'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Foundered Jenny

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-08 12:02 AM
2 replies, 3279 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-01-05 8:01 PM (#114928)
Subject: Foundered Jenny

Extreme Veteran

I recently aquired a jenny for a companion for my gelding. She has been seriously foundered in the past. In years past bute was the painkiller of choice for this, but since it has been 20 plus years since I have dealt with founder I am wondering if there are more effective treatments. I have had her feet trimmed so that she stands a little more upright than I would normally have done. She has a lot of prominent growth rings on her hooves. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't care if she ever works again, but I would like her to be free of pain.

Marla

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2010-01-05 9:49 PM (#114932 - in reply to #114928)
Subject: RE: Foundered Jenny

Extreme Veteran

Have her evaluated by a nutrientalist to make sure she is not taking in too much starch. Talked to a guy at the feed store the other day. Been battling founder with his gelding for over 5 years, about ready to give up. He switched him to a low starch feed and 6 months later he is riding him like nobodies business.
lovesred
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-08 12:02 AM (#115019 - in reply to #114928)
Subject: RE: Foundered Jenny

Handling founder is a balancing act between a good/low starch diet ( I really like Easy Minerals by Patriot), a good routine trimming from a knowledgable farrier (I kept my gelding barefoot, remember a lot of the times a foundered foot will grow faster and require trimming every 4 - 6 weeks at least!), and a veterinarian that will cooperate and help you, not just tell you that the horse will never be sound and to give up. 

My gelding foundered when he was only 4 years old, I had him until he was almost 10.  Yesterday was the 4 year anniversary of me putting him down.  Founder is very tricky, sometimes you can't win.  He did best when he was out 24/7, on soft ground, and being excersized regularly.  I also like MVP's Senior flex supplement.  It has yucca and devils claw in it to help manage pain as well as Biotin for hoof growth. 

Hope this helped! 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)