'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
moldy tack

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-09-04 5:45 PM
19 replies, 11988 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-07-25 1:39 AM (#153542)
Subject: moldy tack

Expert

We built a barn about 2 yrs ago,and,the tack room is lined with galvanized tin on the walls and ceiling.It stays fairly cool in it,and I suppose,damp,now that I see with horror that I have quiet a bit of leather pieces that have mildew/mold on them.

Is there a foolproof way to clean this so that it will get rid of the mildew? Can some bleach be added to the water? I am not sure of the strength needed,however.Help will be appreciated!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2013-07-25 6:25 AM (#153543 - in reply to #153542)
Subject: RE: moldy tack

Regular

Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2013-07-25 6:39 AM (#153544 - in reply to #153542)

Regular

I had the same problem. I researched it on the internet and found that I needed to reduce the moisture in the room. The best solution seemed to be a dehumidifier . They are a little expensive but worse then that is that they are expensive to operate. I put a oscillating  pedestal fan in the room and let it run all the time. It has taken care of 99% of the mold.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2013-07-25 9:38 AM (#153552 - in reply to #153542)

Extreme Veteran

I had that happen in my last trailer in my horsetrailer tack. When I cleaned my saddle, I just used saddle soap, water and soft toothbrush if needed. I then put the saddles on a stand and left them in the sun to dry well for a day. After I felt they were really dry, I think a day or two later, I then applied what I use to oil my saddles. It worked fine for me.

I usually read the mail that comes in my electric bill that gives you tipes on ways to save, rebates etc. and one time they mentioned ways to help with moisture. One of them was to take a coffee can or something similar and put holes in the lid. Then put charcoal in it and it'll help draw the moisture. I put a couple of smaller cans in the tack of my trailer and it seemed to help.

After that I also made sure I laid my wet pads out on the ground to dry or laid them over the divider in my horse compartment before putting them back in the tack and between the two, it seemed to help.
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2013-07-26 2:18 PM (#153571 - in reply to #153542)

Extreme Veteran

I always save those little silica gel packets from vitamins, shoe boxes, etc. I put them in my tack room and trailer and rarely have a problem. I also dry my saddle pads out before putting them back near any leather items.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2013-07-27 10:06 PM (#153613 - in reply to #153542)

CRG:  we had the same problem in TN, ended up putting a small window a/c unit in the wall.  Solved the problem and didn't have to dump the water thingy in a dehumidifier.

Love the tips about charcoal and the silica packets.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-07-28 3:27 PM (#153624 - in reply to #153613)

Expert

We don't want to cut a hole in the metal lined tack room for a window because,it  goes directly into the hay shed side,a perfect place for someone to break in to the tack room via the window and get out unseen with our saddles. Plus,the incredible amount of dust from the hay,and,the hay would cover that window in wintertime,stacked up against that wall.

I guess we should have had a vent of some kind on that sloped side of the barn roof,like a whirlybird,for ventilation.not thinking! 16It stays closed up a lot,so,it is cooler in there because of the metal walls,I guess.Guess a fan or dehumidifier will have to be the answer.

Is it ever recommended or advisable to add some bleach,say,a 10% dilution,to rinse water on tack that has molded?

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2013-07-31 9:53 PM (#153717 - in reply to #153542)

We put the ac above the door to the tack room.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-08-01 1:11 AM (#153723 - in reply to #153717)

Expert

I appreciate your suggestions.That would put the a/c unit out into the center aisle of the barn.An a/c isn't going to be practical,for us.Maybe a dehumidifier or fan.
Saddleup
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-08-02 8:30 PM (#153772 - in reply to #153542)

Regular

Just a suggestion, perhaps a solar powered roof/attic fan  would work to remove excess moisture from trailer.?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-08-02 9:03 PM (#153777 - in reply to #153772)

Expert

Probably,but,as a retrofit,would be pretty pricey to install,and,I doubt my husband is going to want someone to cut any holes in the metal roof of the barn.Guess we'll have to try a fan or dehumidifier,plus the charcoal in the cans trick.We should have thought of that sooner,as I said! whoops! (wish that our barn contractor had!)
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-08-02 9:05 PM (#153778 - in reply to #153777)

Expert

sorry,I just re read your post,you said TRAILER.
Saddleup
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-08-02 9:23 PM (#153780 - in reply to #153542)

Regular

my error,... meant barn
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2013-08-05 10:03 PM (#153849 - in reply to #153542)

Extreme Veteran

For the charcoal if I remember right, they also mentioned for larger rooms you could put your charcoal in a pillow case and hang it up and then put something underneath it to drain in.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2013-08-10 11:11 PM (#153930 - in reply to #153542)

Extreme Veteran

It's been so wet around here everything is trying to mold and mildew. What a wet summer.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-08-13 7:58 AM (#153982 - in reply to #153930)

Expert

That's true! For here,too.14
Coolie Chick
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-08-25 3:19 PM (#154253 - in reply to #153542)

