'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dressing room door covering? What did you do?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-04-30 11:32 PM
6 replies, 5981 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jordan84
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2012-04-19 2:10 PM (#143216)
Subject: Dressing room door covering? What did you do?

Our dressing room has oak paneling, which I love, but the door doesn't have anything on it and I think it looks out of place. (plus it has holes from where the brush box was removed. It's got a window that I'd like to put a curtain over as well. What has everyone done to jazz up their doors? I was thinking about getting some stick on laminate strips that look like wood, is that a horrible idea?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-04-21 9:40 PM (#143274 - in reply to #143216)
Subject: RE: Dressing room door covering? What did you do?

Expert

There are  few places that sell several species of wood veneers in full door sizes. It's quite easy to match the wood of your LQ, and install the panels to the inside of the door(s). Once they are glued and trimmed in place, they can be lightly sanded and finished to match the trailer's existing trim.
Jordan84
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2012-04-25 9:19 PM (#143388 - in reply to #143274)

Thanks!  So what type of places are you talking about?  RV places? 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-04-25 11:09 PM (#143390 - in reply to #143216)

Expert

If you spend some time on the internet looking up wood veneers, you will find many sources. This is one that I often use:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2213&site=ROCKLER

Jordan84
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2012-04-29 10:57 PM (#143531 - in reply to #143390)

Thank you so much!!!  I couldn't figure out what to search for, I didn't think of "wood veneers". Duh.  That is exactly what I had in mind, thank you.

SuzieQ
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2012-04-30 10:45 AM (#143540 - in reply to #143216)

I have the same situation.  Do you insulate the door before you place the veneer covering?  Or do you glue the veneer directily to the aluminum door?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-04-30 11:32 PM (#143573 - in reply to #143216)

Expert

Many metal doors have a foam core of insulation materials. Hopefully they also have a thermal break in the frame, so that the cold isn't transmitted into the door's interior.

Because most aluminum doors have a paint on the inside layer, it's fairly easy to prepare the surface for an adhesive. With a non woven material like Scotch Brite, lightly abrade the painted surface. Don't try to remove the paint, you just want to make microscopic scratches all over it. Wipe the area with a solvent and rag, removing any finger prints, greases and oils. Turn the rag often, using new areas of it frequently.

The veneer can be glued directly to the door's surface, using contact cements intended for kitchen counter top laminants. Initially cut the veneer slightly over sized, and after it is affixed, trim it to fit. The only tools you need are a wall paper roller, a wide ice scraper or a common squeegee, and a utility knife with a brand new blade. Most veneers come with installation instructions, or they can be found on the internet.

Practise staining and applying your finishes of choice on the scrap veneer pieces, before you attempt to finish the door panel. Veneers are very thin, and you must be careful not to sand through the "money" layers, when the finish is applied and smoothed.

Steel doors are less of a problem to prepare, but they must be absolutely free of any rust before the laminate is installed. Other wise, any moisture will cause the surface metal to rust, and the veneer will be lifted from the door. Any rusty areas should be first sanded, treated with a converter and then a primer applied to the bare metal.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)