'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cattle Drive and horse vacations in general

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-30 7:42 AM
24 replies, 7206 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-10-18 9:24 AM (#112022)
Subject: Cattle Drive and horse vacations in general

Hi Everyone, I would like to know if anyone has done a cattle drive, even though that I am an english rider by heart it has always been a dream of mine to go and ride with the "cowboys".  I would like to know if anyone has done any of this, where did you go? what did you think of it?.  Any info would be great, hey even some pictures.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-10-18 1:32 PM (#112027 - in reply to #112022)
Subject: RE: Cattle Drive and horse vacations in general

Extreme Veteran

I went to a working cattle ranch in New Mexico several years ago. It was without a doubt the most fun I have ever had on horseback. We did not do a "cattle drive" per se. However, we did drive a small herd into a holding pen and separated heifers and calves for branding and castration. We also moved cattle from one grazing area to another. The name of the ranch was Double E in Gila, New Mexico. The scenery was wonderful. The folks that own the ranch are great folks. They offer as much riding, working cattle as you want. Their website is www.doubleeranch.com. It might not be what you are looking for but I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to visit a real working cattle ranch. I am not related to this outfit, just had a really really good time during my visit.

Edited by lesliemal 2009-10-19 6:34 PM
flummoxed
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-10-18 4:46 PM (#112029 - in reply to #112022)

Visit Gene Kilgore's http://www.ranchweb.com/ and then run out and buy his Ranch Vacations book. Gene has been the expert on this stuff for the past 15 years -- and he's probably the nicest guy you would ever meet.
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-10-19 8:10 AM (#112045 - in reply to #112027)

Regular

The Double E ranch is about a 2 hr drive from me. The ranch offers lots of different package deals from all girls week, cowboy mounted shooting clinics, too actually helping round up cattle. They are a working ranch. We were just up in that area yesterday scouting for deer. With it being so dry this year, the deer, elk, etc are coming down from the higher elevations in search for water. Hey, if you do decide to go to the Double E contact me I'd love to meet.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-10-19 4:01 PM (#112095 - in reply to #112022)

Extreme Veteran

Daughter and I spent a week at TX ranch in Lovell Wy/Billings Mt. This was back about 10 years ago. This is a working cattle/guest ranch. Accomodations were primitive. Horses were good. Food was very good. This was very hard work with 10-12 hr days in the saddle over some rough terrain in all kinds of weather. Montana and Wyoming in May can have some very "changeable" weather. We are both fairly accomplished riders and I spent several weeks prior to the trip increasing my saddle time, but it was still pretty hard work. Nobody forced you to ride all day every day, but it would have been hard to chicken out! We always wanted to go back, but never quite made it. For me, it was probably a once in a lifetime experience. I wouldn't have traded it for anything. Not sure these places will allow you to bring your own horses, but I would definitely bring my own saddle if I went again.
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-10-20 12:52 PM (#112137 - in reply to #112022)

Veteran

Yes, I have been on a cattle drive. We drove about 400 head to new grazing pasture in Wyoming. I have had the opportunity to do horseback riding worldwide, and I can tell you that a cattle drive is now my last choice of an equestrian activity. We left the corrals at 9:00a.m., and arrived back at 8:30p.m. It was hot, dusty, and the bellow of hundreds of mama cows for their babies as we stopped periodically to allow "mothering up" is a loud sound not soon to be forgotten! In the morning, before we started, a hand at the ranch said that before we were done, we would be throwing rocks at the cattle and wanting to bite off the testicles of the calves. I laughed...joke was on me! About 6:00p.m., as the herd was descending down a hill and making a sharp right turn into the pasture (finally) a group of us was to make sure they made the turn. We got off our exhausted horses, made a pile of stones in front of us, and sat down to rest our weary bones. We hurled the stones at cattle that didn't want to make the turn...we were too tired to stand. There was no lunch break, we ran out of water, etc., etc. And yes, if one got close enough, I would have bitten off the testicles if I hadn't been so tired!

