'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll GM integrated brake controller

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-09 8:08 PM
7 replies, 28005 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-10-28 4:29 PM (#93815)
Subject: GM integrated brake controller

Veteran

Can anyone tell me what the issue is concerning the failure of the GM integrated brake controller on the 2008 GM HD pickups? When I hit a big bump the service trailer system comes on and it disconnects my trailer brakes. I thought it was a faut in my LQ, but i borrowed a stock trailer and it did the same thing. Its works fine for about 100 miles, then a bump, and it goes off. after the truck sits all night, it resets itself and all is fine till the next 100 miles and bump. Anyone else had this problem?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-10-28 5:14 PM (#93822 - in reply to #93815)
Subject: RE: GM integrated brake controller

Expert

First thing I would do is check the trailer plug. Next thing would be, consult your GM service department. Are your trailer brakes wired in series? If so it will throw a code and disconnect themselves, alot of things can be a little off kilter and make GM's controller shut down. Then there's this...... Do you have electric over hydraulic brakes? If so, the factory GM unit will not work. You may need to read what this says below.... Good luck!

(this); border=0 originalHeight="90" originalWidth="90">

Subject:
Procedure For Installation of Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller in Lieu of Factory Installed Integrated Trailer Brake Controller #07-08-45-001A - (09/07/2007)

Models:
2007-2008 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2008 GMC Sierra

with Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (RPO JL1)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 model year, additional installation information and to emphasize that this is not a warranty repair. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-45-001 (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

Some vehicle owners may request to have an aftermarket trailer brake controller added, in lieu of the factory Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (ITBC) RPO JL1. This request may be made if the trailer being towed is equipped with electric over hydraulic brakes. This style of trailer brake system is not supported by the ITBC. An aftermarket trailer brake controller may be installed to operate with the electric over hydraulic brakes, however the factory installed ITBC system will be disabled.
Installation Instructions
To install an aftermarket trailer brake controller, use the four blunt cut wires located near the data link connector. Make the following changes to the vehicle harness:

Four Blunt Cut Wires

Dark Blue

Circuit 47

Brake Signal to Trailer Connector

Red/Black

Circuit 242

Battery Power

Light Blue/White

Circuit 6311

Brake Switch Input

White

Circuit 22

Ground

1. The Red/Black wire, circuit 242, must be connected to stud #2 of the 30 Amp fuse of the Underhood Fuse Block. This wire is located between the left fender and the Underhood Fuse Block.
    Locate connector X126 (on vehicles with RPO JF3 or JF7) or X115 (on vehicles with JL4) near the Underhood Fuse Block (Refer to SI Document ID# 1849049). Circuit 47 from the blunt cut wires near the data link connector will end at connector X126 terminal "G" or X115 terminal "B5." Obtain enough Dark Blue 12 gauge wire to run from X126/X115 to the 7-way trailer connector at the bumper. On one end of the Dark Blue wire attach terminal part number 15304732, located in Delphi Tray 8 and insert into X126 "G" or terminal part number 15304720 located in Delphi Tray 19 and insert into X115 "B5." Run the Dark Blue wire in its own conduit along the frame to the 7-way trailer connector at the bumper. Remove circuit 47 from the 7-way trailer connector terminal "C" and tape the bare terminal and attach to the harness. Attach terminal part number 12110853, located in Delphi Tray 4, to the other end of the Dark Blue wire and insert it into the 7-way trailer connector terminal "C".

Important: This procedure will not result in any Trailer Brake related display messages to be set. However, ITBC diagnostics will continue to function. If an ITBC fault is detected, a "Service Trailer Brake System" message will be displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC) and an appropriate DTC will be stored in the ITBC module. The operator will still be able to adjust gain and access the "Trailer Gain / Output" display page in the DIC. However, the factory installed ITBC system will not sense a trailer connection and will not provide output to the trailer.
Warranty Information
This installation procedure is to be performed at the customer's request and at their expense. It is not a warranty repair and a claim should not be submitted for reimbursement.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-10-28 6:49 PM (#93829 - in reply to #93815)

Extreme Veteran

FWIW,

I have had no issues with my gooseneck trailer, but with my bumper pull, I have had the connection come slightly loose causing it to turn the brakes off. I find a place to pull over and disconnect and then re-connect my plug and it usually works fine after that. I attributed it to the connection with my plug.....

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-01-12 8:39 AM (#97331 - in reply to #93815)

Veteran

I hve now taken the truck to 2 seperate dealers and they can not fix the problem. They heve it right now and if they cannot fix it. they are going to install an aftermarket brake controller. There are several bullitins from chevrolet stating they do not have a fix for the problem. Real pain in the butt when you haul as much as I do, specially in the snow with no brakes.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-12 10:15 AM (#97337 - in reply to #93815)

Expert

Have you tried changing your truck plug?? I know if mine gets water in there it acts stupid, soon as it dries out it works OK.  Chadsalt has written a real good review on this new, improved, better than chocolate milk, trailer plug.. Looks like a real good connector.... Read all about it, HERE>>>   http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=10564

http://www.ezconnector.com/best-trailer-plug.html

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-01-15 11:49 AM (#97566 - in reply to #97337)

Veteran

it is in the shop now. They said the the right front wheel speed sensor is bad causing the traiiler brakes to disconnect. They are going to replace the sensor and I will know if its fixed on my next trip. Hope it aint in the snow

Edited by Rostrenga 2009-01-15 11:50 AM
murrayh
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-04-09 5:27 PM (#118653 - in reply to #97331)

New User

Hi just wondering if you managed to get your brakes fixed and what was the problem.
My GM integrated trailer brakes have failed on my 2008 Silverado 3500HD. Does GM have a bulliten out regarding this problem?

Thanks
Murray
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-04-09 8:08 PM (#118655 - in reply to #93815)

Regular

I have a 2009.  My brake system failed once, and I could not reset it.  I took it to the dealer.  They knew right away that moisture was probably getting behind the plug on the truck.  It made sense as it only did it after a hard rain and a wet road.  They sealed the back of the plug, and put a big hunk of grease inside the fitting.  That was almost a year ago, and haven't had a problem.  Don't know if that helps you or not?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)