'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Opinions Wanted on Slant Load Horse Trailers with Built-in Mangers. Likes & Dislikes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-27 12:19 AM
14 replies, 5328 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-22 5:08 PM (#25452)
Subject: Opinions Wanted on Slant Load Horse Trailers with Built-in Mangers. Likes & Dislikes

Regular

I was just wondering what people like and dislike about built in mangers. I just bought a 1997 all aluminum Sundowner Two Horse Slant Load  with built-in mangers. I absolutely love the way the trailer pulls and I love everything about it, especially the large 4X8 foot dressing area. I hope to put Basic living quarters in it eventually. It already has air, so that's a start. I think the original owner must have ordered it to have extra space in the dressing area because most of the 2 horse slant load Sundowners that I saw had an appx. 2 X 6 dressing area. Anyway, I like that the built-in mangers gives you storage on the outside, but in turn it does take up space in the horse area.( about 2 ft worth) My horses are not very big. 15.1 hands or less, so I don't really think it will effect the way they ride, but it does feel less roomy then my last trailer. I practiced loading the horses today to see what they thought and they were not very eager to get in. I'm sure with a little patients, they will eventually load just fine, but I would love to hear all of your opinions to help me decide if I like this feature or not.

Edited by LazyDayHorseFarm. TN 2005-05-22 9:10 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-05-22 10:35 PM (#25463 - in reply to #25452)
Subject: RE: Opinions Wanted on Slant Load Horse Trailers with Built-in Mangers. Likes & Dislikes

Extreme Veteran

I like them.  Lots of good storage and generator space.  I don't have them on the trailer I have now and wish I did.

The only drawback (IMO) is IF they are too high.  Horses need to drop their head to relax and/or sleep.  Too low is better than too high.

HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-22 10:58 PM (#25467 - in reply to #25452)
Subject: RE: Opinions Wanted on Slant Load Horse Trailers with Built-in Mangers. Likes & Dislikes

Regular

Mangers are a convenience for people...not horses!

My vet is finding knee problems related to hauling horses in 7' wide trailers with mangers.  When you hit the brakes, a lot of horses slam their knees into the manger because they are too close to it, especially bigger horses.  7 1/2' or 8' wide trailers are better for mangers if you have to have them for convenience, but I would avoid any 7' wide trailer with mangers at all costs.

Respiritory problems can be increased if you haul very far with mangers without unloading your horses every few hours so they can get their head down and blow out any accumulation in their airway.  A horse HAS to be able to get their head down to rid the airway of waste, or else bacteria develops and the respiratory problems begin. 

The better solution to storage problems is to buy a 3 horse trailer if you haul 2 horses and use the front stall as a mid tack.  That's what I did in my new Platinum.  I only haul 2 horses, and I have a 3 horse, 8' wide, and I have 1 manger on the rear horse because that horse has more room than the others around the corner of the rear tack.  I put my smaller horse in there.  I haul a 16 hand horse in the middle, so I don't want a manger there in front of him.  He already has to have his back end against the wheel wells, and I want him to have room to get his head down if he needs to blow.  My front stall has a stud divider and it's my mid tack area with an escape door and a walk thru door.

I sell trailers, and obviously, I don't like mangers.  I'm a horse person first, and I try to look at every option from the best interest of the horse.  To me, my horses come first, before any convenience for myself.  Just an opinion, and I talk to people every day who like mangers.  I know I'm in the minority, but that's how I feel.

WildEquine
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-23 7:04 AM (#25469 - in reply to #25452)

I am in the process of selling my 2H slant and going back to a straight load w/mangers.  My horses are all trained to load with little resistance but absolutely dislike the slant.  I can see more resistance with each trip.  Never had that trouble with the straight loads.  Mine seem more content with that manger under their heads.........always found them quite content to hang their heads over it and snuggle in...........the slants w/o mangers just seemed to give nothing for them to support their chest against if thrown forward, with nothing to stop them but their heads slamming into the trailer wall (never had this happen, but was always a concern of mine).  I did find them much happier on a longer tie though.  Those trailer ties are just too short if attached to those high rings above the drop windows on my slant. 
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-23 8:03 AM (#25471 - in reply to #25469)

Expert

I believe that someone who posts here has a horse that tries to climb into mangers, not good.
I agree that they need to be able to get their heads down frequently and I'm in the minority with the poster who believes that the horses' interests should overide the owner's convenience, at least in the horse compartment.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-23 8:24 AM (#25474 - in reply to #25452)

Expert

I am not a fan of mangers unless the trailer is an 8' wide, then I love them. 
run&jump
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-05-23 12:30 PM (#25498 - in reply to #25467)

So, anyone know of an Elite, Platinum or 4 Star, 7'6" high, 8' wide, 11' or so SW for sale w/o mangers?

