'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck Camper vs Horse Trailer LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-15 12:03 PM
9 replies, 11437 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rattler
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-03-07 2:10 PM (#78931)
Subject: Truck Camper vs Horse Trailer LQ

Regular

I'm beginning to consider some type of living quarters for my horse related travel. I'm considering a horse trailer with living quarters but also like the flexibility of a truck camper and a bumper pull trailer. Money-wise it appears to be about the same either way

Wondered if anyone on the forum had gone from one to the other or reasons for choosing one over the other.

Thanks

Rattler

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-07 2:37 PM (#78937 - in reply to #78931)
Subject: RE: Truck Camper vs Horse Trailer LQ

Elite Veteran

I really liked my truck camper 8.5 ft with shower.[Coachmen}   I now have an EBY lq and frieghtliner.  If I did'nt have a dachshund with 3" legs I might have gone backto the truck camper.  I really like the new bigfoot.
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-03-07 2:37 PM (#78938 - in reply to #78931)

Veteran

I have owned both the big advantage that comes to mind for me is more of convenience than anything. Here's the scenario: You're starting dinner and realize you forgot something and there is a store just a few miles down the road. With a LQ trailer your truck is free to go, but with a truck camper you have to break down camp and take the kitchen with you. Of course you can take the truck camper off the truck while camping, but mine was unstable and unless you're staying a week its more trouble than its worth. Its not much, but thats just one thing that we ran up against.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-03-07 2:40 PM (#78939 - in reply to #78931)

Expert

For me it was more time consuming to  load the camper and then hook up the trailer.  With the LQ, it's just hook up and go.

Also the LQ is much more stable than camper and bumper pull. Much safer to tow.

Also with a camper/BP  where do you store all the stuff.  With my GN, I've always  seem to fill the truck bed with hay, extra water, generator, etc. If I had a camper, where would I put that stuff.

Downside.  There are places I can not tow my LQ.  I need a smaller trailer for some remote trail heads.

oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-03-08 10:41 PM (#79051 - in reply to #78931)

Regular

I have a pop up truck camper and a bumper pull with a large dressing room. I can park just about anywhere. I probably wouldn't take my camper off but I could unhook and leave my trailer. For people who like to camp without horses, it might be a good option. Mine only weighs about 1000 so I think my gas mileage might be better? The advantage of the gooseneck, hook up and you are ready to go plus you have unhook your truck like the others have said. It is just a personal choice!
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-03-08 11:55 PM (#79062 - in reply to #78931)

Extreme Veteran

I have a gooseneck w/lq and love it. I camp with a few hundred people when I go on endurance rides, and would say about 40% use campers + bumper pull and 40% use a gooseneck w/lq - the other 20% pull a bumper pull or GN without LQ and camp in a tent or in the back of the trailer. The only thing I do not like about my set-up is that when I go to local trail rides a few miles away, I have to haul the LQ trailer. My trailer is a 2H with 9' SW, so not super big, but it would be a little easier to take a little 2H bumper pull for day rides. The GN is definitely easier to get in and out of than a camper, and is very stable to tow, especially in high wind areas. My ride partner has a truck and camper and man that thing can really sway when we're driving across mountain passes and the weather is windy. I usually follow her in my rig and can tell it is hard to handle in high winds. Also, hooking up a trailer when you have a camper on is no easy task! I would choose a GN w/LQ again, and would not want to load and unload a camper. That is just this cowgirl's opinion :)

Edited by cowgirl98034 2008-03-08 11:58 PM
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-03-09 7:15 AM (#79068 - in reply to #78931)

Elite Veteran

I put my truck camper on in the spring and took it off in the fall.  It was not a daily driver.  Believe me a  big lq cannot go some places.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-03-14 11:40 PM (#79609 - in reply to #79068)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, and one other thing is that with the LQ, when you pull offroad, you have to worry about the hoses, tubes and tanks that are under your trailer.  I used to camp out of my old GN trailer with no LQ, just a big insulated tack room with carpeting. There were no grey/black water tanks or hoses.  I never worried about going offroad to find a good spot to camp for the weekend.  Now I have to make absolutely sure there are no rocks sticking up or buried logs, etc.  In a camper, you also do not have to worry about such things.  I still prefer the truck and smaller LQ. I can park it almost anywhere, hookup the first time with no help, I can unhook and run to town in a jiffy, and,  it is easy to get in and out of.. no steps to climb in and out like a camper.  I'm sure there are other pros/cons but I can't think of them at the moment.
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-15 8:09 AM (#79616 - in reply to #78931)

Veteran

I had a truck camper for a number of years, and I was always worried about smashing a fender on my dually while loading or unloading.  I got the stablelift camper lift, which made things easier, but I still got rid of it for a LQ trailer.  The TC was hard to get in and out of, it was a PITA to get it off the truck to use the truck, the bathroom was too small to use, It would sway and shift, and with how wide it was, I couldn't see the horse trailer behind me.  I really don't think I'd go back to one. If I was just camping, it would be fine. 

Amanda

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-15 12:03 PM (#79621 - in reply to #78931)

Expert

We used truck campers for a number of years. Once during a stormy day, my wife was driving across a long interstate bridge, and was actually forced onto the shoulder by the wind. The loading and unloading of the campers was always a difficult and time consuming operation. An extra space had to be provided for the storage of the camper, which we usually kept under cover.

We have been using LQ horse trailers for several years now, and greatly prefer them to the truck campers. Hooking up is greatly simplified, the towing is rock steady regardless of weather conditions, and the truck mileage is better.

There are definite pros and cons to each usage. The camper has the advantage of being able to be used alone on less than ideal road conditions. As was stated, a trailer and LQ is limited to better road conditions.

If you are a camper and that is your primary usage, then the truck camper would be an advantage. If your travels always include horses and decent roads, the LQ trailer is the best way. You have to choose which consideration best meets your needs.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-03-15 2:37 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World