Treating wood trailer floor
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-12-27 6:30 PM (#156429)
Subject: Treating wood trailer floor

Veteran

Has anyone used the 1 part turpentine and 2 parts linseed oil to reseal the wood floor of the horse trailer. The only other idea I found on the net was used motor oil but really am not comfortable with that idea. I just want to make sure the turpentine/linseed oil will work and is not a problem for the horses. I will be putting rubber mats down as well.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-12-28 2:09 PM (#156448 - in reply to #156429)
Subject: RE: Treating wood trailer floor

Expert

Linseed oil is a very poor moisture protectant for wood. Over a relatively short time it evaporates and oxidizes, leaving the wood unprotected. Even indoors, it regularly has to be reapplied to remain effective.

If the flooring is covered with mats and regularly cleaned, it can last as long as the trailer. We had a wooden stock/combo trailer with an untreated wooden floor. When it was sold after over a decade of hard usage, except for paint over spray due to a restoration, the flooring looked like new. After every usage, we used to roll the butt side of the mats inward, and flush the floor and wall joint with a garden hose.

Many oil based wood protectorants are available for wood sealing. They are commonly sold for decking, fencing and most notably, for log home ownership. They are low viscosity products that penetrate and absorb into the wood cells, where they dry and seal the wood fibers. Because the flooring is more protected from the sun's UV damage than their regular external applications, these products can be long lasting. They are first applied in multiple applications, flooding the wood until it can no longer absorb any more of the sealants. Subsequent applications are easily added, after a cursory cleaning of the flooring.

Latex based product are surfactants, do not penetrate deeply into the wood and are subject to mechanical damage. To reapply, the original surface coating often has to be firstly removed.

The best sealant is also the most expensive. In the marine industry, epoxy coatings and adhesives are use to encapsulate wood products. They effectively block any moisture from reaching the wood. They are absorbed into the wood cells and then chemically harden to form a waterproof barrier, whilst mechanically strengthening the wood.

There is one manufacturer of bed line materials that is marketing its product for usage on wooden flooring. Dupli Color's "Bed Armor" is being sold to protect wooden products. It is the only manufacturer of which I am familiar with, to do so.

Regular maintenance will enhance the life span of the flooring. Adding a proper sealant can increase its longevity, as well as reducing the amount of upkeep labour.
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2013-12-30 11:38 AM (#156494 - in reply to #156429)

Veteran

I used Thompsons Waterseal 10 yr ago on my wood floor. Still looks good!
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2013-12-30 5:57 PM (#156508 - in reply to #156429)

Veteran

As Gard has already stated oil based wood sealers, they are getting hard to find though due to the EOC's and the EPA. If you have a True Value store around check there. Forget Lowes they sell only latex or water based stuff here in Ky. You need something that requires something other than soap and water cleanup....
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-12-30 6:22 PM (#156511 - in reply to #156429)

Veteran

Thanks for the tips. I will look for the oil based sealents. I am picking up an older Merhow BP trailer this weekend. Not sure of the floor condition. The sellers state it is OK. The price I am getting the trailer for is too good a deal to pass up even if the floor is completely rotted out. I will check when I pick it up and see what it needs. Worse case I will just replace rotted boards. On that note, can you get pressure treated hardwood or are you limited to the pressure treated pine you get at Home Depot and Lowe's?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-12-30 10:28 PM (#156521 - in reply to #156429)

Expert

http://www.logfinish.com/store/Q8_Intro.php