My price range keeps increasing, but I can't find a trailer! And I'd like it now!

Thanks,
Trisha the Impatient.
RichB
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-23 12:59 PM (#25501 - in reply to #25452)

Extreme Veteran

I have mangers now, but my next trailer will not have them.  I would rather give the horses more room, the mangers take up a good 18". It makes for a nice storage area underneath them, but as it was said, good for me, not for the horses.  Also remember, mangers aren't adjustable, so the shorter the horse, the more vertical they have to keep their neck. 

But with all that said, I don't have any problems hauling my horses now, and unless you plan on taking long trips frequently, your horses should be just fine.    

krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-05-25 8:08 AM (#25642 - in reply to #25501)

Elite Veteran

I dont have mangers now in my trailer, nor will I ever have them. My reasons of safety and health are the same as mentioned before. I love my floor space I get without them. If I absolutely need to feed on trips, I have those stant manger bags I can put in. I can even adjust the height of them for the smaller horses.
barrelracer4sure
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-05-25 8:44 AM (#25648 - in reply to #25452)

Can the horses get there heads down if the trailer is 8 wide with mangers?
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-25 12:06 PM (#25658 - in reply to #25471)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Reg on 2005-05-23 9:03 AM

I believe that someone who posts here has a horse that tries to climb into mangers, not good. I agree that they need to be able to get their heads down frequently and I'm in the minority with the poster who believes that the horses' interests should overide the owner's convenience, at least in the horse compartment.

That's me... well actually it was the chest bar but same difference.. and that is the reason I didn't even consider buying a trailer with a manger (and what finally spurred be to buy a new trailer at all). I have a 7" wide slant CM and my little monkey is doing very well hauling in it - I even let her have a feed bag last ride (I had been using hay bags with the hole because I thought she might climb into the open feed bags). Now this horse is not the norm - she's always going with her feet - never pawing the ground - just vertical surfaces so I have to be careful with her.

As for the horses comfort - no mangers does offer more room and I have those feed bags that are open under their head... so I still get the feeding convenience offered by a manger - I don't need the extra space anyway - after coming from a mid SUV and small 2H - I now have more room than I know what to do with as it is

hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-05-25 6:02 PM (#25676 - in reply to #25452)

Extreme Veteran

The walls of a manger can prevent a horse from spreading their legs forward for balance, and is a very common problem for a horse to wind up in the manger due to lack of balance during a ride

Edited by hconley 2005-05-25 6:05 PM
LazyDayHorseFarm. TN
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-05-25 6:18 PM (#25677 - in reply to #25452)

Regular

Well, now that I have had my trailer for about a week, I have decided I am not crazy about the built-in manger. (I had bought the trailer by only looking at pictures via the internet and I did not realize how much room the mangers took.) My mistake, but I still like everything else about the trailer and I think maybe it can be modified. The horses seem to travel fine, but they do looked a little cramped to me. The trailer is only about 7 feet wide and not 8, which would have given them plenty of room. I don't travel long distances, so I'm sure the'll be fine for now. Thanks for all the opinions.
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-05-25 9:33 PM (#25682 - in reply to #25677)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by LazyDayHorseFarm. TN on 2005-05-25 7:18 PM

Well, now that I have had my trailer for about a week, I have decided I am not crazy about the built-in manger. (I had bought the trailer by only looking at pictures via the internet and I did not realize how much room the mangers took.) My mistake, but I still like everything else about the trailer and I think maybe it can be modified. The horses seem to travel fine, but they do looked a little cramped to me. The trailer is only about 7 feet wide and not 8, which would have given them plenty of room. I don't travel long distances, so I'm sure the'll be fine for now. Thanks for all the opinions.

If it does bother you I'm sure a local body shop or trailer repair place could modify it for you... either remove them all together or get them slanted down from the feeding surface - then you could keep the feeding area and some of the storage and the horses would have their leg room.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-05-27 12:19 AM (#25734 - in reply to #25452)

Expert

I have a Platinum 3HSl w/mangers,and a 2H BP w/mangers.I wouldn't have a trailer without them,and not for my convenience,either.I put feed,hay,and sometimes a small rubber tub with water in mine for my horses convenience.I might mention that the 3H is 71/2 W.I knew better than to buy one without mangers,tho we looked at a really nice KieferBuilt.We knew our horses are used to them,and expecting that feed on board.I imagine it would be pretty tight in a 7W though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)