'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
DIY EXISS WEEKENDER LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-04-07 4:24 PM
12 replies, 11758 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-03 10:26 AM (#102692)
Subject: DIY EXISS WEEKENDER LQ

Expert

Last year an acquaintance purchased a trailer like ours, but with an unfinished dressing room instead of a weekender LQ. He bought his trailer, with specific intentions of installing a matching LQ as ours. He brought his trailer to my place to be worked on. I have a boat shop full of power tools, he has knees and a body that all works. He had previously removed all the carpeting and interior fittings from the dressing room; we had a clean slate from which to start.

While he was marking the floor off into one foot wide increments, I started ripping 2 x 12 pressure treated planks into 1 1/2" x 7/8" strips. These were cut to encompass the perimeter of the floor, and sleepers were added to the markings that were laid out. In front of the door where everyone takes the first step onto the floor, we added extra supports. When everything was fitted, we took some photos, marked each piece and removed the lot.

Using a random orbit sander with a hook and loop pad, we affixed a green Scotch Brite sheet. Following all of the floor markings, we cleaned and slightly abraded the aluminum flooring, wherever the wood would be placed. Then those areas were cleaned with a solvent. Using a polyurethane construction adhesive, we applied glue to each piece of wood, pressing and fitting it into place, and then removed it. When the adhesive dried to the touch, it was again placed into position. This action was repeated until all the wood sleepers were installed.

Cutting 1" blue rigid into strips that fit between the sleepers, the insulation was pressed into place. The insulation was proud of the sleepers by 1/8", enough to ensure that the flooring would be in constant contact with the top of the insulation. Using 1/2" pressure treated plywood, we cut and installed the flooring using 1" deck screws into the sleepers at about 1' intervals. We started at about 8:30 and just before noon, this was done. The result was a rock solid floor that exhibited no movement or noise.

A hole was cut into the aluminum bulkhead, and a potable water fitting was installed, with an interior attached hose that would eventually lead to the boot box. A second hole was drilled and a grommet was added for the installation of a battery cable. An external battery tray and propane bracket were bolted to the bulkhead, using stainless bolts and fender washers epoxied to the interior face.

I then started ripping stock for the knee wall. This measured 1 1/8" x 1 1/2" and was standard #2 construction pine/spruce. The vertical studs each had two dados cut into the face against the wall to act as wiring chases. They were placed 12" OC. This was assembled free standing using 2 1/2" decking screws, and placed against the bulkhead for a final fit.

The flooring for the bunk area was then constructed similarly to the entrance floor. Again I used common construction grade sleepers cut to 1" x 1 1/2"  using 16" centers, they over hang the knee wall by 1 1/8" and the ends were flush to the inside edge. The aluminum flooring was sanded and cleaned in the same manner, the sleepers were glued into place, 1" rigid insulation was installed.

The forward faces of the knee wall had glue applied and was set into place. It was screwed onto the flooring, and the bunk sleepers were affixed to the top plate of the wall. 1/2" plywood sheathing was then screwed into place, completing the bunk area flooring. The interior face of the knee wall was covered with Brazilian Cherry manufactured flooring. It is 3' wide, 5/8" T&G, prefinished, strong and quite rigid. By purposely leaving a gap between the insulation and surface of the wall studs, the wood flooring was easily fastened with glue and pin nails. 

Marking out the areas on the entrance floor where the bathroom bulkhead and cabinetry will be, we installed manufactured wood flooring. This was easily accomplished, while using our trailer as a template for all the measurements. This particular style of flooring has a snap joint which involves no fasteners to hold one plank to another. A 15# felt paper was stapled to the plywood, the flooring was laid out and pin nailed around its perimeter, which was about 3/8" short of the final measurements. The edges were continuously caulked.

This year the roof will soon have three large holes. Typical Exiss, right? One for an a/c, an escape vent over the bunk, and a vent, light, fan assembly in the bathroom. We should soon start the interior bulkhead and cabinetry, There are no plans for holding tanks or a shower in the bathroom. A cowboy shower in the first stall will be installed, and a camper commode with an integral above floor holding tank is being sourced. A hot water system, fridge, sink and wiring will be next.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-04-03 10:54 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-04-03 12:16 PM (#102697 - in reply to #102692)
Subject: RE: DIY EXISS WEEKENDER LQ

Veteran

This sounds like a great project and it is really cool that you are helping your friend:) I'd really love a step by step/pictures of these aspects: A cowboy shower in the first stall will be installed, A hot water system, sink and wiring will be next.
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-04-03 12:36 PM (#102699 - in reply to #102692)

Veteran

Gard, I have a couple questions for you--Does the the glue hold the wood strips to the floor, and knee wall, without any screws?Is the blue board the same as the pink board?
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-04-03 3:17 PM (#102705 - in reply to #102692)

Veteran

Gard,

I just read over it again and took some notes. I feel like a dork doing my LQ this way but I am a bit of a perfectionist and I want it to be perfect.

