'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
rope v.s. leather halter?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-11 12:37 PM
20 replies, 11672 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-05-08 10:21 PM (#133955)
Subject: rope v.s. leather halter?

Regular

I`d love to hear what people use when trailering their horses. 

I normally use natural horsemanship-type thin rope halters for everyday, yet while trailering I`d feel more comfortable if the horses were wearing regular leather halters.

For some reason I have this nightmare type image in my head of if there were an accident that the thin rope halter might do more damage than the conventional wide strapped leather halter which would be more likely to break under extreme pressure, v.s. dig in and do more damage.

I haven`t done alot of trailering in the past and would love to learn from other`s experiences.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2011-05-09 5:42 AM (#133966 - in reply to #133955)
Subject: RE: rope v.s. leather halter?

Extreme Veteran

I use a regular strap nylon halter when hauling. I don't like breakaways because it seems like once a horse learns they can break free, they seem to do it more often. I was always told that rope halters aren't meant to be used for tying in a trailer but can't remember why. I use a quick release trailer tie in the trailer hooked to the left of the horse's head so I can get to it (in a slant load) and tie the lead rope around their neck with one end connected to the bottom ring on the halter underneath the horse's jaw. I hook the quick release end to the trailer not the horse. I do keep a large knife on me for cutting a horse loose if needed. Have only ever need to use it once, and that was for someone else's horse!
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-05-09 5:45 AM (#133967 - in reply to #133955)

Elite Veteran

I trailer using regular halters. I use rope on trail.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2011-05-09 6:32 AM (#133968 - in reply to #133955)

Expert

We use nylon strap halters, tie with rope lead line using a quick release knot in case of an emergency.

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2011-05-09 6:38 AM (#133969 - in reply to #133955)

Veteran

I agree with your assessment of the rope halter. I use a leather halter when trailering. The nylon halters will not break. I put one of those nylon halters on my mare with the "break away" crown piece. She came in from the pasture with the "break away" leather crown piece criss crossed across her face so tight I had to cut it off! How she ever managed that, I do not know! I use a pressure release tie in the trailer with a 8ft. cotton lead, and leather halter.

whinneyman
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2011-05-09 6:43 AM (#133970 - in reply to #133955)

Experience, meaning a bad one, makes be believe a rope halter is a useful training aid but a leather one is used for all other times. A halter that will not break away is a serious injury just waiting to happen.
Whinneyman
Javanewt
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-05-09 8:02 AM (#133971 - in reply to #133955)

I would never tie in a rope halter. Unfortunately, I've seen the effects of someone who did -- and they were bringing me my new rescue horse. They forgot to untie her when they opened the trailer, she tried to back out and hit the end of the line, then fought it:( She had cuts and rope burn on her head, her face, etc., and they could barely get her free. It was awful.

I will not tie in a halter that doesn't break. Leather is all I use.

Edited by Javanewt 2011-05-09 8:05 AM
tico
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-05-09 8:27 AM (#133973 - in reply to #133955)

I have a 3 horse straight load trailer and I don't tie the horses at all. Have driven all across this country that way and never had a problem.
kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2011-05-09 8:30 AM (#133974 - in reply to #133971)

I don't tie my horse in the trailer.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-05-09 8:41 AM (#133977 - in reply to #133955)

Expert

I open the door and send my horses in and usually just throw the lead over their backs or just slip the lead thru the ring, But I never tie in the trailer.  All I want is for the lead rope to be up off the floor so it's doesn't get pee'd on. My horses wait for me to lead them off the trailer.

So all I use are the rope halters, They stay on under the headstall while I ride, the rope is lighter and less interference with the headstall.  If I stop anywhere along the ride, I use the halter to tie to a tree.

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2011-05-09 8:49 AM (#133979 - in reply to #133977)

Painted - this is exactly how I operate!
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-05-09 9:06 AM (#133980 - in reply to #133955)

Elite Veteran

I've thought about not tying but I have wondered about them dropping their heads under the divider. They can't get totally under but they could find themselves hitting their head when bringing it back up. They probably wouldn't get stuck and if they have a brain cell they won't do it again. I'm just a liitle bit of a worry wart. I do wonder on longer hauls how much more comfotable they would be not tied and finding their comfy "spot." We use break away 3 foot trailer ties so they can drop their noses to a degree in front of the mangers if they want. They all load, haul, and unload beautifully.

Edited by Gone 2011-05-09 9:09 AM
Javanewt
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-05-09 11:27 AM (#133987 - in reply to #133955)

If I have one horse, I take out the divider (2-horse slant) and let them ride free. If I have two horses, I put in the divider and tie them. They have tried to turn around untied, which would be a disaster!

I won't tie to anything with a rope halter or nylon halter. I've seen the damage it can cause. I've also seen my horse completely freaked out tied to the trailer, and there was nothing to stop it. I couldn't get in there to get the tie undone in time. I'm thrilled the halter broke. Didn't make him start pulling back. He still ties like a dream -- and I like knowing he won't be trapped (nylon/rope) or have his skin shredded by a rope halter if something happens. (A rope halter can do lots of damage in seconds.) You just never know what's going to happen (loose horse, dog, wasp sting, etc.). I'd rather be safe than sorry.

