'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Durability and Reliability of Bison and Lakota

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-04-12 6:54 PM
15 replies, 17476 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lowire
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-04-06 8:24 PM (#158502)
Subject: Durability and Reliability of Bison and Lakota

New User

Looking to buy a living quarter trailer for weekend camping. Not wanting to invest a huge penny but midlevel for my husband and I. Anyone know of the reliabilty of Lakota vs Bison? Slide out or no slide out?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
china doll
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2014-04-07 12:21 PM (#158519 - in reply to #158502)
Subject: RE: Durability and Reliability of Bison and Lakota

Regular

From my limited experience, Bison would be entry level. If you could afford more I would upgrade.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-04-07 2:06 PM (#158520 - in reply to #158502)

Expert

We recently had a posting of several videos, showing severe leakage problems with a new Bison slide equipped trailer. They have been deleted by the moderator. The owner was very unhappy with the problems upon delivery and the subsequent poorly effected repairs.

Edited by gard 2014-04-07 2:07 PM
akinstrailers
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-04-07 4:18 PM (#158523 - in reply to #158502)

Veteran

What the poster/owner Gard is referring to neglected to mention is that Bison is willingly bringing the trailer back to the factory (over 2200 miles) to install a new slideout.  Do they get it right every time?  No, but they stand behind their trailers and have one of the easiest warranty approval processes of all the manufacturers we represent and service.  If anyone would like the full story on the post Gard is referencing feel free to call me on my cell 541-335-9663 or office 541-995-4884.  Thad Akins  
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2014-04-08 7:35 AM (#158538 - in reply to #158502)

Extreme Veteran

Not to change the direction of the thread, but......

I had a structural problem with a higher end LQ that had to go back to the factory for 3 days. They did fix it as required but I still had issues as it "popped" 2 glued skin seams within the next 3 months. Their response was they will send up the glue or I could take it back to them. I traded it out.

My beef is that this manufactuer is 700 miles away. Yes, their warrenty clearly states that trailer must be presented at the factory for warrenty repairs. But, IMO, if the manufacturer is selling these trailers nationwide, they should at least to offer to pay part of the freight and/or lodging in order to get their problem fixed.

I will not ever have one of their trailers again.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2014-04-08 8:29 AM (#158539 - in reply to #158502)

I have sold thousands of trailers of all brands over the years, and I've yet to see any brand that does not occasionally have a problem. I'll also say I've never had a problem getting any manufacturer to handle legitimate defects. In most cases the problem can be handled locally. If it has to go back to the factory for warranty work it should not be at the expense of the owner. In this case, Bison is paying shipping both ways, which is around $7,000. That speaks volumes for their commitment to customer service, and I am very proud to be associated with such an outfit. I know Thad is too. Rest assured no one in the chain of supply would have had this happen, but it did happen, and now it will be fixed regardless of cost or work location. There is at times a desire to extract a pound of flesh rather than seek a solution. I truly hope this is not the case in this instance. I am sure Thad will accommodate the customers in every way possible while the trailer is being repaired. He is a good man and runs a good solid dealership. DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2014-04-08 10:45 AM (#158540 - in reply to #158502)

Very well said Don. Sometimes you bend over backwards to do the right thing and it is not appreciated, as it should be.
rhooton
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2014-04-08 1:42 PM (#158548 - in reply to #158502)

Regular

My wife and I purchased a new 2013 Bison Stratus Express 10 ft SW, 4 horse...we special orderd it so we'd get the options we wanted and desired.  We have pulled it several times to camp in Oklahoma and Missouri.  It will be making a trip to Colorado this July.  Personally, I think it is a great trailer for what we are doing.  I have added cameras in the horse area so when we travel we can monitor the horses comfort and added one for a backup camera as well as added load lights on both sides.  We are very happy with our Bison.
T210DRVR
Reg. Apr 2013
Posted 2014-04-09 1:07 AM (#158570 - in reply to #158502)

T210DRVR
Reg. Apr 2013
Posted 2014-04-09 1:15 AM (#158571 - in reply to #158502)

Originally written by Lowire on 2014-04-06 6:24 PM

Looking to buy a living quarter trailer for weekend camping. Not wanting to invest a huge penny but midlevel for my husband and I. Anyone know of the reliabilty of Lakota vs Bison? Slide out or no slide out?

We bought a new Bison LQ last year from Akins Trailer Sales in Harrisburg, OR. We have been very please with the trailer. We've had only one minor issue with the trailer and Akins took care of it. We also toured the Bison facility in Milford, IN and I was very impressed with the build quality.

