'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck recommendations, for larger LQ trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2017-03-02 4:48 PM
10 replies, 8511 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

nbr
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2017-02-26 11:15 AM (#169405)
Subject: Truck recommendations, for larger LQ trailer

Hello,
I have a 4H trailer with 14' LQ GVWR is 16,500
Have been towing with my
2000 Ford 7.3 I love the truck she has been good to me.
However it is time to consider a replacment. I am having little issues everytime I get in to go, and want a truck that will START, STOP and RUN safely for me everytime I get in.
Not fun being a single lady stranded on the side of the road with horses in the trailer.
I can't afford to buy brand new would be looking at something most likely  in the 2009-2014 model year range.
Know it needs to be 4x4, crew cab, long bed
Would love to hear feed back on what others have been towing their larger trailers with and their likes and dislikes about their trucks.
Ford, Chevy,GMC, Dodge
which ones are holding up the best or what propblems have you been having with your truck?
Thank you
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2017-02-26 1:30 PM (#169406 - in reply to #169405)
Subject: RE: Truck recommendations, for larger LQ trailer

Expert

nbr - 2017-02-26 2:15 PM  Hello,

I have a 4H trailer with 14' LQ GVWR is 16,500

Have been towing with my
2000 Ford 7.3 I love the truck she has been good to me.

However it is time to consider a replacment. I am having little issues everytime I get in to go, and want a truck that will START, STOP and RUN safely for me everytime I get in.

Not fun being a single lady stranded on the side of the road with horses in the trailer.

I can't afford to buy brand new would be looking at something most likely  in the 2009-2014 model year range.

Know it needs to be 4x4, crew cab, long bed

Would love to hear feed back on what others have been towing their larger trailers with and their likes and dislikes about their trucks.

Ford, Chevy,GMC, Dodge

which ones are holding up the best or what propblems have you been having with your truck?

Thank you

You realize that those two statements are almost contradictory...

As an example...Looking at a 2008 F350 SRW 4x4, the "max towing" number listed is 14,400, and increases to 14,900 on a 4x2.  The trailer you listed is out of range of those trucks.

If you are shopping for a used one truck, you need to make yourself an expert in truck configurations, cause most sales people won't have the knowledge at that level of detail.

You also need to get a REAL PIN WEIGHT of your current rig...so you should find a CAT SCALE and get real numbers for your current configuration

nbr
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2017-02-26 4:48 PM (#169409 - in reply to #169405)

YES this is why I am posting on a forum asking others what they are using for towing.
What the like and dislike on their trucks.
Trust me I will be doing lots of research on whatever truck I buy.  I don't trust a salesperson to know what I am wanting, they are going to say what they can to try to make the sale.
I am wanting to hear from people who are going down the road towing trailers with thier truck.  What do you do you like it, what do you like about it? What do you not like about it?
Ford 7.3 has been a great truck, it is just older and starting to have its issues. I was aware when I upgraded to a heavier trailer that I would be wanting to get a truck with more towing capacity than my currenty one has before heading across the US.

Cutter1999
Reg. Jan 2017
Posted 2017-02-26 5:55 PM (#169410 - in reply to #169405)

Veteran

I moved up from a 2001 SRW F-350 7.3 liter PowerStroke to a 2016 RAM 3500 6.7 liter Cummins cab and chassis dually with an aluminum flatbed. Both trucks were/ are crew cabs with 4 wheel drive. I have a 2003 Featherlite 3 horse LQ trailer that is 8' wide with a 13' short wall. With my trailer loaded with everything except for the horses and tanks empty, my trailer weighs about 11,700 lbs.

I was definitely undertrucked pulling this trailer with my Ford, to which I had also added Timbrens. I could stop fine and did okay on the flats, but I had to hit long hills running hard, or risk petering out depending on how long the hill was.

The RAM has both a tow/haul mode and exhaust brake, which I absolutely love. I have more than enough power to go and the truck stops the trailer beautifully. Fuel mileage is about the same between both trucks, but the RAM definitely has more power.

I noticed a huge difference when I took my first "long" trip with the truck and trailer, about a six hour drive each way. I found that I was not as tense and "beat up" feeling when I got to my destination and again when I got home.