One of my favorite rides is with Trail Riders of the Canadian Rockies. You ride their horses into some of the prettiest scenery on earth. It is reasonably priced, with good food, and sleeping in tepees. If you put the name in Yahoo the sight will come up. I seldom like to visit the same place twice, but have done this ride twice, and will do it again. They rotate areas of Banff for the ride each year.

Brenda

Edited by heritagelanefarm 2009-10-20 12:54 PM
maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-10-21 6:52 PM (#112209 - in reply to #112022)

thanks everyone, I know I want to do something horsey now, I think that a cattle drive mightbe too much now, and now I am thinking of going somewhere else in the big old world now.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-10-21 9:35 PM (#112218 - in reply to #112022)

Expert

Working cows is hard work. Cows walk so much slower than horses. Especially the type of horses I like to ride. It drives me crazy following behind a bunch of cows. Now cutting horses in an arena are a different story. But that not what a cattle drive is about. I'd much prefer to just ride down the trail and enjoy the scenery.  

Let me suggest you check out some of the great rides around Utah's Canyon country.  Excellent scenery, There are several guides and outfitters that offer fully catered rides and you can ride at reasonible speeds and wth out all the bawling and dust of moma cows. 

Can't recommend any since I've never hired or ridden with one. I can recommend the scenry. But I do see them when I'm out doing my own thing. They seem to take good care of their clients.

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-10-21 9:55 PM
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-10-22 8:56 AM (#112229 - in reply to #112027)

Extreme Veteran

The most scenic and best trails we've found anywhere is in the Gallatin National Forest of SW Montana. The area along the Taylor Fork river has many camping sites. It is all primitive, and the price is right, free. The trails are well marked and well maintained.

Here's a link to some pictures and info from our trip there in the summer of 2009.
http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=121...

Edited by bbsmfg3 2009-10-22 8:59 AM
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-10-22 12:16 PM (#112236 - in reply to #112137)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by heritagelanefarm on 2009-10-20 12:52 PM

One of my favorite rides is with Trail Riders of the Canadian Rockies. You ride their horses into some of the prettiest scenery on earth. It is reasonably priced, with good food, and sleeping in tepees. If you put the name in Yahoo the sight will come up. I seldom like to visit the same place twice, but have done this ride twice, and will do it again. They rotate areas of Banff for the ride each year.

Brenda

Here is a link:  http://www.trail-rides.ca/Howdy.html

Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-10-22 1:00 PM (#112239 - in reply to #112022)

Veteran

Wow, I'm surprised by the number of you that don't enjoy work, especially if you consider sitting in saddle is work.  I've never met a person who complained about moving cows.  I hope to keep it that way.

We've been to http://www.sweetgrassranch.com/ three times.  Haven't been to a nicer place, but that's just one man's opinion.

We moved cows for two days in June, and June is moody in Montana.  Snow in the mornings, 70 at lunch.  Cows & calves ARE loud.  That's what they do.  The bulls are mean, too.  Not for petting on.  But isn't that what it's all about?

This place only moves cows up valley in the spring and down valley in the fall.  Generally not hot or dusty that time of year.  Excellent food, great people, and nice accomodations.  If you want a tv and a tennis court, look elsewhere.

sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-10-22 4:05 PM (#112252 - in reply to #112022)

Extreme Veteran

My Girlfriend & I Went to Wyoming last June and helped on the Ranch. We trailered the horses as far as we could & then rode to 350 cows/calves.  Rounded them up and drove them I don't know how many miles back. They had 8 outriders & 6 good dogs.  It was a Education that money can't buy, to say the least.  Started early, rode all day. I even got to help brand calves.  We must have been good help, cause they invited us out again this year.  We just couldn't get our time off work to go at the time they needed us.  We took our our saddles & rode their horses.  I'd do it again.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-10-22 11:13 PM (#112263 - in reply to #112022)

Expert

I've spent too many days, doctoring moma cows, throwing calves on the ground, casterating them, dehorning them, vaccinating, tagging the ears, and  branding them.  After working the calves I come home feeling pretty beat up. A couple of head butts from a 300 lb 10 month old calf can leave bruises. I hurt, I'm very dirty covered in calf blood. Nope that's not what I need to do for a vacation.