I don't think you can buy a better LQ for the money. We had an Exiss trailer before the Bison and I feel the Bison is just as good, or better, than the Exiss.
TUTT26
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-04-11 1:35 PM (#158608 - in reply to #158502)

New User

A quick note from the new owners of BISON Horse Trailers - THOR Industries:

I wanted to let you, and everyone else on this forum know how excited we are to be able to finally bring the long-term financial stability and investment that BISON Coach needed to facilitate their continued growth in the horse trailer market place.   One of the main reasons THOR purchased BISON was because of their long track record of building quality constructed horse trailers at an affordable price.  This company has always built a great product, but it had the misfortune of going through some ownership changes over the years that hindered their ability to produce at a consistent pace, as well as hand-cuffed them to an outdated production facility that was not in line with the quality of product that they were building.  Since purchasing them late in 2013, we have invested significant amounts of money on upgrading their everyday work environment, including new welders and machinery, new computer systems, and basically the tools that they deserved in order to operate their business more efficiently.   The backlog of orders at BISON reflects a pent up demand for our quality-built, affordably priced horse trailers and from a corporate level, we are here to say that the "New BISON" is well on its way to being better than ever.   

TUTT26
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-04-11 1:42 PM (#158610 - in reply to #158502)

New User

CONTINUED:

Sorry - didn't mean to hit "send" there.  :)    

But I guess I just wanted everyone on here to know that you are going to see some significant improvements in both quality and design at BISON, and we are very, very excited about what is happening with both the product and the team that we are building in Milford, Indiana to build these great trailers.   We hope to be in a new, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility this Summer, and start to whittle that huge sales order backlog down significantly.  But I am very encouraged by the response that we have seen already from both dealers and consumers to the changes that they are already seeing and experiencing and I cant' wait for you to see what we are working on for next year's models!   For those of you shopping for a new horse trailer - keep an eye on BISON - we are about to make some big waves in the horse trailer market place and I am confident that you will love what we are working on for you!

Scott Tuttle

PRESIDENT

BISON COACH

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2014-04-12 8:16 AM (#158616 - in reply to #158610)

Elite Veteran

Well that's pretty neat Mr. Tuttle. We hope you the best with all of that.

I do wonder about some of the "design changes". I was looking at new Bisons the other day, and saw some very unusual ways of doing simple things, such as water drains. I asked the dealer, and she said- "That's the way it came in. They didn't tell us of any changes, and when we ask, they say that's just the way it is going to be."

I can't speak to Thor, but a looks like a lot of your dealers are pretty sharp folks, and a touch of 2 way communication might serve us customers well. I've never owned a Bison, but have looked at them for 3 years now as I shopped at more than one dealership, for that perfect trailer. I do know I want a dealer that feels like they know what is going on with the manufacturer they represent.

Again- congrats on the new equipment and facility! And welcome to Horse Trailer World! We look forward to more from you in the future.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2014-04-12 9:26 AM (#158617 - in reply to #158502)

As a longtime, very satisfied, Bison dealer, I can tell you folks that the product has always been good and continues to get better, and communications between my outfit and theirs is second to none!  I have not experienced what the other dealer has.  This brand, in a few short years, has grown to be our number one LQ seller.  It has dominated the national market as well in that time span.  This was decided by the buyer, who perceived these to be the best bang for the buck.  I'll also say if its US built, there is not a bad brand out there. I gladly represent several excellent brands.  My advice to everyone is to find a trailer that fits your needs, and your pocket book, and buy it, regardless of brand.  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.
Color01
Reg. Jul 2013
Posted 2014-04-12 9:33 AM (#158618 - in reply to #158502)

Regular

We ordered from the dealer a bison trailer with LQ...it looked great in the photo's...the day we went to the dealer to sign the contract and see the trailer in real, I was disappointed in the cheap quality of the finishing from the LQ...the same day we signed a contract for a Kiefer with LQ...it was only a few bucks more...but the quality of the LQ was so much better.
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2014-04-12 6:54 PM (#158619 - in reply to #158502)

Veteran

Don,
Very well said and I totally agree. The only thing I would add is, 'Take Care of the Darn thing!'. If you don't, no matter which brand you buy it will fail you. Good, consistent maintenance will keep your LQ trailer working for you for years to come. All of them will have need of some work from time to time. Just bouncing down the road, having them out in the elements and sticking them in places not best suited for them but for your riding will take its toll if you don't stay up on them. just like your car, if you don't take care of it, don't expect it to be on the road at 200,000 miles.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)