'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Built in generator

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-03-06 5:24 PM
11 replies, 6919 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-02-28 6:47 PM (#150257)
Subject: Built in generator

Veteran

Well, folks, I sure hope y'all can help me out again.  I bought a repo Cimaron on ebay and it has an 8' living quarters built by Horizon Industries (now out of business).  The trailer has a lovely living quarters package, and a built in generator (in the rear tack).  There is a long heavy electric cord like the one I had on all my other trailers, but it is not attached to the trailer.  There is a male end, and a female end.  I can't figure out how I would hook up to a shore line.  There is a 110 outlet on the outside of the trailer, but no "inlet" for the electric anywhere that I could find, and none around the generator.  So, now I KNOW this nice of a living quarters couldn't come with only generator and 12 volt electric, and no shore attachment (could it?)  I must be missing the inlet somewhere.  Have searched high and low.  Can anybody help?

Here is a link to many photos... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USED-2007-CIMARRON-LIVING-QUARTERS-ALL-ALUMINUM-NO-RESERVE-2-HORSE-TRAILER-/181074867307?_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&forcev4exp=true

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2013-02-28 7:38 PM (#150258 - in reply to #150257)
Subject: RE: Built in generator

Veteran

Congrats on your purchase. There has to be an inlet for the cable - either from the generator, or from shore power. Its unlikely they hard wired the generator and eliminated the shore power inlet. More than likely it is at the front of the trailer as the input will be into the LQ. It will more than likely be covered by a white plastic cover/hatch about 3" x 3". I can't zoom far enough in the pictures, but I'd guess it to be on the front wall either by or possibly in one of the boxes. If not, somewhere inside the LQ will be the power panel with all the breakers. The inlet should be right outside the wall. The female end of your cable should have a threaded ring on it to attach it to the inlet under the hatch. If there is not a threaded ring, you may have to unplug from the generator and use the cable to extend from there to shore power. If you can't find it, look how the generator is wired - see if it us plugged in or hard wired.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-02-28 10:49 PM (#150264 - in reply to #150258)

Veteran

Will get on that tomorrow.  I could find no hatch whatsoever on the outside.  I did look over the generator and thought it was hard wired.  Let me have a better look tomorrow.  Many thanks for your input. 
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2013-03-01 10:34 PM (#150292 - in reply to #150257)

Extreme Veteran

Hard to say by the pics, but I would say on the driver's side, just in front of the bottom vent for the frig. looks like a plug??? That would be a logic place.

But, it is possible that they did not want the expense of a dual system. Typically on a dual (shore and generator) system, one must put in an automatic switch that automatically changes the power source as needed. These can add $400-$800 to the costs. Very unusual, but I have seen just generator systems but typically, these don't have a frig. It is fairly easy to change to a dual system.

One way to find out, is to find the breaker/fuse box for the trailer, take the cover off and see if the heavy wire coming in is the same as the wire that is attached to the generator. If you can, follow this from the box and see if it goes into a box the size of a small pillow, this would be the convertor box mentioned above. That box would have two fairly heavy wire sets coming out, one to the generator, one to the shore power plug. If no box, you just have generator power.

Good luck.

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-03-01 10:42 PM (#150293 - in reply to #150257)

Veteran

MANY thanks!  That is excellent info and I will get on it tomorrow.  I also appreciate knowing the cost to add shore power.  I would definitely do it.  There is no furnace, and no awning, so it is possible someone decided to shave costs here.  The trick for me will be finding someone experienced in RV electric to do the job.

On the drivers side there is a water fill and a generator gas tank fill, and the 110 outlet.  That's it.

Spent the day scrubbing and acid washing. Looks like new.  Really a high quality trailer.   Just a few details to work out.

It was generous of you to share your knowledge and I really appreciate it.

Eleanor

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2013-03-01 11:26 PM (#150294 - in reply to #150257)

Expert

Spin Doctor has excellent advice...

On the off chance ...This Might be an example of "nightmare wiring".  Someone using an outlet instead of the proper inlet to connect to utility power.  Is there a cord with a plug on each end?  It's called a "suicide lead" with just cause.

I would strongly suggest you get a trained person to look your trailer over.  He should be able to trace the wiring and find the inlet or correct any problems.

whinneyman
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2013-03-02 7:14 AM (#150297 - in reply to #150257)

There MUST be a way to disconnect the generator from the system before connecting to power from another source. If the generator is feed from outside power it will be destroyed. My thought is there is a male plug somewhere that can be connected to gen power or the shore cord included with your unit. This would eliminate the cost of an automatic transfer switch. The other possibility would be a manual transfer switch, possibly located near the power panel in the LQ. A responsible conversion company should clearly label breakers and switches as to function. Check the generator area for a plug that goes to the generator that could be unplugged and then connected to your shore cord.
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-03-02 9:51 AM (#150299 - in reply to #150297)

Veteran

I will take flashlight and explore further. I will check that junction box and see if there is a transfer switch, too. 

There were heavy duty power cords (with the heavy duty spade ends) in the trailer.  I am sure there is something I have not been able to find, YET.  After riding today, your info will be put to good use.  As for trailer conversion companies -- none anywhere nearby on the East Coast.  Perhaps I should consider moving

Again, I am so thankful that people like you generously share their knowledge.  I plan to pay that forward wherever I can on this site and others.

I will post when I get this mystery figured out.  Thanks again.  Eleanor  50

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2013-03-02 11:14 AM (#150301 - in reply to #150257)

Expert

Are you sure that 110 outlet is not an inlet..? Is it a single recessed male plug on the side of the trailer or is it a female.

You would plug the female end of your cord to this box/receptacle on the side of the trailer and the male end of the cord to the power source....

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-03-02 1:49 PM (#150306 - in reply to #150257)

Veteran

That outlet looks like a standard house female outlet. 
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-03-02 3:36 PM (#150307 - in reply to #150257)

Expert

Pictures please
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2013-03-06 5:24 PM (#150413 - in reply to #150307)

Veteran

Thanks to the help of everyone on this poll, I was able to determine that I DO have a 5100 Series  automatic transfer relay switch, with an inteli power 9100 (whatever that is).  It appears that the folks who had this trailer may have been  feeding 110 power in by way of the standard outdoor duplex receptacle, and an adapter.  I think so, anyway.  There was absolutely no way to disconnect the power from the generator.  There was no other port or connection anywhere on the trailer.  There was an rv style power cord with a 110 adapter on one side.

Because of the freely shared knowledge on this poll, I was able to go to a local trailer dealer and sound like I knew what I was doing!  This will most likely result in me getting a reasonable estimate to install a 30 amp shore hook up for my rig.12

I surely appreciate all the help, and any new advice is welcome too.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)