Questions--

How long will it take the glue to dry before I can go on to the next steps? Is there a certain glue I should get or is it just any type of construction grade polyurethane?

The 1" deck screws you used to attach the 1/2 " plywood to the sleepers, do they need to be SS?

Edited by AQHA 123 2009-04-03 3:19 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-03 4:10 PM (#102709 - in reply to #102699)

Expert

Originally written by AQHA 123 on 2009-04-03 12:36 PM

Gard, I have a couple questions for you--Does the the glue hold the wood strips to the floor, and knee wall, without any screws?Is the blue board the same as the pink board?

The knee wall's bottom and top plates are screwed to the bunk and main entry floors. The front face is also glued to the bulkhead.

Other than colour, I don't know of any performance differences among the various rigid foam insulations. The bead types vary a bit.

The sleepers are glued down with no mechanical fasteners.

Gard

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-03 4:17 PM (#102711 - in reply to #102705)

Expert

Originally written by AQHA 123 on 2009-04-03 3:17 PM

Gard, I just read over it again and took some notes.  Questions-- How long will it take the glue to dry before I can go on to the next steps?

It tacks up in about 5 minutes. Once you have every thing cut and ready to install, you can do many at a time in an assembly line process.

Is there a certain glue I should get or is it just any type of construction grade polyurethane?

I use Liquid Nails polyurethane construction adhesive. There are probably other comparable brands/products.

The 1" deck screws you used to attach the 1/2 " plywood to the sleepers, do they need to be SS?

No, the deck screws are made for pressure treated materials and exterior applications.

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-04-03 4:33 PM (#102713 - in reply to #102692)

Veteran

On the glue do you just run a thick bead or do you do enough that it comes out both sides when you push it down?I don't have any solvent, whats the easiest kind to use? Spray on?After I screw the plywood down should I throw several 50 pound sacks of grain in there to weigh it down while the glue sets up more?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-03 4:45 PM (#102715 - in reply to #102713)

Expert

Originally written by AQHA 123 on 2009-04-03 4:33 PM

On the glue do you just run a thick bead or do you do enough that it comes out both sides when you push it down?

Run enough of a bead, so that when you remove the wood, you have a continuous strip of glue showing.

I don't have any solvent, whats the easiest kind to use?

I use acetone for almost everything; paint thinning, clean up etc. I have an almost full 55 gal drum left over from my fiber glassing days.

After I screw the plywood down should I throw several 50 pound sacks of grain in there to weigh it down while the glue sets up more?

Sure wouldn't hurt.

sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-04-07 12:17 PM (#102899 - in reply to #102692)

Veteran

I have a 4' shortwall that I will be converting and I was wondering which direction to run the floor sleepers. Should they run from the entrance door side to the long wall side or from the bulkhead wall side to the slant wall side? Since I will be installing laminate hardwood flooring over 5/8" plywood , does it matter structurally which direction I run the hardwood strips in relation to the direction of the sleepers underneath ? and which direction would the hardwood floor strips look better aesthetically as you look in from the door ?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-07 2:34 PM (#102907 - in reply to #102692)

Expert

We ran the sleepers from trailer side to side, parallel to the knee wall, 12" OC. We purchased 2" x 12" x 8' and ripped them to the various heights, with very little waste. By using tighter spacing, were able to use lighter plywood flooring.

Once your plywood is installed you can run your flooring in any direction. Take some and put them in place in both directions or even on the diagonal. Then you can choose which you like better. I've seen installations of both directions, and each looks good.

Gard

sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-04-07 3:17 PM (#102910 - in reply to #102692)

Veteran

Gard, by cutting the sleepers 1/8 " thinner or shallower than the actual insulation, would'nt the foam eventually compress to the height of the sleepers from walking and create loose screws or loose plywood?

Edited by sidelock 2009-04-07 3:19 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-07 3:32 PM (#102911 - in reply to #102910)

Expert

Originally written by sidelock on 2009-04-07 3:17 PM

Gard, by cutting the sleepers 1/8 " thinner or shallower than the actual insulation, would'nt the foam eventually compress to the height of the sleepers from walking and create loose screws or loose plywood?

That's what we anticipated when I cut the sleepers a little less high than the insulation. When we were done cutting the plywood and walking around on it, the insulation had crushed 1/8" to the height of the sleepers. When we installed the screws, the plywood was drawn tight to the sleepers with no gaps, and with the insulation helping to support the plywood. It resulted in a very solid floor with no squeaking or noise.

Gard

sidelock
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-04-07 4:24 PM (#102916 - in reply to #102692)

Veteran

Thanks for clearifying that Gard !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'