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-10-23 6:37 AM (#112266 - in reply to #112022)

Veteran

On my "bucket list" is the Owens Valley Horse Drive, near Yosemite. It is a fast paced, exhilarating ride.....more to my liking. Also have great evening entertainment.

We are going to Mongolia in the summer of 2010 to ride with the last of the nomadic horsemen on earth! Very excited! Will sleep on the grassland steppes in Gers (traditional huts) and 2 person tents. Riding the small, tough native horse with the Buryat Soldier Saddle should be a very unique experience! 

Brenda

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-10-23 7:44 AM (#112269 - in reply to #112266)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by heritagelanefarm on 2009-10-23 6:37 AM

On my "bucket list" is the Owens Valley Horse Drive, near Yosemite. It is a fast paced, exhilarating ride.....more to my liking. Also have great evening entertainment.

We are going to Mongolia in the summer of 2010 to ride with the last of the nomadic horsemen on earth! Very excited! Will sleep on the grassland steppes in Gers (traditional huts) and 2 person tents. Riding the small, tough native horse with the Buryat Soldier Saddle should be a very unique experience! 

Brenda

Please post lots of pictures when you get back.  I have looked into a similar ride and think it would be a wonderful experience.

maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-10-23 7:32 PM (#112301 - in reply to #112022)

Wow Brenda, good for youfor going there, there is not many people who can say they have done that. I am perhaps thinking about going to Iceland or Ireland, and Italy looked good.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-10-24 1:49 PM (#112327 - in reply to #112022)

Expert

My wife, daughter and family friend went on a week long ride in Ireland this summer. They had a good time and met some nice people. Next year their planned trip will be in Whales. If you're interested in their intermarries, I can furnish some more info.

Gard

sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-10-24 4:07 PM (#112333 - in reply to #112327)

Veteran

bbsmfg3 , I really like your idea of a vacation.  It looked like something I would enjoy.  Don't think a cattle drive is my idea of a vacation either.  I wouldn't care to ride an outfitters horse but when I go on a horsey vacation I want to ride all day,  let some else do all the cooking and enjoy the ride ,  not work.
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-10-25 7:43 AM (#112351 - in reply to #112301)

Veteran

I have done the "Northern Exposure" ride in Iceland. We were 80 miles south of the Artic Circle. Despite the rain and cold, we had a wonderful time! We were at the tolt 90% of the time. As a result, we changed horses throughout the day. The herd followed along. Nights were spent in community centers and a mountain hut. One of the most memorable experiences for me was leading our horses single file over a long, old lava flow. We had to walk in front of our horses in case of air pockets under the lava that may give way!

Brenda

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-10-27 7:23 AM (#112464 - in reply to #112022)

Elite Veteran

I've done multiple riding holidays around the world (Ireland, Hungary, Portugal, Australia, Canada, and in the US Wyoming (8), Utah, Arizona, &  Missouri.). I did one Cattle Drive in Wyoming and it is without a doubt at the bottom of the list.  

You move cattle very slowly so they don't lose weight, they poop & pee like crazy, lots of flies, etc. 

I much prefer a moving riding holiday where you can see a nice variety of terrain, mixture of speeds, climbing mountains, etc 

maeclara
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-10-28 6:51 PM (#112527 - in reply to #112022)

dunior, what was one of your best rides, I am beginning to think a cattle drive is at the bottom of my list.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-10-29 8:13 AM (#112542 - in reply to #112351)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by heritagelanefarm on 2009-10-25 7:43 AM

I have done the "Northern Exposure" ride in Iceland. We were 80 miles south of the Artic Circle. Despite the rain and cold, we had a wonderful time! We were at the tolt 90% of the time. As a result, we changed horses throughout the day. The herd followed along. Nights were spent in community centers and a mountain hut. One of the most memorable experiences for me was leading our horses single file over a long, old lava flow. We had to walk in front of our horses in case of air pockets under the lava that may give way!

