'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
keep plugged in or not

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-10-22 10:05 PM
2 replies, 4057 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cajunintn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2011-10-22 3:39 PM (#138431)
Subject: keep plugged in or not

New User

I have a sundowner, I need to know  should the trailer stay plugged in at barn all the time when I'm not using and if you do, do you keep the main power switch ON or Off while it is just plugged in at barn.  I think I'm having converter trouble!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-10-22 7:41 PM (#138432 - in reply to #138431)
Subject: RE: keep plugged in or not

Expert

Originally written by cajunintn on 2011-10-22 3:39 PM

I have a sundowner, I need to know  should the trailer stay plugged in at barn all the time when I'm not using and if you do, do you keep the main power switch ON or Off while it is just plugged in at barn.  I think I'm having converter trouble!!!

If you keep it plugged in all the time you need to have a monitor controlling the charge on your batteries...you also need to have surge protection for your trailer against a lightning strike on your building's electrical system...
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-10-22 10:05 PM (#138434 - in reply to #138431)
Subject: RE: keep plugged in or not

Expert

I don't leave our LQ's "plugged in". The batteries easily last from week to week and during the winter off months, I use aux battery tenders to maintain the batteries. I don't like to leave electrical systems within the trailer powered, when they are not being used. Most electrical components have a MTBF, "mean time before failure" and to me, it doesn't make sense to use them up whilst doing nothing.

Older trailers have converters that usually do a poor job of battery maintenance, and if left on, they can over cook a battery and destroy it. Newer converters feature multiple step charging systems, that can both charge and maintain a battery without any damage.

Jim Bob is our resident SD expert, and it's possible that if you inform him of your specific trailer and LQ installer, he might be able to assist you in learning what type of converter you have.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)