'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for lean to ideas, auto waters, hay feeders

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-10-16 6:39 AM
17 replies, 11483 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2012-01-12 2:09 PM (#139999)
Subject: Looking for lean to ideas, auto waters, hay feeders

Extreme Veteran

Hi All,

We're getting ready to build a new pole barn this spring and planning a 36x40 with a 16" lean to.

The 16x40 will be my horse area and looking for ideas on how others have set theirs up.  My horses are pasture babies so they'll have free access to this area but I do plan to put in a 12x16 stall just in case I need to keep one in or use for storage.

On the lean to, what would be a good height? Would 8 - 9ft be enough?  I've been reading 11-12 would be better.  I'm trying to decide on how much to enclose.  The lean to will be facing South so I plan to put sides on the East and West side and some to the front.  Any ideas how much? Thinking 12-14 on both sides.

I would like to build a hay feeder on the North wall and put in an automatic waterer.  I plan to use rock, lime and mats for flooring. 

Any patterns or ideas building a hay feeder?  What would be a good automatic waterer?

Any ideas pros or cons appreciated!  Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
henrynva
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2012-01-12 4:01 PM (#140000 - in reply to #139999)
Subject: RE: Looking for lean to ideas, auto waters, hay feeders

Regular

I built a 20'x30' run-in shed, enclosed on three sides, that is 12' high in order to be able to use the tractor loader to put a stored in the dry round bale in a hay ring that sits on a concrete pad. That shed faces South and gets good winter sun. Of course, the horses waste some hay but that ends up being bedding that absorbs urine. Hay is abundant. The horses can decide when they want to come in from the weather. Later a built a shed on one side that is 10'x20' where the salt is keep. That addition has turned out to be a good retreat when one horse wants some "quiet time". When we have a dry winter spell I use the tractor to clean out the shed. I also have a 12'x12' rubber matted stall in a barn for sick or new horses as well as a grooming and tack area. Keeping horses in stalls most of the time is unnatural and takes away their fun of running with the herd and our enjoyment of watching them. 
AJH
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2012-01-13 12:24 PM (#140011 - in reply to #139999)

We put 12' high lean to with a sloping up ceiling. Good height for riding underneath w/o ducking. I wouldn;t go lower cause our horses have reared near the edge and had plenty of clerance. the 16' out will be a nice size, but the bigger the better, especially with several horses. We have our stalls located right off the lean-to so our horses can come and go as they please.

If I was going to place a hay feeder in the area I would look at this one http://www.klenepipe.com/store.asp?pid=20998&catid=19824 or http://www.barnworld.com/sa/p/Round_Bale_Hay_Feeder.htm even if I just placed square bales in it. Maybe you can build one similar.

Can't help you on the waterer, ours like to drink 2-4 at a time so we just use a trough

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2012-01-13 1:20 PM (#140015 - in reply to #139999)

Elite Veteran

10 foot high opening or higher is best otherwise you run the risk of a frisky horse rearing up and whacking it's head either on the joist or metal roof.

For the lean-to area, you will need to either reinforce the metal wall with plywood behind the metal or place plywood within the lean-to on all walls. You do not want a horse to kick through the metal.... bad news for sure!

As far as feeding inside that can get tricky depending on how many horses will share the space. If you think about it, the horses will be facing south for wind and wet weather protection, but then need to face the North wall to eat. May have manure get into the hay feeders. If you are just feeding two horses that get along this may work by just hanging two hay racks on opposite ends.

If more than two horses, a free standing hay feeder or two a few feet away from the shelter will still provide protection from the wind and allow for the pecking order shuffle.

I would like to have a Ritchie Waterer like my neighbors have, but it is not in my budget, so we still use stock tank and decier for winter. They are nice to have though.

How many horses are you going to have in the shelter? If several and you have a front end loader on tractor, it is easier to clean out the shelter by scraping the manure out than trying to hand clean rubber mats. I have two 12x36x12 free standing pasture lean-tos and the tractor method works a lot better than trying to hand clean... I used to do this until the light-bulb went on in my head to use the tractor.  I don't have mats inside, just a deep layer of screenings that pack hard after a month of use. Just a thought.

