'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Littered Horse Trails, Elk Rock - IA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-04 8:35 PM
13 replies, 6491 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2010-10-12 10:00 AM (#125675)
Subject: Littered Horse Trails, Elk Rock - IA

Veteran

It was our first time at Elk Rock / Red Rock Lake South of Newton, IA (10/22/2010). The ranger was nice, as well at the park. It was flatter than we were use too but we enjoyed our ride and had a perfect camping place in the non-electric area. We rode the 13 miles of trail the first day and on the second we rode the 5 mile trail with the intention of picking up the trash we saw the day before. We picked up 4 plastic grocery bags of cans and plastic bottles littered along the trail. We smashed the cans to take up less room but that is a lot of trash on the horse trails in just 5 miles. We had picked up cans on the main trail head and later doubled back to find a few more cans thrown along the same trail. It's sad to know the majority if not all came from riders.

Edited by Charmer88 2010-10-12 10:02 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-12 10:23 AM (#125676 - in reply to #125675)
Subject: RE: Littered Horse Trails, Elk Rock - IA

Extreme Veteran

Wow, I hate to hear that.  But I'd like to give you a big pat on the back for taking the initiative to do what you could to tidy things up. 

I hope you reported this to the park manager.

Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2010-10-12 10:52 AM (#125679 - in reply to #125675)

Veteran

Well we enjoyed doing it and working with the horses but I didn't report it for fear of more trails being closed.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-10-12 3:14 PM (#125684 - in reply to #125675)

Expert

I think you need to report it.  Most Forest Service, BLM State parks etc, want to know how much donated labor goes into a trail. The more use and donated labor, the better chance of the trail staying open. It shows the govt agencies that the public is concerned and willing to work to keep it open.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2010-10-12 4:43 PM (#125687 - in reply to #125675)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Painted Horse.My wife Linda and I have done this many times. The last time was at Montana De Oro State park, in California. The discarded water bottles, soda cans, and even BEER bottles and cans, left along the trail do NOT make for an enjoyable ride. The thing is, if other riders/good samaritans don't pick them up, they could be there for many years!! These trails are ONLY accessible by horse or mtn bike/hiking, so no one can blame the general public or hoodlums.I personally am dismayed by the BEER containers, as THAT belongs back at the camps and trailers. I shudder to think about someone soused to the gills riding around the steep trails and falling into trouble. I am NOT a tee totaller, and do appreciate a cold one after a ride. But to take beer on the trails, which are rather advanced ones, would only shake the suds up!We also keep a plastic bag in our saddlebag/firstaid pack for trash. When other hikers and riders see you doing the pickup, they get in the mood as well!! ( Two birds one stone?)Steve, on the pretty gray Arab

Edited by siseley 2010-10-12 4:44 PM
Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2010-10-12 7:09 PM (#125699 - in reply to #125675)

Veteran

Thanks for your input. We'll give them a call and let them know.

I hope your next ride is litter free.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-10-13 5:31 AM (#125714 - in reply to #125675)

Expert

At a lot of the trail heads here in my area. The Forest Service keeps a sign in log book.  It serves a couple of functions.

1st  If a person is reported missing. The search parties have an idea of where to start. If a hiker/rider signed the log book and noted they were hiking/riding into Lake ABC, at least the searchers have an area to search. Too often many of us change our minds at the last minute and go some where different than we told family back at home. You show up at a trail head, and there is a bad log across the trail  or snow bank blocking access, so you take the other fork.

2nd the Forest Service uses these logs to determine funding for trail maintenance.  If nobody uses the trail, why spend money to maintain it?  If there are lots of folks using a trail, and volunteer hours being put forth by the public to help maintain, then the forest service is more likely to use their resources to maintain it. Hikers and bikers almost always sign in, horsemen don't always want to get off their horses to go sign a logbook. You have a fresh horse thats eager to go, You just got into the saddle. etc etc.

I don't see many pop cans along the trail. I see the occassional water bottle, usually half full, that I suspect fell out of a bouncy horses bottle holder unbeknowst to the rider. But what bugs me is to see the beer cans along the trail. It seems some riders bring a 6pack along for a ride and throw the empties behind a bush thinking nobody will notice. Maybe it's impaired judgement.

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-10-13 5:46 PM (#125733 - in reply to #125675)

Extreme Veteran

I occassionally enjoy an adult beverage around the campfire, but never-never-never in the saddle!!!!  Personally, I feel sorry for folks who think they can't have a good ride without a beer in their hand.  We all know the reasons, so I won't get on my soapbox.  But really it is no different than getting behind the wheel of a car or a boat.  Except this 'vehicle' has a mind of it's own.

The group I ride with is very good about keeping their trash picked up and even picking up after others.  As a smoker, I won't even throw down my butts.  I just hang on to them until they are completely cooled and then put them in my pocket.  Of course this also has its perils.....  Last spring we were riding down the trail when I heard the gal behind me say, "I smell something burning."  A few seconds later she exclaimed, "Oh SH!T it's ME!"  She had failed to be sure the butt was competely cooled before stuffing it in her pocket!  LOL

millironk
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-10-13 5:47 PM (#125734 - in reply to #125675)

Regular

I agree with Charmer. Reporting this will just give the Iowa DNR another reason to close the trails. Best left unreported.
Iowamulerider
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2010-10-18 3:50 PM (#125952 - in reply to #125675)

New User

This is why we have a decal on the back of our horse trailer that states:

NO TRAILRIDER

ever sat taller in the saddle

than when he bent down to pick up

someone else's trash from the trail

It makes me cringe every time I pick up others junk! Kudos to you and everyone else for the clean up efforts!!!

bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-10-19 5:50 PM (#126033 - in reply to #125675)

Regular

Where might another mule rider find such a decal as the one you proudly display on your trailer?  Very nice.

I'm also amazed and dismayed by how someone could throw trash out on the trails and campgrounds and roads and in lakes and streams.  Picked up lots of trash ourselves.

Mary B in Texas

Iowamulerider
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2010-10-20 2:08 PM (#126065 - in reply to #126033)

New User

Mary,

We had it made at a decal shop in Madrid Iowa.  If you want I can send you a picture of it or get you the info on the shop.

Just let me know!!

bloodtrail
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-10-20 5:51 PM (#126071 - in reply to #125675)

Regular

Iowa mule rider,

Thank you for the reply.  Would you be able to send a pic of it to my work email address?  I think I might be able to find a place in my podunk small town that could make one.  I sure would appreciate it.

septicinspector@fanninco.net

Thanks again,

Mary B in Texas

chenchen21621
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-04 8:35 PM (#126676 - in reply to #125675)

New User

Most Forest Service, BLM State parks etc, want to know how much donated labor goes into a trail.china travelThe more use and donated labor, the better chance of the trail staying open. It shows the govt agencies that the public is concerned and willing to work to keep it open.china tours
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)