I bought a more stripped down model- RAM has a "Tradesman" package that has power windows, door locks, cruise, tilt, power mirrors, air, Bluetooth, satellite radio, chrome trim outside, but with vinyl seat and flooring. I wanted the vinyl because I was sick of trying to clean dog and horse hair out of the seats and carpet in my last truck. I spent less than $55K on this truck, including taxes and the aluminum flatbed.

I have no regrets about upgrading and would easily do it again.

Edited by Cutter1999 2017-02-26 6:04 PM
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2017-02-27 12:56 AM (#169412 - in reply to #169405)

Veteran

nbr,

We tow with a 2011 Ford F350 dually with the 6.7 L diesel.
Pros:
- This engine has 400 hp and 800 ft-lbs of torque and has plenty of power to tow our trailer which often includes mountain and foothills roads.
- We love our truck from a comfort and features stand point – it has the King Ranch package.
- We bought the truck used at 3 years old with low mileage for about 55% of new price
- Truck has been very reliable with no major repairs required – had to redo the brakes last year but that is a maintenance item. Installed severe duty brake pads which are fit for purpose.
Cons: Some of the newer trucks have factory exhaust brakes, which would be a nice feature, but would also come at a higher, new truck price!

We pull a 3H x 8 ft wide x 13 ft LQ trailer that weighs 11,750 lbs empty and 16,700 lbs with two horses, tack, panels, water, firewood, hay and everything else we take horse camping. The GVWR of the trailer is 18,500 lbs, but this is a rating only … you need to take your loaded truck and trailer over a scale to determine the actual weight of all truck and trailer axles and then do a load calculation to determine if your truck and trailer are adequately rated for your loads.

The pin weight of our loaded trailer is 4400 lbs, this works out to be 26% of the trailer weight. As you may know, the pin weight (gooseneck hitch weight) gets transferred to your tow vehicle and the truck GVWR often becomes the limiting factor when towing a LQ horse trailer.

Given the ratings shown below, we are at our GVWR load capacity limit with this truck / trailer combination.

When choosing a tow vehicle, you need to look at all the limiting factors (not just the towing capacity). With our 16,700 lb trailer, our load ratings are as follows (based on actual scaled weights and our truck / trailer / tire ratings):
1) Truck GVWR – 100%
2) Truck Front Axle Capacity – 85%
3) Truck Front Tire Capacity – 82% at 80 psi inflation pressure
4) Truck Rear Axle Capacity – 91%
5) Truck Rear Tire Capacity – 72% at 80 psi inflation pressure
6) Truck GCVW – 85%
7) Truck Trailer Towing Rating – 78%
8) Trailer GVWR – 90%
9) Trailer Axle Capacity – 88% (assumes equal axle loading)
10) Trailer Tire Rating – 82% at 110 psi inflation pressure (assumes equal tire loading)

As you can see from the above, although we are only at 78% of our Truck Trailer Towing Rating, we are at 100% of our Truck GVWR. The Truck Trailer Towing Rating can be a very misleading number when towing a LQ horse trailer due to the heavy pin weight. In this case, Truck GVWR often becomes your limiting factor.

Whatever truck you choose, you should ensure that for safety (and legal reasons), that you are within ALL of the capacity ratings (not just the Trailer Towing Rating). Just like a chain, a truck is only as strong as it’s weakest link!

I believe that all of the 1 ton diesel trucks made from 2011 onwards (whether Ford, Dodge, GMC or Chev) will have the engine capacity to easily pull your trailer. Knowing your loaded trailer weight, you can also check to ensure your tow vehicle is within its capacity ratings.

Here are some links to a few previous discussions that may help you to size a truck for your trailer:
http://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20602
http://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20367
http://horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18294

Regards, 3CW
nbr
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2017-02-27 10:49 AM (#169416 - in reply to #169405)

Thank you Cutter1999 and ThreeCW
I appriciate your replys

I am leaning towards  the  F450  but want to check out all of my options.  I know buying used it is most likely going to come down to finding the right truck  equip how I would like it for the right price.
Thanks again
Denise

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2017-02-28 9:46 AM (#169424 - in reply to #169405)

Expert

I would start at the 450 rating and not the 350/3500 trucks as they will not cut it over time.  More than a few trips a year and you'll burn through the truck faster than you should.  Better to put your money in a 450 or 550 and have it last.

