'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Why would someone buy a trl too small for the horse??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-22 3:30 PM
7 replies, 4628 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

3day
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-02-21 5:00 PM (#116861)
Subject: Why would someone buy a trl too small for the horse??

Why would someone buy a horse trailer too small for the horse? A boarder I know has a small SUV for towing and a Boeckmann BP trailer. Trl similar to Brenderup. The horse is a large WB type who is cleary claustrophobic going thru barn and stall doors, then is put in the situation of having to go into and ride in a small trl towed by a small SUV. It is an accident waiting to happen. As they pulled away, you could hear the horse banging and kicking down the driveway. I sure felt sorry for the horse. Of course they would not know to buy the trl to fit the horse, not to fit the tow vehicle.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-02-21 5:13 PM (#116865 - in reply to #116861)
Subject: RE: Why would someone buy a trl too small for the horse??

Extreme Veteran

I had a friend buy a trailer years ago, when slant loads were just becoming popular. When she got it home, she tried to put her 16 hand QH on it and found out the only way for him to fit was if he had his head and neck out the drop window at the head. She had the choice to buy him a helmet and goggles or return the trailer within 72 hours under a PA law that allows you to do so. She ended up buying a straight load.

Some people don't want to drive a vehicle that is any bigger or uses more fuel than they absolutely have to. My biggest concern is the safety of both my horses and myself. I have a car for commuting and an F350 for towing. If I had to have only 1 vehicle, it would be the truck. The crew cab is a pain to park in town or at the grocery store but for me it's part of being able to go places to ride and get my horses there safely.  

People like you mentioned also start having a horse with "a loading problem" and can't undrstand why. They never cease to amaze me!

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-02-21 10:09 PM (#116874 - in reply to #116861)

Expert

you should tell them the danger they are putting there horse in, maybe there could trade the trailer in for a bigger one
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-21 10:40 PM (#116876 - in reply to #116861)

Expert

Many first time buyers don't know what they have, nor what they need. They are sometimes at the mercy of unscrupulous sales people, willing to sell what ever they have to make a buck. It is often only by trail and error, do they learn of the proper equipment, and appropriate handling. Without learned advice, many mistakes happen and large amounts of money are squandered.

That's the advantage of forums such as this. Many of the members have graduated from being a first time owner, and can advise proper methods before mistakes are made.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-02-22 8:10 AM (#116883 - in reply to #116861)

Elite Veteran

I'm in somewhat the same situation and it isn't a height issue. My mare fit in the trailer fine until she took a growth spurt about 4, now she's really too long to fit comfortably. Have towed many taller, but shorter backed horses, with no issue. Unfortunately, new trailer money is just not in the budget. Of course, neither is horse show money so it's not really an issue right now!

Edited by terri s 2010-02-22 8:10 AM
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-22 10:26 AM (#116886 - in reply to #116861)

Regular

I think there are several reasons why people buy a trailer that's too small. 1) The most common reason is - a lack of knowledge. I have a friend with a Bockman, a cute trailer and plenty tall, but not horribly long. I know that the saleswoman for the Bockmans and Brenderups claim that their straight load trailers are longer than the average slant, there therefore will fit a bigger horse better than most slants. I'm not convinced - when I look at the length of their stall it certainly doesn't appear longer than my Featherlite's slant. And with my Featherlite i can leave my mare untied, so she is free to move her head in the position that suits her best - often she puts her head down and eats hay off the ground, which shortens her and makes her more comfortable. With the Bockmans you only have a bar in front, so you couldn't leave a horse loose and they're stuck. So with the lack of information out there most people make wrong choices even when they try hard to make things work. 2)Some people are on a strict budget, and use what they have. So you'll see people shoving horses into a tiny two horse trailer because that's what they have, and it will just have to do. But this lady paid a fair amount for her Bockman, so you know it wasn't to save money.

I would suspect that about all you can do is mention you heard the horse scrambling. Simply say what you observed, and then leave it alone. Sometimes people will change, but normally it isn't because they feel pressured, normally its because they got educated to the problem.

Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2010-02-22 12:32 PM (#116894 - in reply to #116861)

Veteran

It is a shame,  but a lot of time for financial reasons people will try to make due with what they have.  I think anyone would be better off to pay someone to haul them in a safe trailer then to try to cut corners and buy something under powered.  Most of the truck salesmen are woefully uneducated about hauling horses and should NOT be consulted.  Check the truck capacity for your self on line,  and then double check by asking on this forum.

3day
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-02-22 3:30 PM (#116907 - in reply to #116861)

So true...I talked with this person a while back and offered to trl her horse to clinics, etc. and she thought I was saying that she could USE my trl. For one, I would not lend my trl out, and second, my trl is a GN. How would she pull that with a SUV??? She is also becoming known to barn a barn jumper, as she is leaving the barn I am at to go somewhere else, she has only been here 2 months. They also do have the money to spend, seeing and knowing what the board costs and lessons are in this area.

Definently uneducated, and will learn the hard way...and at the horses expense and safety. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who has mentioned these concerns to them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)