'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Portable Panels for camping

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-05-28 6:21 AM
11 replies, 12946 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-02-22 8:16 AM (#99867)
Subject: Portable Panels for camping

Veteran

I am in the market for some portable corral  panels. I have found models that are PVC and wonder if they 'hold up' over time. They are way cheaper than the metal versions that cost upwards of $600! So, anyone use the PVC version and if so, which ones? Also would like your thoughts on the metal ones as well.

THanks!

Azgrulla

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-02-22 11:56 AM (#99887 - in reply to #99867)
Subject: RE: Portable Panels for camping

Expert

The metal ones will absolutely last longer.

If your horses respect the panels and don't lean against them, they work.  It's basically the same material as a vinyl fence.  The 3 rail vinyl fence I put up around my horse corral 15 years ago, still looks good.  I've had a couple of broken rails/post from the horses kicking or rubing on them. But for the most part it has held up well.

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-02-22 2:33 PM (#99897 - in reply to #99867)

Extreme Veteran

My Buddy made PVC panels for traveling he loves them.  The long pin that hold them together also drives into the ground as an anchor.  Similar to the round pen configuration but with one pin not two.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-02-22 6:23 PM (#99912 - in reply to #99867)

Extreme Veteran

I made my own PVC panels out of three inch pvc pipe and fittings.  Easy to do.  I used heavy duty zip ties to tie the corners and tent stakes to anchor the corner posts to the ground.  They still work well after 12 years or so.  They are light weight and never rust or need paint, although if you want them to match your rig, you can paint them with the new paint for plastics.

Marla

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-02-22 6:37 PM (#99915 - in reply to #99912)

Elite Veteran

Marla, when you have time can you post some pics? We been contemplating portable panels for quite awhile, but the cost for the Carri-lite so high and we can't mount metal ones to our LQ since we have drops on head and tail and mangers too. So I need something that can fit in the bed of the truck. And I'm not a fan of hot wire tape.

ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-02-23 11:10 AM (#99983 - in reply to #99867)

Veteran

Hey Marla, can you tell us how you made them so, we could make our own. I mean, I can make my own, no man involved. My sweet husband is a cow man and he doesn't have much to do with my horse hobby.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-02-23 12:04 PM (#99991 - in reply to #99867)

Extreme Veteran

You first measure to determine what size panels you need or want.  Your local hardware or home improvement store will have the pipe and the fittings.  When you draw out your plan, figure two elbow fittings for the top rail, two tee  fittings for the bottom rail, and two tee fittings for the middle rail.  I found that with the three inch pipe and seven foot rails I didn't need a center brace.  Use the PVC cleaner on each joint and glue the pipe and the fittings together, starting one one side and leaving the end upright for last.  This will give you wiggle room when fitting the pieces.  Not a bad idea to cut and dry-fit the pieces before glueing.  I left the bottom rail 14 inches from the ground, the top rail at 48 inches, and split the difference for the middle rail.  I drilled a 1 inch hole at two inches from the bottom of the leg, which catches the pin on a tarp stake.  I drive the stake into the ground next to the post, catching the hole in the post with the pin.  I then use heavy duty zip ties to tie the panels to each other.  When I am ready to take down the corral, I just  use wire cutters to cut the ties and a crow bar the lift the tent stakes.  The zip ties are very inexpensive.  I buy them in lots of 1000 for 7 dollars.  It helps if you can lay the pipe out on a flat surface, like a patio or a garage floor to make sure that the panels go together straight.

Marla

PS I used three inch pipe because I got it for almost nothing at an auction. You might find that smaller pipe would do just as well. Check it out when you are shopping for pipe.

Edited by Marla 2009-02-23 5:04 PM
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-02-25 11:26 AM (#100138 - in reply to #99867)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Marla! I might try this with lighter(smaller) pipes. I have an aluminum portable corral (which I love!), but sure can't afford another one. This might do the trick for when my daughter comes on camping trips with me.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-02-26 8:38 AM (#100194 - in reply to #99867)

Elite Veteran

( i erased my earlier comment because when I reread your post, my comment/question was uneccessary)

I would like to see some pics too when you get the chance... I've been wanting panels also, but did not want to fork out the $$$ for either the collapsible kind  or the metal kind.. plus finding a place to carry them on my little trailer is a problem.. If the Pvc ones are light enough to be easily lifted by one person, maybe I can figure something out.

Edited by ridingarocky 2009-02-26 12:54 PM
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-02-26 5:51 PM (#100240 - in reply to #100194)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2009-02-26 7:38 AM

( i erased my earlier comment because when I reread your post, my comment/question was uneccessary)

I would like to see some pics too when you get the chance... I've been wanting panels also, but did not want to fork out the $$$ for either the collapsible kind  or the metal kind.. plus finding a place to carry them on my little trailer is a problem.. If the Pvc ones are light enough to be easily lifted by one person, maybe I can figure something out.

They are very light and easily managed by one person.  They ride quite comfortably on top of the trailer, which is where mine wind up.  My panels are currently about 100 miles from here.  A friend is using them for the time being, but if she can figure out how to send me the pics, maybe I can figure out how to send them on to you.

Marla 

Soleil Farm
Reg. May 2015
Posted 2015-05-28 6:18 AM (#163558 - in reply to #99897)

New User

Can you please explain how he made the long pins that hold the corral panels together? And drive how far into the ground?
Soleil Farm
Reg. May 2015
Posted 2015-05-28 6:21 AM (#163559 - in reply to #99991)

New User

Maria, can you please explain on how you connect the post on the panel to the tent stake? What do your tent stakes look like? What do the pins look like? Thank you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)