calico trailers?
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-02 7:56 PM (#75906)
Subject: calico trailers?

Extreme Veteran

Hi everyone.  Looking at a 2 horse slant/stock type G/N for my daughter who's still in school. Found one at a Dealer in Orange City IA.  It's new and looks like it would work great for her.   I don't know anything about Calico trailers.  She only has the one horse.  Any Comments, Good, Bad or even Ugly that I should know about. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-02 10:59 PM (#75917 - in reply to #75906)
Subject: RE: calico trailers?

Expert

They are OK,as steel trailers go.They're made here in Arkansas.You can do a search on this site and pull up some threads about them.

They're a good basic trailer for what you are wanting it for I think.

sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-03 6:00 PM (#75967 - in reply to #75917)

Extreme Veteran

Ok thanks.  She's got a couple more years of school left at West Texas A&M.  I'll check out the site.
osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-03 10:03 PM (#75989 - in reply to #75906)

Very satisfied with my calico stock trailer. It is basic, nothing fancy and never had a problem with it. Of course, with any steel trailer, it will rust.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-02-04 4:16 PM (#76057 - in reply to #75906)

Elite Veteran

The main problem with Calicos seems to be in the paint. They do seem to fade rather quickly. I ordered one new in 1999 as a good basic starter trailer. In 2003 it needed to be repainted, so rather than spend that money I decided to upgrade to an aluminum trailer. Mine was gray so it showed rust easily. Somewhat in their defense though, they had to hurry the build because the dealer didn't submit the order in early April when I ordered it, but waited until mid May. I was going on a weeks trip to the Black Hills the first week in June. I had to call the factory direct to push the build through.
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-04 7:51 PM (#76064 - in reply to #75906)

Extreme Veteran

I wondered about the paint on them.  But like you said, they are a great starter trailer. She's only 26 and just has one horse a school. This way she'll have something in stead of bumbing rides.  Thanks for the advice.
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-02-05 3:56 PM (#76137 - in reply to #75906)

Veteran

I just bought a 2000 Calico 12' stock/combo just for local hauling. A very basic trailer. It is not rusted, but it is not a quality built trailer by any means. But, for basic hauling like your daughter wants it should be fine.

Judy
lazyj70
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 3:36 PM (#86086 - in reply to #75906)

The last part of 1999 through 2001 we used Sterling brand paint and had some serious paint problems as did a lot of the other major steel brands along that time.  In September of 2002 we realized that we had a major paint issue and quickly switched to Valspar High Solid Acrylic Enamel paint and upgraded our acid etching process and since then we have had not one single trailer returned because of the paint.  As for the trailers painted with the Sterling paint we repainted every single one that was brought to our attention.  We had a problem, but I feel like we did a very good job of addressing the problem.  As for the rust-All steel trailers are going to rust.  If someone tells you that their steel trailer will not rust they are not telling you the truth.  The amount of rust on a steel trailer largely depends on the owner of the trailer.  If you drive 50 M.P.H. down a gravel road with out mud flaps on your truck you will have a lot more rust than the guy that drives 25 M.P.H. with mud flaps on his truck.  If you treat your Calico steel trailer as well as you treat your truck it will last just as long or longer than your truck.  Also you folks need to look at the Calico of today.  It's NOT your "Grandfathers Calico."  We have greatly improved them since early 2000.  We have added 10 ply radial tires, extra seam sealer, improved windows, window guards, embossed aluminum diamond plate gravel guards, 6" radius roof, new oval tail lights sealed inside heavy upright post, and several other items.  I really think we have the very best trailer on the market for the money.  Sure there are fancier trailers out there, but they are several hundred to a few thousand dollars more.  Thanks for taking time to read this.  I just wanted to tell my side of our paint issues of the past and notice that I said PAST.

Sean Johnson, President, Calico Trailer Mfg. Co. Inc.