Edited by ponytammy 2012-01-13 1:24 PM
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-01-14 6:56 AM (#140020 - in reply to #139999)

Veteran

I have a nelson water, I would not deal with that company again, they sent the unit without instructions. I called and asked if the one ledger sized page of 1/2 addvertising and 1/2 pictures was the instructions and was told "the unit was shipped complete there is nothing more that comes with it". my contractor figured it out but the first two winters it froze every time it got below zero, so I sent in pictures and they told me it was hooked up wrong - that on page 26 of the manual bla, bla, bla and I had a fit saying I called and said it didn't come with any insturctions   ---  I had to call a different contractor and all he did was add a 250 watt heat tape inside of it and charged $300, I called Nelson and said I think they should reimburse the cost of the fix because they didn't send instructions even when I called and asked but they basicly laughed at me.  I got the unit because it was 500 watt ...now it works and is very easy to clean but I just wouldn't ever reccomend the Nelson company.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2012-01-14 7:15 AM (#140021 - in reply to #139999)

Veteran

I built a wall in my pasture in the shape of a "T" 8' high and 24' x 32' -  The auto water is inside the spot where the top of the T meets.   No matter what way the wind is coming usually one side or the other you can put hay down without it all blowing away.  It is very easy to clean out in the spring with tractor and my two horses leave way more poo around the wall and on the outsides of the shed than they do inside their shed. Does that must mean they like to stand by a wind break better than inside? 
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2012-01-14 11:20 AM (#140022 - in reply to #139999)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the ideas!  I have three horses and that will be the most I'll ever have since we only have 7 acres.  Hope to get down to two someday but when they're all good horses.....one can't pick.

Never thought about the height for usage with an end loader.  We have a small tractor now that doesn't have one but plan to get a bigger tractor someday that will.  The old barn I've been using has lower ceilings and smaller space, more set up for sheep. With a bigger area, there may be more horse play and rearing so the height just went up.

AJH those are some dream feeders, nice.  I feed small bales and don't have a big enough tractor to haul big bales.  There's definately a pecking order with my group and they always eat in the same order everyday.  I have an outdoor feeder and also feed indoors.  I usually feed where they want, most of the time they go to the outside feeder, two on one side, one on the other.  If it's really cold and windy, they'll walk inside if not already there.  When I feed on the inside they each have their own feed trough area and always in the same order. That's true about the manure in the trough facing south, it already happens.

I do plan on lining the horse area with plywood and maybe add polymax sheets over that.  If I have enough room, I may put a feeder back outside as well as inside.  Where I feed now is where the lean to will be and I'm limited on space because of a hillside on the backside. If the horses have a preference, they do seem to prefer to be outside.  I once had a big fern tree that was the horses favorite place to be until it got cut down for a duck blind, I said noooo that was my horses favorite tree.  Even the last couple of days with it in the low teens and it snowing with the wind blowing from the west, I've notice them standing on the far eastside of the barn standing outside.

The Amish are building the barn so I'll ask them for some ideas on the feeders.  I'd like to have it similar where each horse can have their own space.  I went to a couple different barns to look at their set ups and one had where the Amish built theirs and on the end of the hay trough they built salt block boxes.

The automactic water may be just a dream for now but I'd like to price them anyway. I'll probably end up using my bathtubs, one on the inside and one on the outside.  Someday....

Thanks all!

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2012-01-16 11:21 AM (#140069 - in reply to #139999)

Extreme Veteran

One suggestion I have on a lean-to is keep the same roof pitch as that on the main part of the building. The main reason is to keep snow sliding off the roof. But, something to think about is that if you require, say, 10 feet of clearance at the outside, and the roof pitch is, say, 3/12, that means at least a 14-foot sidewall on the main building. And the steeper the roof pitch, the taller the main building must be. One question you could ask yourself is why you want the horse area to be in a lean-to, and not a portion within a larger main structure. Another thing to consider is snow and ice building up on the eave side of the structure. Entrances to pole barns seem to be most useful on gable ends.

