'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Replacement glass, is it possible in this type of window?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-22 7:17 PM
4 replies, 7303 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MrSteve
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-20 7:10 PM (#145726)
Subject: Replacement glass, is it possible in this type of window?

Veteran

Hi all... Wondering if it is possible to have glass replaced in this type of window (see attachment)? Would I have to remove the frame? What style is this called, "Bus" style?

I have 8 of these, 4 of this size (in attachment) and 4 double this size, one has cracked glass and they have "to me" ugly green tint. So I was thinking of replacing all the glass if possible... Or should I just bite the bullet and just replace all the windows with a "straight' side design?

If replacing is the goal... Do you have anyone on line that you could point me to that has good prices and good choices to pick from?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2012-07-20 9:27 PM (#145728 - in reply to #145726)
Subject: RE: Replacement glass, is it possible in this type of window?

Extreme Veteran

Replacing the entire window frame won't be cheap and will definitely be a lot of work to modify the structure. As to replacing the glass, I'd start with a local glass company and see what it would cost to have them custom cut.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-07-20 11:59 PM (#145729 - in reply to #145726)

Expert

Any good local glass shop should be able to replace those
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-07-21 6:42 AM (#145731 - in reply to #145726)

Expert

It takes some effort to remove and reinstall the frames, but replacing the glass with a LEXAN or equivalent, polycarbonate panel is quite easy. Using a 1/4" thick material obtained from many sources, it can quickly shaped using common wood working tools, to match the original glass profile.

The material is almost industructable, is scratch resistant, and can also be purchased in varying colours including grey. If you're willing to do the work, an hour or so per window, they can be replaced for a fraction of the cost of a replacement. The new windows wil be more durable than the originals, and indistinguishable from the OEM units.

MrSteve
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-22 7:17 PM (#145761 - in reply to #145726)

Veteran

Thanks for the replies.

Replacing the complete frame wouldn't be a problem for me, back in the day I must have installed a 1000 van windows doing customizing. But yes, lots of money, a easy bet would be about $200 each for a good window, not sure it is worth adding $1500+ in windows.

Good thought on the Lexan. I already had a plan to replace these windows with Lexan (see attachment).

I guess my best bet, find the right thickness of lexan, replacement seals (I am sure they are shot) and give it a try on one of the windows and see what happens. Just going to be work, my frames are riveted in, hope the frame screws come out, we know how that is, steel screws in aluminum... BUT it would be worth a try to hit a glass shop 1st and see what they say, if I can get away with about $75 a window, that wouldn't be so bad.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)