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-05-09 11:47 AM (#133988 - in reply to #133955)

Extreme Veteran

We typically use Nylon strap style halters when trailering. We reserve rope halters for trail riding.

I've never had a leather halter break, but I've had a couple nylon ones break.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2011-05-09 11:16 PM (#134011 - in reply to #133955)

Elite Veteran

Yes, the rope halter could do a lot of damage to the horses head in an emergency situation. I use the rope halters out on trail under my headstalls and when doing ground work. In the trailer, either leather strap or nylon strap halters with a quick release attachment on the end of the trailer tie. Which by the way, the quick release part should be connected to the trailer not the horses halter. In an emergency, you want to stay clear of the horse. Rope halters are not to be used in cross-ties either. The horse can and will pull right out of the rope halter. Same thing goes for quick release  cross-ties, the quick release part should be on the wall, not attached to the horses halter cheeks.
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-05-10 8:50 AM (#134018 - in reply to #133955)

Regular

I use those "tie blockers" in my trailer.  And no I don't sell them.  It keeps the rope off the ground, or horses back, and still lets them pull rope out if needed.  I had bought an older gelding with a suck back problem.  Everytime you would open the back door, or divider, of a trailer he would bolt back and hit the end of the rope and pull hard.  After using the blockers and just letting him back off the trailer as fast as he wanted a couple times, it was all over.  Once he realized he never hit the end of the rope and had the pressure behind his head, he would just stand up there and wait for me to back him out.  I'm not saying the blockers are the end all to all suck back problems.  But they do give the illusion that the horse is tied, and if they have to come out in a hurry, or fall, they can have as much or all of the rope if needed.  Of coarse my main work with the gelding was getting his feet to move forward when he felt the pressure of the halter behind his ears....you can teach an old horse new tricks.....but that's for a different forum.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-05-10 9:38 AM (#134020 - in reply to #133955)

Expert

Frankly I have never even considered this question. In a real emergency there is no way to predict what kind of halter would be best. There is no way to predict what kind of accident,what the situation would be..etc..too many variables. I'll worry about other stuff....
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-05-10 2:32 PM (#134026 - in reply to #133955)

Regular

given that the nylon rope halters work as those knots push into the sensitive nerves down the horses nose, I'm hesitant to tie with them. if the horse NEEDED to move its head, it would get a negative reinforcement from the halter. if something went badly wrong, I want to know that my horse can pull free and do what he needs to do.

I do tie my guy, but mostly to keep him from getting into mischeif inside the trailer. He's got plenty of line to drop his head, and room to brace his legs but not so much line where he can get his leg over it.

He wears his regular nylon strap halter in the trailer, with the quick release/break away trailer ties. I remove his lead rope so theres no way he can step on it or get it tangled up.

so far so good! :)

Wild Bill
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2011-05-10 6:50 PM (#134037 - in reply to #133955)

Regular

The horse ties inside and outside my horse trailer are made of cast aluminum that will safely breakaway if a horse rears or stumbles from what my owners manual says.
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2011-05-11 11:40 AM (#134061 - in reply to #133955)

Extreme Veteran

Agree to the the previous post that I chose to worry about other things...but will add one bit of advice that works for us.

Instead of spending $$ (ya, call me cheap) on the tie blockers, if you have the standard bolt on cast aluminum tie hooks (most of the trailers use them now), I take the lead, put a loop in it, push it thru the tie hook and than put another loop in the halter lead and put that around the tie hook, thru the first loop. It looks just like a slip knot.

That way if they just pull with their nose, they think they are tied up solid, but if they pull back, the knot pulls thru the tie hook and comes clean. Not much of a boy scout so hard to explain. Really works good with a 3/4" to 1" diameter lead rope.

paysonw
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2011-05-11 12:37 PM (#134063 - in reply to #134061)

Regular

Originally written by Spin Doctor on 2011-05-11 10:40 AM

Agree to the the previous post that I chose to worry about other things...but will add one bit of advice that works for us.

Instead of spending $$ (ya, call me cheap) on the tie blockers, if you have the standard bolt on cast aluminum tie hooks (most of the trailers use them now), I take the lead, put a loop in it, push it thru the tie hook and than put another loop in the halter lead and put that around the tie hook, thru the first loop. It looks just like a slip knot.

That way if they just pull with their nose, they think they are tied up solid, but if they pull back, the knot pulls thru the tie hook and comes clean. Not much of a boy scout so hard to explain. Really works good with a 3/4" to 1" diameter lead rope.

We generally don't tie in the trailer and have added rubber mats hanging off the dividers to keep the horses and their hay on their respective sides, I do like the sound of this knot and will try it out!  Thank you!  BTW it was explained very well!

Edited for spelling

Edited by paysonw 2011-05-11 12:40 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World