'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Single axle trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-09-08 10:17 AM
15 replies, 23440 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-09-05 9:15 PM (#124445)
Subject: Single axle trailer

Regular

We are going back to a bumper pull and kind of, sort of, looking at two horse side by sides.  Have found a 2008 CM totally enclosed with the top doors, good plexiglass in the sides, 6'8" tall 6' wide and in really nice condition, except...it is a single axle.  I am terrified of single axle trailers, talked to a friend that hauls trailers for a living, and he said he doesn't mind pulling them.  What do you folks think about the single axle?  Are they more dangerous or not?  This trailer is on the dealer lot for $2300 which my friend said was cheap for this trailer, and I forgot the model now.  Thanks in advance
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-09-06 5:48 AM (#124451 - in reply to #124445)
Subject: RE: Single axle trailer

Expert

Half as many flat tires!!.... Most of these single axle bumper pulls will have 10 ply 16" tires good for about 6100# on that one axle verses 7000# total on the tandem 3500# axle setup..... Go for it.

trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-09-06 5:35 PM (#124466 - in reply to #124445)

Extreme Veteran

If you have a blow out, how do you think that will go for you??? It seems that when we have a tire go, it BLOWS. Usually from picking up a nail or road debris. Even a brand new tire can have something happen that causes it to go. Tandem axels give that trailer stability, and I sure a smoother ride to the shoulder or safe place to change a blow out when it happens. Can not imagine what it would be like with the horse if you blew the only tire on one side of the trailer at freeway speed.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-09-06 7:20 PM (#124467 - in reply to #124445)

Expert

If you're "terrified" of it, why would what we think matter?  You're the one who'll be pulling it, if you're not comfortable don't do it. 

To answer your question;  Wouldn't bother me, but I would be considered a 'pro'.

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-09-06 7:44 PM (#124470 - in reply to #124445)

Regular

I could change my mind for the "being terrified of them" simply because I am of the mindset of the 2nd poster, what happens when one blows out?  Then again, as first poster said, tires are bigger, heavier axles.  What I want to know is, from you "experts" or "pros" what have you found to be pros and cons.    Getting a side by side bp, makes me feel I am going back in time, but those were the good ole days, anyway.  And yes, it does matter what you all have to say, so I can learn as I get quite a lot of information on this forum.  I am a single mother with a teen age daughter and want to be safe.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-06 9:38 PM (#124474 - in reply to #124445)

Expert

I've pulled single axle trailers of many types, many years and many miles.

No way would I consider carrying two horses on one axle. The blow out situation is relevant, but more important to me would be the braking capabilities and the stability of the trailer. I would want four brakes stopping a ton or more of horses, and I would want the stability of four tires on rough roads, through turns and long hauls on the interstates.

In my state, single axle trailers are only rated up to 2995#. Above that, brakes and dual axles are mandatory. That's one regulation with which I have no problem.

Have you wondered why the resale value of the trailer is so low? A few months ago I looked at a single axle Exiss that was comparably priced to this one. It was in excellent shape, and I was trying to determine the viability of installing a second axle and brakes. I don't know if it was finally sold.

I am not a pro

Edited by gard 2010-09-06 9:41 PM
lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-09-07 6:06 AM (#124478 - in reply to #124445)

Regular

Thank you Gard, this puts it in prospective.  What I was looking for.  I went back and looked at it yesterday, after going riding with a friend and talking to some others that were out riding.  Going to continue looking for the tandem axle,  not be in a hurry.  Thanks for allyour opionions.  Lou
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-09-07 8:23 AM (#124480 - in reply to #124445)

I have owned three single axle horse trailers. Two bumper pulls and one gooseneck. Still own a one horse single axle that was my first trailer. I've pulled a single axle two horse many, many miles. It had a 7,000# axle with 16" rubber versus the two 2500-3500# axles with 15" rubber on it. It pulled like a dream. I've also had a tandem axle two horse. The single axle was the best pulling two horse I have ever owned. Blown tire on either one can be a scary proposition, but I wasn't ever scared of it on either one. Keep good tires on them and go.
trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-09-07 9:06 AM (#124482 - in reply to #124445)