Nice used trucks can be found at Dixie horse and mule website and locally if you have a trusted dealership.  Knowing that you have a dealer you can trust to fix the truck when in need is a key factor, they also need really well trained diesel mechanics.  I have a 2015 F350 and love this truck, it had big shoes to fill seeing as my last truck was a 7.3L.  The current truck has not disappointed and I know it will last, just like my last one did. I have dealerships around here that have good techs and I know that where I travel I've got good coverage if anything should happen.

I have started buying from Seth Watley Ford as they have a very deep knowledge base and they sell more of these trucks than anyone I've ever seen so their diesel mechanics are top notch and they know that if something happens they will need to supply me with a truck to keep working.  I don't know where you are located but if you have a really high volume truck dealer around they will have used trucks come in often and can sort you out a nice gentlly used one if you tell them what you want.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2017-02-28 11:55 AM (#169431 - in reply to #169416)

Expert

nbr - 2017-02-27 10:49 AM Thank you Cutter1999 and ThreeCW

I appriciate your replys

I am leaning towards  the  F450  but want to check out all of my options.  I know buying used it is most likely going to come down to finding the right truck  equip how I would like it for the right price.

Thanks again

Denise

You might want to run that 450 info by your ins. Co.   

short4870
Reg. Feb 2017
Posted 2017-02-28 1:31 PM (#169432 - in reply to #169405)

New User

I work on vehicles for a living. Note I am a Ford man but have driven and worked on everything. If you settle on a Ford buy only 7.3 or 6.7 that would be years 2000-2003 for a 7.3 and 2011- 2017 for a 6.7 the later model the better. Do not buy a 6.0 or a 6.4.
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2017-02-28 5:25 PM (#169433 - in reply to #169405)

Veteran

Also keep in mind that the “Pickup” version of the F-350 and F-450 has the more powerful 6.7L diesel engine – for comparison purposes, the 2017 version has 440 hp and 925 ft-lbs of torque.

The “Chassis Cab” version of the F-350, F-450 and F-550 also has a 6.7L diesel engine but it is de-tuned for commercial hauling (with a smaller turbo I believe) with the 2017 version having 330 hp and 750 ft-lbs of torque.

Earlier models of the 6.7L diesel engine in the “Pickup” and “Chassis Cab” version have less power than the 2017 models – for example, our 2011 F-350 Pickup 6.7L specs are 400 hp x 800 ft-lbs (which is plenty of power for us pulling our heavy LQ trailer).

I seem to recall when we were shopping for our truck, that some of the de-rated “Chassis Cab” models had about the same power as the 2006 Ford F-350 6.0L than we were upgrading from.

So if you are considering a “Chassis Cab” model, ensure that you understand the power ratings of engine.

Before buying a truck, see if you can perform a “test pull” with your trailer (loaded if possible) to ensure you are happy with the performance (and stopping). New or used, it is a lot of money to spend and you want to ensure that you get it right.

On a final note, check the specification on the pickup models of the F-350 and F-450. For 2017, the F-350 is rated at a GVWR of 13,800 to 14,000 lbs. The 2017 F-450 is also rated at 14,000 lbs GVWR. When you are pulling a LQ horse trailer, you are typically GVWR limited due to the heavy pin weight (as per my earlier post) … so it does not matter what the towing rating comparison is between these two models, your limit becomes the GVWR. I do understand that the F-450 has some desirable features (bigger brakes, tighter turning and probably more …that I don’t know about) but in a capacity comparison, there is very little difference (for those of us that want to stay legal / safe … and be within our rated capacity).

The joys of buying a new (new to you) tow unit!

Regards, 3CW
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2017-03-02 4:48 PM (#169442 - in reply to #169405)

Veteran

I am going to throw it out there, dont over look an HDT truck for towing a horse trailer.  I went to one and it is the best decision I have ever made.  Skip the medium duty trucks and go right a class 8.  if it is registered as a motorhome it will be cheaper to purchase cheaper to insure, and they tow much better than a pickup plus you dont need a cdl to drive one.  I had an f350 dually that would barely pull my 5 horse trailer, let alone stop it. I moved up to a medium duty that was ok, but really did not have that much more power and the brakes where not much better.  Now I have a Class 8 truck with a 450 hp C12, and I can pull a 35K trailer over vail pass and keep it at 55 the entire time.  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)