until the old floor comes out. 
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-02-23 4:54 PM (#169391 - in reply to #169358)

Expert

For the cost of having the aluminum sheeting installed by a pro I bet you are in the same $$$ as putting in rumber yourself.  Get some real quotes but I agree you could possibly place another sheet over the existing floor but have a pro do it that knows about the details of aluminum fabrication. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)