Brenda

Brenda,

This is the trip that my husband and I are considering.  We ride gaited horses so the idea of riding the Icelandic horse is very appealing to us.  Do you have any pictures you can share?  Would you go back again?

Jacci

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-10-29 11:09 AM (#112548 - in reply to #112022)

Elite Veteran

I used to go on a trip in the early spring and then a couple in the summer so the time you go on the trip helps narrow down the list.

The European trips are usually hotel accomodations whille many of the US ones are outdoor camping.  Many people won't camp in a tent, so again that can shorten your list.

Connemara Ireland rides are wonderful!  And my first ride was the coastal ride with Willie Leahy.  You need to be in shape for posting and lots of riding.  The horses, food, and accomodations were wonderful, the weather wasn't.  It always rains in Ireland and is cold, so you gotta be prepared.  I wasn't (I live in south Fla) and had to borrow gloves, wool sweater and bought a sweathshirt.  I rode in long sleeves, sweater, sweatshirt, vest and raincoat most of the time!  I went in early May '87. But it was a fantastic trip.

Hungary - excellent horses, but more structured ride.  You weren't allowed to pass the leader and rode 2 x 2 at all times.  Walking and cantering, very little trotting.  Food wasn't as good but that was in '88 when Russia was still in charge.  we rode and explored castles, vineyards, forests, etc great riding and great weather went in Sept/Oct '88

Portugal - rode wonderful highly trained dressage stallions out on the trail.  Had to ride in a specific order since they were all stallions, but only one was bad mannered.  I don't remember his name in Portugese, but we decided it must be "little shit!"  Great riding, scenery, 2 hour lunches out on the trail were our favorite meals.  this was the Sintra ride, did it 3/94

Utah Anazazi ride May '90 was my all time favorite ride.  Loved my Arab gelding, incrediable scenery, lots of climbing, great food, outdoor camping in a tent. 

Wyoming - I ended up working for them a couple summers helping to guide, help with the guests, etc so I did quite a few rides here.  I would go for 3 weeks and get the ride in exchange for working part of the time.  I love wyoming.  outdoor camping, rode their young horses, packing in the mountains, etc

Missouri - was real nice, all gaited horses, went in Oct so the changing of the leaves, etc   I rode a Missouri mule for several of the days and fell in love witht him

it's really important to like the horse you get as it can make or break the ride.  They usually have some extras or you can switch with another rider.  In Ireland I started out on a 15 hand Connemara/TB who rooted (pulled the reins really hard) and I personally hate that.  I switched with a girl whose horse at home did that and she didn't mind it.  The TB she had been riding was 16.3 (she was only 5') and Charlie was a dream to ride - so the switch was a great one for both of us.

Be prepared with the clothing for the climate, bring pommel packs or cantle bags to carry camera, water, lunch, gloves, etc  don't over pack as you might be lugging your duffle around depending on the trip.  Be prepared for the amount of riding and do NOT overstate your riding ability.  On the Hungary ride, we had one lady who was only an advanced beginner (couldn't canter) and she almost fell off the first time we cantered.  She ended up riding in the van most of the time or it caused us to have to slow down quite a bit on the days she rode with us.  

Riding holidays can be a fantastic way to see a place and anytime I went on one I also would schedule days to see the city I was in. 

Gail

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-10-30 6:29 AM (#112598 - in reply to #112542)

Veteran

The Iceland Ride is one I would heartily recommend, as it is very unique, and there is no place in the world to have the experience except Iceland. If you go to Hidden Trails Horse Vacations website, and click on Europe, then Iceland, then Northern Exposure, you can find 41 pictures of the ride under GALLERY. You fly to Reykjavik, then take a commuter plane to Kelfavik. Would I do it again? Yes, if I had my bucket list of rides complete. So, if I live long enough, I will probably go back. Right now, there are about 10 rides ahead of Iceland.

Brenda

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-10-30 7:42 AM (#112602 - in reply to #112022)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks very much, Brenda, for the information.  I will check out the website.  I have been looking at Equitours so I am glad to have other options.

Happy Trails!

Jacci

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World