After installing a Ritchie waterer this past fall, I definitely recommend the idea of an automatic waterer. Personally, I would go with Ritchie again. Ritchie is based in Iowa. Carefully plan the location with factors such as wind, snow drifting, snow removal, feeding locations, fencelines, etc, in mind. Ours is in a "common" area that can be shut off or opened up to each of three pastures, independently. It also is positioned so that a short cross-fence could be temporarily installed to further separate two pastures and allow access to animals in both.

Good luck. Have fun.
Jes
Reg. Jul 2015
Posted 2015-07-31 10:36 AM (#164314 - in reply to #140022)
Subject: Looking for lean to and barn ideas,

New User

I heard the Amish build a nice barn at a good price, is this correct? I'm interested in having a barn build for two horses and a lean to built for the horses across the street for the winter time.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2015-07-31 10:45 AM (#164315 - in reply to #164314)
Subject: RE: Looking for lean to and barn ideas,

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Jes on 2015-07-31 10:36 AM

I heard the Amish build a nice barn at a good price, is this correct?

You'll probably have to ask them in person. I'm guessing very few Amish frequent this board. 48

If you don't have any Amish people within a few miles of where you want to build a barn, it probably won't matter, anyway.
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2015-08-04 4:58 AM (#164352 - in reply to #139999)

Veteran

Sorry to learn the previous post was not happy with their Nelson waterer. I have 2, and could not be happier! One has been in service for 11 years, the other 13. I have recently replaced the thermostats. Not because they failed, but because the life expectancy was 10 years, and I did not want a failure in mid-winter. I have a friend whose automatic waterer's thermostat routinely fails at the 3-4 year mark, with fairly large replacement cost. Nelson's stainless steel bowls are a snap to clean.I followed installation instructions to a tee for water line freezing. No problem, even last winter, which was the coldest in my memory. When I call Nelson, I can always talk with a technician, which I appreciate! Yes, they are more expensive than some other brands, but "quality leaves no regrets."
postlewaitee
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2015-08-14 8:11 AM (#164446 - in reply to #139999)

Veteran

automatic waters seem like a god idea, I'd be worried that you wouldn't know if the horse is actually drinking tho. any thoughts on this? if a horse isn't drinking you have no way to know because the water is always full.
thinkfencing
Reg. Feb 2015
Posted 2015-09-25 6:59 AM (#164823 - in reply to #139999)

I completely agree with @postlewaitee
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2015-10-05 10:35 PM (#164973 - in reply to #139999)
Subject: Looking for lean to ideas, auto waters, hay feeder

Veteran

I have nelson waterers, they work great, albeit mine are not heated, but they always work and very rarely overflow, the horses have a hard time taking them apart if you put them together correctly and they are very easy to clean. my favorite feeders are made by a company called noble, it is a great corner feeder that lets the horse eat off the ground and prevents quite a bit of waste. I have to say having auto waterers saves me so much time and water it is hard to believe. I would recommend you plan on more than one stall, one is never enough
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2015-10-07 8:15 PM (#164997 - in reply to #139999)

Expert

I have the Bar Bar A Horse Drinker. My horses use it year round. The waterline and valve are deep in the ground ( mine is 5') So they don't freeze or need any electricity to keep from freezing. In Northern Utah, The ground stays about 52° at the 5 foot deep level. So the horse get 52° water in the winter of the summer.Here is one of my geldings taking a drinkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktRMEMMJlHI
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2015-10-07 8:16 PM (#164998 - in reply to #139999)

Expert

Dang spacinghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktRMEMMJlHI
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2015-10-07 8:17 PM (#164999 - in reply to #139999)

Expert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktRMEMMJlHI
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2015-10-16 6:39 AM (#165105 - in reply to #164999)

Extreme Veteran

I'd looked into automatic waterers in the past. I'd definitely go with the Bar Bar A. Been on my wish list for a very long time. But then my horse got hurt, so had to buy a new one. Grandson moved across the country, so bought bigger trailer so we could follow. Then another horse. Now, a newer truck. The waterer would be the cheapest!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)