Mold spore grows and spreads. All of the tack needs to be kept clear of mold or it will grow on most of the other leather in the same area. Good old vinegar is a mold killer. I put some in water... probably a 1/4 C. in a quart of water. You could also add Murphy's Oil Soap and clean while you are killing the mold. Then, I clean off the mold with that mixture using one of the kitchen scrubby sponges that has the yellow sponge and a green scratchy pad on one side.  It is the normal dishes kind, not the pot kind. Do all of the surface of the piece of tack, including up under flaps, etc. If you have mold in the grooves, use a fingernail brush with the vinegar water.  Wipe it off good with a dry towel if you want, then let it dry. You can then saddle soap, oil, or what ever you do to normally clean/condition your leather. BTW, you can clean suede with Murphy's Oil Soap... even the suede kneee rolls on the older forward seat jump saddles. I used a dinner knife to scrape the dirt out of the suede after getting it fairly wet. It dried, then I brushed it up to a nice nap with a stiff brush.

It also might be a good idea to wipe down the interior of your tackroom with vinegar water. Vinegar is also good for a lot of other uses.

I have seen a tendency for pure neatsfoot oil to possibly be the cause of mold so I am using pure olive oil. It works great, smells better than neatsfoot, and, it is readily available.

We had a dehumidifier in my tackroom but it went T.U.  Since then, I've been using one of the radiator type heaters. They are cheap, not likely to cause a fire, and don't seem to run the power bill up a lot. My tackroom is insulated and is about 12 x 30 feet. It does the job set on the lower heat setting. I have a lot of tack... four saddles, many bridles, and several harnesses too.

BTW, we are in the western side of Washington state, known for a huge rainfall and high humidity year round.

I hope that helps........ 

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2013-09-02 4:55 AM (#154474 - in reply to #154253)

Expert

Originally written by Coolie Chick on 2013-08-25 3:19 PM

Mold spore grows and spreads. All of the tack needs to be kept clear of mold or it will grow on most of the other leather in the same area. Good old vinegar is a mold killer. I put some in water... probably a 1/4 C. in a quart of water. You could also add Murphy's Oil Soap and clean while you are killing the mold. Then, I clean off the mold with that mixture using one of the kitchen scrubby sponges that has the yellow sponge and a green scratchy pad on one side.  It is the normal dishes kind, not the pot kind. Do all of the surface of the piece of tack, including up under flaps, etc. If you have mold in the grooves, use a fingernail brush with the vinegar water.  Wipe it off good with a dry towel if you want, then let it dry. You can then saddle soap, oil, or what ever you do to normally clean/condition your leather. BTW, you can clean suede with Murphy's Oil Soap... even the suede kneee rolls on the older forward seat jump saddles. I used a dinner knife to scrape the dirt out of the suede after getting it fairly wet. It dried, then I brushed it up to a nice nap with a stiff brush.

It also might be a good idea to wipe down the interior of your tackroom with vinegar water. Vinegar is also good for a lot of other uses.

I have seen a tendency for pure neatsfoot oil to possibly be the cause of mold so I am using pure olive oil. It works great, smells better than neatsfoot, and, it is readily available.

We had a dehumidifier in my tackroom but it went T.U.  Since then, I've been using one of the radiator type heaters. They are cheap, not likely to cause a fire, and don't seem to run the power bill up a lot. My tackroom is insulated and is about 12 x 30 feet. It does the job set on the lower heat setting. I have a lot of tack... four saddles, many bridles, and several harnesses too.

BTW, we are in the western side of Washington state, known for a huge rainfall and high humidity year round.

I hope that helps........ 

Thanks so much,this is what I was looking for.we will try the radiant heater in the cooler months,but in summer even that room is pretty hot.(we are in Arkansas so you can imagine.) We have a fan circulating in it now.I think the problem is,the all metal walls plus,no light source unless we turn one on.

Coolie Chick
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-09-04 5:35 PM (#154547 - in reply to #153542)

There are crystals that are available at RV supplies that absorb the extra moisture. It doesn't take long to use them up, so don't expect them to last a long time. They do a good job but the plastic catchers that the crystals go in do need to be dumped. It is best to do this before it gets clear full as it is a bit messy to clean up. 

Glad I was able to help you out.

Coolie Chick
Reg. Feb 2013
Posted 2013-09-04 5:45 PM (#154548 - in reply to #153542)

During your hot humid summers, you might also add some humidity absorbing product. There are crystals that are available at RV supplies that absorb the moisture. It doesn't take long to use them up, so don't expect them to last a long time. You will need to refill them on a regular basis. They do a good job but the plastic catchers that the crystals go in also need to have the liquid they pulled from the air dumped. It is best to do this before it gets clear full as it is a bit messy to clean up. 

You might also get a humidity gauge so you can tell how humid it is in your tackroom. If you do that, you should be able to learn at what % of humidity the mold starts to take off. It might be that it is a combination of temperature and humidity. I don't know. I just try to stay after it as an ongoing task, and, keep any mold that gets started removed. It really spreads.

I have a friend who is having problems with her skin... a fungus... and she thinks it might be from the tackroom where she boarded her horse. There was always mold on the owners unused extra tack.

Glad I was able to help you out.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)