Edited by lazyj70 2008-06-20 3:48 PM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-06-21 7:10 AM (#86113 - in reply to #75906)

Expert

Good for you.  It is very good when a manufacturer can recognize that there is a problem, and takes steps to remedy it.  Also adding features and improvements along the way.  Thank you for mentioning these things in a non confrontational way.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2008-06-23 8:50 AM (#86181 - in reply to #75906)

Elite Veteran

lazyj70- I wish I had known that you were repainting the 99 era trailers. I would have kept mine. As I said in my earlier post the dealer I used was not very helpful. I know that he is not a Calico dealer any more. As both you and I said in the earlier posts your trailers are VERY good trailers for the price. The thing I really liked about mine was that it was a custom build with the skin on the outside and set up with a slant for the horses and a livestock gate with a slide on the back.Armed with this new info I will be a strong advocate for your company. Congrats on recognizing problems and fixing them!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-23 9:20 AM (#86182 - in reply to #75906)

Expert

I found it interesting to see the differences in responses from the owners of various trailer manufacturers, when their products are being discussed.

The owner of Calico addressed the previous problems, and related how his products were changed and improved as a result. His demeanor was matter of fact, and not condescending. The results from the forum were an approval and favourable response.

When Blue Ribbon was criticised, Leonard, the owner of that brand and some local dealerships, spent several paragraphs lambasting the ex employee who made some critical statements. Ugly things followed and Dave froze the thread.

The problems with Sundowner steel trailers are notorious, and were categorically denied by the dealers and manufacturer for years. Only until many dissatisfied owners became vocal, were the problems addressed. Finally the manufacturer changed the construction materials, and there has been little if any negative ownership reports.

I guess there is not a universal school that all business owners attend. I'm sure  the varying responses of these businesses to negative publicity, are indicative of the type of service you could expect from an ownership of their products.

Gard

lazyj70
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-06-26 12:01 PM (#86412 - in reply to #75906)

Thanks for the favorable responses to my post.  As a manufactuer all I can ask when we make a mistake is to please be fair to us (or any other manufactuer) and give us a chance to remedy the problem before going on a message board and bashing us on a public forum and then if we do not fix the problem to your satisfaction by all means let us have it!  All manufactuers have their problems from GM and Ford right on down to the smaller guys like Calico, but I belive what makes a good company is one that will own up to and fix those mistakes and one that does not try to sell you on something they are not.  I have never represented Calico as a high end steel trailer just to try to get someone to buy one.  They are very good entry level trailers.  I had a man call me last week to thank me for putting out such a good product.  When I asked him when he bought his trailer he said he bought it in 2002.  I then asked him why he had waited 6 years to call and thank me.  He said it was because in 2002 he had bought it for $2800 and sold it the first of June, 2008 for $2800.  That's right, he pulled it 6 years and got 100% of his money back.  Now I don't want to mislead anyone, these figures are not typical but they do speak volumes about the resale value of steel Calico trailers that have been well maintained.  Thanks again for your responses and if I you have any questions please give me a call.  Our contact information is on our web site at www.calicotrailers.com

Sean Johnson, President, Calico Trailer Mfg. Co. Inc.

DBTminer
Reg. Jun 2015
Posted 2015-06-01 11:46 AM (#163616 - in reply to #75906)

New User

I just purchased a Calico horse trailer on 4-17-15. (Little less than a month and a half ago)and it is already showing signs of rusting. Even the caulked joints have rust coming out of them. I've hauled horses in it three times. It appears that the metal was not properly prepped prior to painting. Rust water runs out of the channels that are not welded. I'm going to contact the supplier in regards to this issue.
DBTminer
Reg. Jun 2015
Posted 2015-06-01 11:46 AM (#163617 - in reply to #163616)

New User

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2015-06-02 6:22 AM (#163621 - in reply to #75906)

Elite Veteran

A) Sounds typical of a steel trailer.

B) You post here in public, BEFORE you contact them. Come on...
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2015-06-02 10:44 AM (#163624 - in reply to #75906)

Elite Veteran

I bough a used calico, it had been kept inside and I also kept inside. Was a great serviceable little trailer. I think it was a 12 ft stock. Sold it cause I needed a little longer one. I would buy another for a run around trailer.
DBTminer
Reg. Jun 2015
Posted 2015-06-02 12:01 PM (#163625 - in reply to #75906)

New User

Yes I did post in public! As I read this thread prior to purchasing the trailer it did somewhat answers some questions that I have, BUT at the end of the day it will cost me more money or be a inconvenience as I use this trailer at least every other weekend. If I were researching a new trailer this is information that would be very helpful in making my decision. This isn't the end of the story, I will keep everyone posted as I go through the process of getting the resolution. So far I have sent the dealer an email and I haven't received any response in 24 hours.