'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Old Decals on Trailer Removed, now lines appearing???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-25 12:34 PM
6 replies, 5190 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-08-23 8:49 AM (#90231)
Subject: Old Decals on Trailer Removed, now lines appearing???

Charter Member

Our 2007 Elite was pre-owned and traded in within a few months for a new LQ Bloomer. We purchased it in June 2007.

Apparently the prior owner had their name written on the hayrack with decals. I never knew until I looked up one day this summer and saw their name starting to appear (kinda a lighter color than the rest of the white on the hayrack sidewall).

Is this something that will go away if I go have the trailer acid washed or do I need to do something different??? I'd rather not have to add decals to cover it up.

Also - aside from the occasional acid wash - what product do you wash your aluminum trailers with? I tried the EQ Solutions Truck and Trailer wash, but it didn't seem to do any good at all. I tried letting it set as well as scrubbing and the road grime just didn't want to come off (it really isn't THAT dirty, but enough that I wanted to make it shinier)...

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-08-23 9:40 AM (#90237 - in reply to #90231)
Subject: RE: Old Decals on Trailer Removed, now lines appearing???

Expert

Many times when decals are used, the paint around them will fade. When the decals are removed, the fresh colouring underneath is exposed. It has not faded, while being protected by the decal. There isn't really anything you can do to change the paint's colouring, other than repainting if the damage is severe.

One method you can try to eliminate the differences, is to blend the old paint with the new. This is accomplished by applying a fine grade of polishing compound to the older, faded paint around the decal areas. The idea is to remove a small amount of the older paint's surface, exposing paint that is undamaged by the UV rays. This may enable you to match the brighter areas.

CRG and others have made many postings of their favourite metal brightener, a product called Streakmaster Aluminum Wash. It has a well documented following.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2008-08-23 10:20 AM
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-08-23 11:25 AM (#90245 - in reply to #90231)

Charter Member

Thanks for the info...

I guess anything can happen under the Texas sun, but the previous owner purchased the trailer in Feb. 2007 and traded it in, in June. We purchased it right after it was traded in and when we got it, there was no sign that decals had ever been on the trailer in that location. I just recently started seeing the outline of his name. 

It seems strange that it took over a year for the lettering to re-appear.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-08-23 1:38 PM (#90249 - in reply to #90231)

I have a 2007 Bloomer LQ and they told me never to acid wash it but to do the citrus wash as the acid will leave a dull finish on the polished aluminum slates. But, if your slates are mill finish and not shiny, then that may not apply to you.

OP wrote: Is this something that will go away if I go have the trailer acid washed or do I need to do something different??? I'd rather not have to add decals to cover it up.

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-08-24 10:05 AM (#90280 - in reply to #90231)

Charter Member

Where do you get the Citrus wash?
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-25 8:33 AM (#90311 - in reply to #90231)

Truck wash is the only place that I know of that you can get the citrus wash. Blue Beacon is the one that I know offers it. http://www.bluebeacon.com/LocationInformation/LocationMaps/Texas/default.aspx

Where the lines are showing up from the lettering, is that on painted skin or a mill finish. If it is painted, you can try waxing it. Eventually though, especially in the sun, it will fade to be more even either way.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-08-25 12:34 PM (#90325 - in reply to #90231)

Expert

Here's a "Citrus Wash" product, don't know anything about it...  It may be the same thing Blue Beacon uses.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Premium_Car_Wash_Shampoo_p/cws_301.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)