'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need help wiring my new horse trailer - It's English/UK

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-08-08 12:22 AM
7 replies, 6633 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

green.willow
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-08-04 3:03 PM (#153810)
Subject: Need help wiring my new horse trailer - It's English/UK

I recently bought a new horse trailer. It is made in the United Kingdom. When we bought it, all we had on our pickup was a flat-four wiring system, so the dealer removed the 7 pin system on the trailer and sent us home with a flat four and limited wiring/lights.Since then, I took the pickup to an auto mechanic who wired it up for me, for a seven pin hookup. He said the wiring configuration he used was the "standard".I thought I could do the trailer (re)wiring myself, but have run into problems.First, I have 8 wires, not seven.RedBlackBrownYellowBluePINKGreenWhiteSecond, there is a 7 pin wiring "key" or diagram on the inside of the new trailer. I clearly don't understand it and it looks completely different from the diagrams I have found online.Hoping there is someone on the forum who is willing to take a look at my photos and provide some advice. I will post a photo of the 8 wires and of the wiring diagram that was installed inside the trailer.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2013-08-04 5:52 PM (#153813 - in reply to #153810)
Subject: RE: Need help wiring my new horse trailer - It's English/UK

Veteran

This should help you. http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspxIt looks like the UK has separate left and right tail light wires. Over here they are the same wire / pin on the connector. It just depends if you are using the 7 pin round connector or the 7 pin RV Connector. Don't worry so much the color differences, just get the Function in the proper location.
green.willow
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-08-04 9:12 PM (#153822 - in reply to #153810)

Thanks much. I had already found that one and so it's a start.

I think I've got most of the trailer to vehicle power connections figured --LH tail lights--RH tail lights--L turn signal--R turn signal--Ground--Back up. They should be pretty easy. However, I don't have electric brakes on my trailer, so my blue wire is for something else (likely,license plate lights). I also have a red wire for left and right hand stop lights, with no pin left to each it to.

Admittedly, I know little about the electrical stuff that makes all of this work, but since I have 7 (flat) pins and 8 wires, AND since the dealer connected the black and brown wires (left- and right-hand tail lights) to the same pin when he wired the former system, I'm going to do that, too. With the pin I've freed up (probably the brown wire's spot), I'll attach my left and right hand stop lights (red) wire. Does this sound like it might work?

PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2013-08-05 9:35 AM (#153830 - in reply to #153810)

Veteran

OK a little bit of English guessing here, but the Blue 'rear fog' light wire is probably a backup light. Normally trailers do not have them in the US - but are there any low mounted, clear lights on the rear of the trailer ?When you turn on the rear tail lights, does the license plate light also come on ? - in the US it should be wired that way.Also your LH and RH Flashers should also work as your brake lights wired to a US vehicle.The Red is for a brake light that is separate from the L and R flasher. I believe they maintain a separate brake light so both brake lights remain lit independent from the turn signals. Do you have possibly amber and red lights on both L and R sides ? The amber light probably has either 2 bulbs in it, or a 2 filament bulb for Tail and Turn. If you do, you could wire your trucks 'trailer brake' wire to this (red), and it should do the same, since you don't have trailer brakes.Here is a UK wiring diagram that somewhat confirms this : http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AmfNpg0mHDJf90YmEhNDF4GbvZx4?fr... order to verify all of this wiring, I might suggest you use a 12 volt battery and a couple of jumper wires. Attach the negative battery terminal to the white 'earth' wire (and isolate/tape it so you don't accidently touch another wire to it), then take a wire from the positive battery post and touch it to each of the other wires, one at a time, to see which light(s) are illuminated. If you have to, you can use your truck battery and clip a 12 gauge wire to each battery terminal - just make sure they don't touch each other.As a side question, how did you get a UK built trailer over here (assuming you are in the US) ?
green.willow
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-08-07 7:52 PM (#153890 - in reply to #153810)

OK a little bit of English guessing here, but the Blue 'rear fog' light wire is probably a backup light. It could also be the license plate light but I do know there are backup lights.Normally trailers do not have them in the US - but are there any low mounted, clear lights on the rear of the trailer ? Yes. See attachment.When you turn on the rear tail lights, does the license plate light also come on ? - in the US it should be wired that way. Don't know, since I can't get the wiring correct, but I'll test it with the 12 volt battery.Also your LH and RH Flashers should also work as your brake lights wired to a US vehicle. This is helpful.The Red is for a brake light that is separate from the L and R flasher. I believe they maintain a separate brake light so both brake lights remain lit independent from the turn signals. Do you have possibly amber and red lights on both L and R sides ? I am attaching a photo of a similar trailer. My trailer's top light is red. The middle light is amber and the bottom light is white/clear (this is different from the photo. The amber light probably has either 2 bulbs in it, or a 2 filament bulb for Tail and Turn. If you do, you could wire your trucks 'trailer brake' wire to this (red), and it should do the same, since you don't have trailer brakes. Got it!Here is a UK wiring diagram that somewhat confirms this : http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AmfNpg0mHDJf90YmEhNDF4GbvZx4?fr... order to verify all of this wiring, I might suggest you use a 12 volt battery and a couple of jumper wires. Attach the negative battery terminal to the white 'earth' wire (and isolate/tape it so you don't accidently touch another wire to it), then take a wire from the positive battery post and touch it to each of the other wires, one at a time, to see which light(s) are illuminated. Nice! If you have to, you can use your truck battery and clip a 12 gauge wire to each battery terminal - just make sure they don't touch each other.As a side question, how did you get a UK built trailer over here (assuming you are in the US) ? Yes, I'm in the U.S. I couldn't talk my husband into a larger vehicle than we already have for the limited trailering I will do. So I quizzed cousins in Europe about what horse owners use there since small vehicles are the norm (One of my cousins pulls a travel trailer with a 3 cylinder and her husband is a highly skilled auto mechanic.) They recommended this trailer. Double-checked with the maker of our truck on hauling capacity and they said no problem. Then I lucked out and found a guy down in Texas who imports a very limited few. I have to say, it's a pretty nifty trailer! Don't want to provide identifying details on this forum because people are sometimes more opinionated that educated, but if anyone wants to know more, they can contact me privately.19 11 11 11 9 9
Edited by green.willow 2013-08-07 7:53 PM
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-07 9:56 PM (#153891 - in reply to #153810)

Veteran

I must say this thread has me scratching my head....
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-08-07 10:54 PM (#153894 - in reply to #153810)

Expert

It says this is the way the Brits do it...Is this your WIRING DIAGRAM?

http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/Trailer_wiring.gif

Edited by PaulChristenson 2013-08-07 10:57 PM
Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-08 12:22 AM (#153895 - in reply to #153890)

Veteran

[QUOTE/]... Don't want to provide identifying details on this forum because people are sometimes more opinionated that educated, but if anyone wants to know more, they can contact me privately.19 11 11 11 9 9 If this trailer is a Ifor Williams manufactured in the UK, it is in fact an intetesting build.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)