Extreme Veteran

good tires, and new tires can have a blow out.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-09-07 9:29 AM (#124486 - in reply to #124482)

Originally written by trot-on on 2010-09-07 9:06 AM

good tires, and new tires can have a blow out.
Agreed. But good tires or new tires with proper inflation minimizes the chance of that happening. Having had blow outs on single, tandem, and triple axle trailers, I will repeat what I said before. Having a blowout on any of them can be a scary proposition. The one that scared me the most was losing two tires on the same side of a tandem axle trailer. I have had that happen twice in 40 years. Once on a used stock trailer that I had just bought and was trying to get it home, and once from road debris. I'll take a blow out on a small single axle trailer over that any time.

Edited by Tresvolte 2010-09-07 9:30 AM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-09-07 9:44 PM (#124543 - in reply to #124470)

Expert

Originally written by lou on 2010-09-06 7:44 PM

I could change my mind for the "being terrified of them" simply because I am of the mindset of the 2nd poster, what happens when one blows out?  Then again, as first poster said, tires are bigger, heavier axles.  What I want to know is, from you "experts" or "pros" what have you found to be pros and cons.    Getting a side by side bp, makes me feel I am going back in time, but those were the good ole days, anyway.  And yes, it does matter what you all have to say, so I can learn as I get quite a lot of information on this forum.  I am a single mother with a teen age daughter and want to be safe.

Fair enough.  I've found single axle trailers to pull very well.  They tend to ride smoother as there is only one axle hitting the bump.  They are light and closer to the ground compared to a tandem.  I also think they hug the road better, corner more freely and smoothly, seems the tires on a tandem will fight each other as they twist in a turn/corner.  The brakes are not an issue as it is generally a 6K or 7K axle, which has bigger brakes than those found on a 3.5K axle. 

As for the blow out concern trot-on keeps pushing; unlike trot-on some of us don't have to wonder "how do you think that will go for you?" or "Can not imagine what it would be like" as we have BTDT and are still here to talk about it. 

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-09-08 8:03 AM (#124555 - in reply to #124445)

Extreme Veteran

Single axle trailers also tend to sway much more than a tandem. Imagine driving down the freeway and having a tractor trailer blow your doors off..thats gonna send any "enclosed" BP trailer into a sway, but the tandem recovers much more easily and is much less violent. The last single axle trailer I pulled was a 12' enclosed trailer and after the aforementioned scenario happened to me, I won't pull it. It's just not safe on something that has that much area for wind to "take it and run".

IIRC, there's someone on here that pulls a single axle GN which would alleviate some of the sway problem. There's sway bars, too.

IMO, no way on a single axle trailer of any kind, much less a horse trailer carrying your animals that you love, care, and pay for. Also keeping you and your family safe is worth the extra bucks of a tandem.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-08 8:44 AM (#124558 - in reply to #124543)

Expert

When a single axle wheel hits a pot hole the trailer is roughly jolted. The second axle of a tandom will temporarly support the load, until the first wheel emerges and before the second in turn is effected. This will smooth the ride on uneven surfaces. 

With the same sized wheels, a torsion axle suspension will have the same ride height, regardless if one or two axles are installed.

Four tires have more sidewall support and less sidewall deflection, than two in the lateral weight transfer during cornering. Four tires have twice the contact area for road holding during cornering. The tandem axles will offer a much more solid base, for the high center of gravity encountered while hauling a ton of horses.

Ultimately, braking is determined by the friction of the tires on the road's surface. Four tires offer double the contact patch area for braking adhesion than two. The surface area of four braking systems is much larger than two, offering less chance of overheating and brake fade during long descents. Each one has to work less hard to stop the load.

The single axle trailers are generally lighter built than a twin axle varient. Their smaller frames and single axles weigh less than a more robust structure designed for twin axles.

