'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
a bear encounter

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-25 7:27 PM
12 replies, 5520 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-11-30 11:14 PM (#95528)
Subject: a bear encounter

Extreme Veteran

It was such a beautiful day today, my daughter and I decided to take a long ride. Less than 10 minutes out on the trail near our barn, we crossed a bridge where my horse always spooks but was a little worse today. I thought nothing of it since he can be an idiot, but a minute later my daugher said something; I was a little ahead and couldn't hear her... she then said "GO MOM! " Now, her horse is old and she does not like to go fast so I thought it was someone coming up behind us trying to hurry us along this narrow stretch of trail. I turned around to see who was coming up so fast behind us that we'd have to hurry and then heard branches breaking coming toward us, fast, and then a roar that I have never heard before. My eyes got really big when I heard that and saw Tracy's face... I dug my spurs in and yelled "yeeeaaaaaw" and my horse took off like a shot, bucking - thanks buddy. We flat out ran for about 1/4 mile then stopped to listen and heard nothing. My adrenaline was really high! My daughter said she had heard it grunting and was trying to tell me when it charged toward us. I never saw it nor did I want to, but it scared the daylights out of me. I could not believe that a black bear in an area like that with homes close by would be so aggressive. I did see a big cub last August a short distance from there so maybe we got between the cub and mama; I never saw the bear, just heard if roaring loud and running at us like a bulldozer coming through the woods. The roaring was like out of a movie. Once we stopped I noticed my daughter's horse lost an easy boot (mine). No way was I going back right then to look for that boot. We decided to keep going and look for the boot on the way back. I was afraid to ride back by there but figured the bear most likely would have moved away by then. I never saw that easy boot again - the bear probably has it - hahaha. We discussed a plan of what to do if the bear was there on the return trip and decided we may have to find another way back to the barn, but it was gone...we made it back safe and sound without any more encounters.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-11-30 11:56 PM (#95529 - in reply to #95528)
Subject: RE: a bear encounter

Expert

That easy boot is/was probally a bear toy.  I'm glad you weren't hurt.  There have been quite a few bears in the news lately.  Not around here, but up in Abq. 

It's usually just me and my girls when we go out riding.  I told my girls that if something ever scared them to not wait for me, I'd catch up and figure out what was wrong on the way.

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-12-01 6:14 AM (#95531 - in reply to #95528)

Extreme Veteran

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!

I'm glad y'all escaped without injury!  Hubby and I went to the Smokies a few years ago and he was disappointed that we didn't see any bear.  We heard one and saw some bear poo.  Personally. that was good enough for me!

Around here, the scariest things we run into are snakes and the occasional bobcat.  I think if I had been with you, I'd be needing a clean pair of britches!

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-12-01 8:23 PM (#95567 - in reply to #95531)

Extreme Veteran

You did the absolute worse thing by running. Bears will chase you if you run. Stop turn and face them and make yourself look as large as possible and make a lot of noise. I have come up on them many times in the Smokies and just stop and let them move out of the way. However I feel much more safer on a horse than when hiking. I got this info from my son-in-laws brother who is TWRA (TN. wildlife resource agen) in Loudin County which ajions the Smokies.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2008-12-02 2:10 AM (#95576 - in reply to #95528)

Extreme Veteran

ICE CRM, I was thinking the same thing. You never run from a bear. If you happen to corner one, or come between a sow and her cubs, you retreat slowly, but never do you run from them, great way to be attacked. If they're after you, a horse can not begin to out run a bear. A bear that is not challenged will never attack a larger animal(you and your horse are much larger).
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-12-02 5:37 AM (#95579 - in reply to #95528)

Elite Veteran

Wow  I'm glad that everything turned out good. I didn't know a bear could out run a horse. Where i live the worst thing on the trails are bicycles and in spring snakes. If my horse ever encountered something like that he would be doing an exit stage left.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-12-02 4:39 PM (#95623 - in reply to #95528)

Expert

A quick google shows black bears can run 25-30 mph for short distances.  Horses average gallop at 30 mph and faster breeds such as quarter horses can hit 50 mph.

If bears could outrun horses ( Since horses are faster than most wild life,  also means deer, elk and other wildlife, ) You would see a lot more bears feasting on meat and less of them eating insect larva and berries. Like most predators, they have a fast burst speed, but it doesn't last very long. So typically your horse can out run a bear.

Now running from a bear does often trigger it's chase instinct.  So if you don't want to see who is fastest. you are better off backing away vs running away.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2008-12-02 6:16 PM (#95631 - in reply to #95579)

Elite Veteran

my mare wouldn't wait for me to decide! She either leave me sitting in midair, or drop dead and evaporate on the spot!
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2008-12-02 7:06 PM (#95635 - in reply to #95528)

Extreme Veteran

30 miles an hour????  Is that in the back of the truck LOL! 

My freakin Boo Boo can barely get over 22 on a clear sunny day with a stiff breeze behind him.  Too funny!

But seriously I am glad no one got hurt.  Mommy Bears are bad news.

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-12-03 11:22 PM (#95710 - in reply to #95567)

Extreme Veteran

As for running from the bear, we were just walking along enjoying the sunshine slowly and the bear charged us for what seemed to be no reason.   There was no way I was going to wait for it to burst out onto the trail and really spook the horses.  My horse would never stand his ground and face a bear that was charging I can assure you of that.  It was so mad, roaring like the dickens, we just wanted to get the he!! out of there.  I cannot seriously imagine standing your ground when a bear is charging and roaring like that.  I keep hearing that sound in my head - it was very intimidating.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-12-04 11:47 PM (#95769 - in reply to #95710)

Expert

I'd have run too.  Years ago I was driving home from work and came up on a friend riding her QH barrel horse and "raced" her.  The horse hit 56 mph for a short time and held 43 for quite a while.  I don't know exactly how far since I was watching the speedometer not the odometer.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-12-05 5:56 PM (#95822 - in reply to #95769)

Extreme Veteran

In some place like the Smokies I would put my money on the BearThey know short cuts between the trails and the trails are laid out for the easiest climb and decent. the bear will simply cut across. When ours encounter them they just look at them like they would a big Dog. REALLY BIG DOG!!! No they don't pay any more attention to them than they would a deer.
spotsrider
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-25 7:27 PM (#98221 - in reply to #95528)

Hello:

We have bears around here too.  One of my friends asked while on a trail ride..."What should we do if we see a bear"?  I have never come across one while riding my horse...  I explained the following story to my friend and told her that I thought it would be best to back the horse up and yell.  I too have often wondered how my horse would re-act to a bear's presence.

Several years ago in northern MN (Ely) my husband (ex now) and I along with our kids visited a bear sanctuary.  There were at least 10 bears there and a mom bear with her 4 cubs across the creek.  She stayed well away from the people and there were no problems. 

The other bears were just milling around looking for apple cores and peanuts that people had brought for them.

There were knowledgable volunteers there that showed us and explained to us what to do if one of the bears came close.  At that time the people and bears were allowed to be in the direct vicinity together.

The volunteers explained to stand up straight, wave your arms up and extended to length, and back-up in tight circles.

I had walked to the back of my car to get something for our-then baby daughter.  I didn't know it, but one of the bears saw me walk to the car.  People would bring apples in their trunks and the bears knew this (I didn't until that day).  Anyway, as I was bent over the inside of my trunk a bear showed up right beside me.  I didn't have any food for it.  I too thought I was going to need to "change my shorts"!

I did what the volunteers told me to do and the bear just walked away.

I believe that you and your daughter must have been too close to her cub(s).  She was just wanting you a good distance away.  It's hard to know when they're around, except they smell to high-heavens! 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)