'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Another Horse Barn Question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-01-17 6:02 AM
10 replies, 5662 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

docgj
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2012-01-12 6:14 AM (#139986)
Subject: Another Horse Barn Question

Regular

We are planning on starting our new barn this spring. Working through qoutes from the various tradesman we will use on the project.

We are planning on using gravel and mats in the stalls. We are thinking of running draintile under the gravel then to the exterior of the building and covering it with about 12 inches of gravel(Interior).Raising the building 12 inches above the surrounding ground. Once it leaves the building...We are thinking of connecting the downspouts to the drain. Obviously we will drop that drain well below the tile in the barn to avoid possible backups. This site is fairly level and have problems when it rains with the run in we have now. Some water inside and very muddy around the shed.

Is the draintile under the stalls a good idea?

Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated.

docgj

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-01-12 8:58 AM (#139989 - in reply to #139986)
Subject: RE: Another Horse Barn Question

Expert

I wouldn't think they are needed. I have dirt floors with mats and there really isn't a drainage issue. I bed with chopped straw. Most of the urine will sit on the mats ( this is when I don't clean them regular and I slack off) I have never lifted the mats either. With a gravel base I would assume there would be sufficent drainage right there. Now getting some down spout extensions is a good idea to get that rainwater away from the barn ( there is a big difference from rainwater/snow melt flow and horse urine)
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-01-12 10:39 AM (#139991 - in reply to #139986)

Veteran

ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-01-12 10:41 AM (#139992 - in reply to #139986)

Veteran

I have already built a barn very close to what you are describing.  I have 2 stalls and we put a drain in one and not the other. There is definately a difference in the dryness of the stalls. We wish we had put a drain in both stalls.
docgj
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2012-01-13 5:13 AM (#140006 - in reply to #139986)

Regular

ghbb41,

Did you put in actual drain or just perforated pipe under the stall?

Any other comments from all of you out there? Comments are at 50/50.

docgj

AJH
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2012-01-13 12:30 PM (#140012 - in reply to #139986)

Just raising the floor above the surrounding area is enough. Most water issues come from water that flows back towards a building instead of away from. If your barn is in the low part of the valley and you can't get the water to flow away from the outside, then yes the drain tile under the rock would help. Guess I am 50/50

Didn't put any in my stalls, but did do a perimeter drain tile to help with water outside the building

ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-01-13 12:49 PM (#140013 - in reply to #139986)

Veteran

I have a friend that just dug a hole about three feet deep and filled it with gravel, then more gravel under the rubber mats, says it worked great. We do have the area you describe as the water is running toward the barn instead of away.(actually runs to it from one direction) we live in very hilly terrain.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-01-13 12:53 PM (#140014 - in reply to #139986)

Elite Veteran

We built a barn a several years ago. Here is what we did and also learned for future. More than what you asked for but thought I'd share a few extra ideas. :)

I'd look into having 10 foot lean-to's on both the long (length) sides. This helps shade the stalls in summer and keeps rain and snow from blowing in to the paddock doors which in turn keeps your stalls dry - provided you are going to add paddock doors. Also have one foot overhang on the short walls (width).

A one foot dirt pad was built up for the entire size of the barn and then 3 inches of one inch gravel added on top. This was for the concrete aisle and also served as a good base for the stalls.  Raising above grade is extremely necessary for rain water to drain away from the barn.

No back to the stall, we then added about two inches of "screenings" on top of the gravel. Used a 4 foot section of 2x4 board to level and a tamper to pack down, then 4x6 rubber stall mats were added. Only have had one mat curl in 7 stalls. No urine odor or drainage issues as shavings capture the moisture. And ground water cannot get under the mats due to the built up grade and protection from the lean-to. Even the stalls that are next to the short wall do not get wet.

Insulation under the metal roof is also important. Otherwise it will drip like rain inside when the temp is warmer inside than outside.

I would add a window in your tack room. I did not and I fight mold in the summer. I have a screen door that I am going to hang up to get better ventalation. I used those de-humidifier thingy's for closets and they do work!

I would also go ahead and add gutters even with the lean-tos. During heavy down pours my paddock runs get a niagra falls effect and really washes my screening for the paddock runs... just means more maintenance to keep the paddocks properly filled with screenings. I use the screenings so the horses do not create a mud pit.

Barn building design is fun, but be ready for sticker shock on materials. I have a friend looking into building a barn and materials have almost tripled from 2006 when we built our barn. I was shocked. 57

Here is the barn we built. Barn roof is red buried under the icky white stuff.

Edited by ponytammy 2012-01-13 12:56 PM
bigfoot
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2012-01-13 3:16 PM (#140016 - in reply to #139986)

Regular

Put the drain pipe in. It's easy now, and you'll never be sorry. Don't use the black perforated. Go on and get the white PVC with pretty big holes on the top side. Cover with landscape fabric, then cover over the pipe with slightly larger rock than the rest of the stall. Had water/urine problems for years in a stable. Got a chance to rebuild in the same spot, and did this. It fixed it. I would also ask builders about putting a short footer from post to post everywhere but the doors. Pour it over the buried pipe. All water problems will be solved. Good luck. Also keep in mind you can make a building bigger for very little cost per square foot. Many will attack this statement as false, but it is true.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-01-15 8:34 PM (#140053 - in reply to #139986)

Expert

DO NOT CONNECT THE DOWN SPAUTS TO THE DRAINS IN THE BARN I know a friend that did this and every time it rains the water backs up in to the barn what a mess so now he has his barn drain cap and can only use them if it is  not raining what a pain in the as++++
docgj
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2012-01-17 6:02 AM (#140089 - in reply to #139986)

Regular

Thanks for all you replies.

ponytammy,

Nice looking barn! We don't plan on having exterior doors on each stall. We do plan on sloping gravel/fines about 12 ft. away from the barn.

docgj

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)