The choice of which trailer to use, is determined by how much consideration you have for the welfare of the animals you are carrying, and the safety of the rig's occupants you are driving.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-09-08 9:27 AM (#124563 - in reply to #124558)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2010-09-08 8:44 AM

When a single axle wheel hits a pot hole the trailer is roughly jolted. The second axle of a tandom will temporarly support the load, until the first wheel emerges and before the second in turn is effected. This will smooth the ride on uneven surfaces. 

Just an opinion either way.

With the same sized wheels, a torsion axle suspension will have the same ride height, regardless if one or two axles are installed.

Most all single axle horse trailers have the axle above the deck, lowering the trailer by several inches.

Four tires have more sidewall support and less sidewall deflection, than two in the lateral weight transfer during cornering. Four tires have twice the contact area for road holding during cornering. The tandem axles will offer a much more solid base, for the high center of gravity encountered while hauling a ton of horses. 

Comparing four 205/15 Lr C tires to the two 235/16 Lr E is silly.  It takes two of the smaller tires to make roughly the same rating as the larger tire because the larger tire HAS more "sidewall support and less sidewall deflection".

Ultimately, braking is determined by the friction of the tires on the road's surface. Four tires offer double the contact patch area for braking adhesion than two. The surface area of four braking systems is much larger than two, offering less chance of overheating and brake fade during long descents. Each one has to work less hard to stop the load.

Depends on numerous factors, which I don't intend to get in depth on here.  The larger higher capacity tires won't get as hot as quickly under braking load and won't skid as soon as the smaller lighter rated tires.  The axle is rated to stop its load, period.  And I don't use my brakes very much on a long descent?  Overheating and fade are not problems an experienced driver should have.

The single axle trailers are generally lighter built than a twin axle varient. Their smaller frames and single axles weigh less than a more robust structure designed for twin axles.

True.

The choice of which trailer to use, is determined by how much consideration you have for the welfare of the animals you are carrying, and the safety of the rig's occupants you are driving.

Seems a bit melodramatic.

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-09-08 9:57 AM (#124565 - in reply to #124445)

guess that clears everything up!!! In the long run, if this is a trailer you can see yourself keeping forever, go for it. But if you are planning to someday sell this trailer you may not sell it as easily as a tandem axle. As you can see there are a lot of opinions out there about single axle trailers and most folks would probably be looking for a tandem axle. Good luck with your decision!
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-09-08 10:17 AM (#124567 - in reply to #124445)

Say what you want, but a single axle trailer is no less safe than the person pulling it. It all comes down to maintenance, loading, and driving.

As far as comparing to a single axle cargo trailer, you can't. Not even close. Axle placements are different and load placement can be radically different.

As far as tires and axles, let's look at it this way first... two 3500# axles versus one 7000# axle. On most bumper pulls, 4 passenger car tires or 15" chinese may-pops. Or two 16" LT tires. Toss up as far as I am concerned. Stiffer sidewall on the 16" tires designed to carry a load.

Here is the other thing to take into consideration...we have all agreed on numerous threads that a 21-22' 4 horse with two 7000# axles and 4 16" E rated LT tires (3042 per tire) is ample undercarriage on a four horse. We are talking about less than half the trailer and half the horses. Somebody explain to me what I am missing here...

As far as lighter frame, not necessarily on a steel trailer. And once again, 7000# axle rating is 7000#. That means the trailer is built to at least withstand the same.

From a use standpoint, in the late 80's I pulled a single axle two horse bumper pull behind a 2500 Chevy with a cabover camper and racked up a total of 82,000 miles. Never had an issue and absolutely loved the way the trailer pulled. Years later I bought a tandem axle trailer that was the same size and actually got more sway out of it than the single axle. I own a one horse single axle that my father built before I was born that I still use 10-12 times a year.

To the original poster... It's pretty simple. This is your purchase and has to make only you happy. If you aren't comfortable with it, don't buy it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)