'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Double d trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-06-17 12:11 AM
13 replies, 24019 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-07-19 6:35 PM (#135843)
Subject: Double d trailers

Elite Veteran

Has anyone had, or do they still have or use a double d trailer with the z-frame (zinc) technology? What did or do you think about it? After 2 years of looking for the "just right" aluminum trailer to fall in my lap, I have been thinking about the merits of a steel trailer with the zinc method that is supposed to be great..(ie: not having to compromise or add desired features or jump on a trailer in order to get it before the other guy does.) I like the idea of being able to order an affordable trailer with all of the features that I want, in the size that suits me WHEN I AM READY!!!.. living on the coast, I am understandably nervous about purchasing anything steel. This will most probably be my one and only LQ.. I am a casual trailrider/camper and it isn't financially feasible to put out a huge $$ outlay for occasional use. Brad, I know that you are on here sometimes and I've pored over your website time and again and watched the videos, so I've heard what you have to say (no disrespect intended.. of course you believe in your product).. BUT... I want to hear what the Average Joes say.. I would appreciate any and all comments that you may have. THANKS!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2011-07-20 9:55 AM (#135869 - in reply to #135843)
Subject: RE: Double d trailers

Elite Veteran

I can't give you a review as an owner. I had never seen the Double D until a couple of weeks ago. The first thing that caught my attention was the tack compartment. The whole thing swings out and even has an access door from the horse side. We were camped near a family of 4, (two teenage daughters no less). It was their first extended trip with the trailer. I was impressed with the structure and construction of the trailer, especially when you consider the price.

I went on their web site to learn more, and was suprised that they almost immediatly started basically trash talking aluminum trailers. I'm not an engineer, but am a little skeptical of claims that a steel trailer can be built lighter and stronger than an aluminum.

Again, for the price, I was impressed. Would I trade my Elite for one? Doubtful.

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2011-07-20 9:58 AM (#135870 - in reply to #135869)

Veteran

http://forum.nchorsenews.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51628&SearchTerms=double,d

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-07-20 11:21 AM (#135871 - in reply to #135843)

Elite Veteran

Hmmm..... no one else has any opinions? I am not a commercial for or on a campaign against. I am just frustrated at trying to find the exact trailer that meets my needs. Some are the right brand and the right price, maybe a little old, but without an escape door, or a walk-thru, or some may have those 2 but no LQ, or a crappy, home-made LQ that LOOKS it... I cannot see that having a LQ put in would be very budget-friendly, I am not handy enough and my husband could care less ... I would end up compromising again.. Is there no one from the eastern states that have these?BTW thank you DDman. I clicked on the link.
nclabtech
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-07-28 9:37 PM (#136182 - in reply to #135843)

I had a Double D Trailer. It was well-built and pulled great. Mine did not have the swing out rear tack, but a side tack compartment and a large dressing room (no LQ). The only complaint I had was that it was a red trailer and the paint began fading quickly. I had no trouble selling it to a civil / revolutionary war re-enactment guy who didn't care about the fading paint. It was a great starter trailer. I have since moved up to an all aluminum with Sierra LQ trailer which works much better for me.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2011-08-01 1:23 PM (#136316 - in reply to #136182)

Veteran

Red fades more quickly than other colors (there is a crazy scientific explanation for this, haha).  Several years ago, we painted all trailers using a Valspar automotive paint.  Nowadays, we use a baked on finish that is more durable.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct Gooseneck Horse Trailers

darkesong77
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-08-01 3:51 PM (#136326 - in reply to #135843)

I've had a double d for almost 10 years now. I absolutely love my trailer. It pulls well, the horses ride comfortably and arrive looking fresh. It has held up very well over the years. The only rust issue I have had at all is a small spot on the side where some corral panels I was hauling rubbed the paint. The swing out tack in the back is wonderful and extremely convenient for loading/unloading. I've hauled many thousands of miles with a diesel f-250. It's the 3h deluxe with a 4' short wall dressing room that I added an overnight package to.
badweather
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2011-08-01 8:35 PM (#136334 - in reply to #135843)

Regular

I had a small 2 horse gn about 10 years ago. It was a good trailer. Only reason we sold it was because we wanted a living quarter trailer. Been to their factory and saw the trailers in different phases of building. "Good trailers.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2011-08-02 11:28 PM (#136408 - in reply to #135843)

Elite Veteran

Thanks all, for your opinions.. I just wanted to hear what you had to say.. I never see these for sale as used.. I don't need anything huge, but like a few bells and whistles.. Thanks again.

Edited by ridingarocky 2011-08-02 11:32 PM
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2011-08-04 1:15 PM (#136456 - in reply to #135843)

Extreme Veteran

I camp with a family who bought one of these trailers about 5yrs ago. I asked them this year if they were still happy with theirs and they said a resounding "Yes!!". They do have a bit of rust, but we live on the coast, so that's to be expected after several yrs. They love the back tack. I'm jealous.

DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2011-08-08 12:47 PM (#136551 - in reply to #136456)

Veteran

Our 2006 Double D horse trailers were built very stout, with galvaneal sheeting and regular steel tubing. We did a pretty good job of sealing and painting our older horse trailers.

Nowadays, we build the frame in a similar manner, but use Z-frame. Its a inline coating process that coats the inside and outside of the tubing, applying a layer of zinc, a layer of chromate and a layer of clear coating to the steel. The entire trailer frame is built using Zframe and the sheeting is a painted galvanized.

We learned a lot from the old way of building horse trailers, and in 2009, we redesigned our manufacturing process to incorporate Zframe and SafeBump roof into our trailers. Also, we have made our SafeTack tackaround lighter and easier to use vs the 2006 model.

Bartley Heath
Bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct 3H Gooseneck Horse Trailers and $ave

SweetWillyB
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-08-08 2:37 PM (#136557 - in reply to #135843)

Steel will always be steel...All Aluminum will always be better. Shadow Trailer builds a great all aluminum at very competitive prices...
woodwarj
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2014-07-24 9:11 AM (#160129 - in reply to #135843)

New User

I purchased a new three horse gooseneck last year from Double D after extensive research. I looked at one that has been in my town for that past 5 years - they bought theirs brand new as it was the one and only traider that they would be purchasing. I love how easily it pulls! The horses are comfortable as I had 6 inches added to the first two stalls. I did not get living quarters but the dressing room can easily be slept in by at least 2! (done this it was great!) Unfortunately I am selling it today as I have had to sell my horses. If you are interested please contact me! I am in Enfield, NH. pondgirl5013@gmail.com
Ashley Ladd
Reg. Jun 2016
Posted 2016-06-17 12:11 AM (#167345 - in reply to #135843)

New User

Thank you So much for writing this. This is totally me and my problem. I have been trying to find one as well. I don't have a huge budget and this will be my one and only. I want to do it right the first time. I just wish I lived closer to the factory. Thank you again for posting this and for all the replies. It was helpful. Still looking.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)