'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer sales tax?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-07 2:00 PM
11 replies, 11825 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-05-07 6:42 AM (#83338)
Subject: trailer sales tax?

Expert

I'm sure there is a thread on this in the past.Here goes,anyway,don't have time to search.I inquired about a used trailer in another state.(GA.) the dealer that has it emailed me back the price,"plus sales tax." I said,"Sales tax?" Now,it's not as if I've never heard of sales tax.But,anytime I've EVER purchased a trailer,new,used,or anything,through a dealer,or an individual,I paid no sales tax at the time of the sale.It was when I licensed it in my state that I paid sales tax,provided the price minus the trade-in or sale of a previous trailer came to more than $1800.But I've bought 3 new trailers in another state (not GA) and I never paid a dime of sales tax until I licensed it here in Arkansas.

What the --?? If I have to pay sales tax in another state,plus,pay it here in my own,that would cancel out a real good deal in a big hurry.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-07 6:58 AM (#83340 - in reply to #83338)
Subject: RE: trailer sales tax?

I got into the same kind of problem with buying a car in FL. They said if the car was "driven" out of FL, then would need to pay FL sales tax but could ship on hauler without having to pay sales tax. AR sales tax folks said that FL does NOT forward the sales tax over so would have to still pay AR taxes on it. Only way to advoid paying double sales tax on the car was to either title it in FL than transfer title to AR or ship it. We decided to ship it.

I have paid  for taxes in another state on trucks, but they always call over to see how much AR charges and then cut me a check before I leave with the truck. So I am actually only paying AR taxes when I get home.

Maybe the trailer dealer was planning to cut you a check for your taxes to be paid once you got back to AR.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-05-07 7:54 AM (#83342 - in reply to #83340)

Expert

I doubt it.I emailed to verify the price,since the ad said it had been 'reduced." When I did,he stated the price,"plus sales tax." I thought,"Man,you'd better plan on selling that to someone from GA or NOT from Arkansas".As high as fuel is,and we're farmers,besides,so we'll be getting the brunt of that deal again this year,and paying double taxes on a trailer? Nope.I'll have to find one closer to home that I like.IT was a nice older trailer,however.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-07 7:56 AM (#83343 - in reply to #83338)

Expert

Each state has their own sales tax rules.

I have bought several trucks out of state and driven them back home. 

When I bought it in Colorado, I showed my out of state license and gave an out of state address for the registration, warranty etc. They collected no tax and I paid the tax when I registered in my home state.

I bought one in Oregon, They have no sales tax, So again I paid the sales tax when I registered the truck.  In both of these examples No title was issued until I got home and registered.

A 3rd one, I paid the sales tax at the location where I bought the truck,   and when I got home I showed the DVM the reciept and had to pay the difference between their lower rate and my home states higher rate when I registered and got my title.

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-07 8:17 AM (#83349 - in reply to #83338)

Veteran

I just bought a trailer in PA at a dealer, and paid the sales tax there.  I haven't registered it yet but when I do I won't have to pay ME sales tax as well... only the state who sold the item receives the sales tax.

A few years ago I bought a trailer from a private seller in MA.  I did not pay sales tax, obviously, so I did pay that when I registered it.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-07 10:37 AM (#83375 - in reply to #83338)

Sharon, I thought trailers were tax exempt in Maine? In fact, I have several friends in PA,NY, &MD that register their trailers in Maine to avoid paying the sales tax.
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-07 11:00 AM (#83378 - in reply to #83338)

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2008-05-07 5:42 AM

I'm sure there is a thread on this in the past.Here goes,anyway,don't have time to search.I inquired about a used trailer in another state.(GA.) the dealer that has it emailed me back the price,"plus sales tax." I said,"Sales tax?" Now,it's not as if I've never heard of sales tax.But,anytime I've EVER purchased a trailer,new,used,or anything,through a dealer,or an individual,I paid no sales tax at the time of the sale.It was when I licensed it in my state that I paid sales tax,provided the price minus the trade-in or sale of a previous trailer came to more than $1800.But I've bought 3 new trailers in another state (not GA) and I never paid a dime of sales tax until I licensed it here in Arkansas.

What the --?? If I have to pay sales tax in another state,plus,pay it here in my own,that would cancel out a real good deal in a big hurry.

I checked with our Atlanta office, and you should not have to pay Georgia sales tax if you are an out of state resident, and you intend to license it in your home state. The dealer should be familiar with this form, but if not you can go to the Georgia Dept. of Revenue website and download Form ST-8. As long as the dealer has that form filled out and on file, you shouldn't have to pay Georgia sales tax. Here is the link to the ST-8. http://www.etax.dor.ga.gov/salestax/st3forms/TSD_Sales_Tax_Nonresident_Purchase_MotorVehicle_Exemption_Certificate_ST8.pdf

Good luck!

Bill

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-07 11:10 AM (#83381 - in reply to #83375)

Veteran

Originally written by brushycreekranch on 2008-05-07 10:37 AM

Sharon, I thought trailers were tax exempt in Maine? In fact, I have several friends in PA,NY, &MD that register their trailers in Maine to avoid paying the sales tax.

You know, I don't actually REMEMER paying sales tax on that trailer, I just assumed I did.  However, I didn't find anything on the Maine State website that says horse trailers are sales tax exempt... except for this PDF which only talks about vehicles used for commerce

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-05-07 11:55 AM (#83386 - in reply to #83378)

Expert

Thanks,Wendy.I would assume that he would know this.It's certainly a way to make a person run backwards,the idea that they'd have to pay sales tax in two states.Or go through some big Hoo-doo about it once they got it back home,which,I can assure you,would probably be the case HERE.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-05-07 12:30 PM (#83396 - in reply to #83338)

This is the site they go to get the forms to register in Maine without having to pay sales tax. Once the trailer is titled in ME, then it can be transfered to any state.

http://www.mbi-trailers.com/register/

Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-07 1:21 PM (#83400 - in reply to #83338)

Veteran

HOLY COW.  Even with the additional fee ($32 instead of $20 if you register directly at the BMV), it's obviously a good deal... that first year anyway.

I looked and couldn't find a form or any information that would have allowed me to NOT pay sales tax when I picked up the trailer in PA.  So as far as I know, I didn't pay $630 that I didn't have to.  Whew!

windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-05-07 2:00 PM (#83408 - in reply to #83338)

You're welcome. I don't know every state's laws, but most states won't charge sales tax on a motor vehicle that is titled out of state.

Bill

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)