'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
News about horse fatality when removable post fails

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-04-22 5:17 PM
12 replies, 7536 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-04-15 1:17 PM (#158663)
Subject: News about horse fatality when removable post fails

Veteran

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-04-15 1:19 PM (#158664 - in reply to #158663)
Subject: RE: News about horse fatality when removable post fails

Veteran

Just saw the article about the horse thrown from the trailer when the back removable center post came out during an accident.  This was on an Exiss with removable tack, but my Sundowner has the same set up as I'm sure many other brands do.  Besides welding the post in place, would there be any other way this could have been kept from happening?

]

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-04-15 1:35 PM (#158665 - in reply to #158663)

Expert

Do you have a link to the story? Did the post truly fail or did the attaching hardware fail? Sure the removeable post was installed properly?

diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-04-15 2:11 PM (#158668 - in reply to #158663)

Veteran

http://eventingnation.com/home/more-details-released-on-fatal-i-75-trailer-accident/ 

Here it is. 

diggerdoo
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2014-04-15 2:13 PM (#158669 - in reply to #158663)

Veteran

Appears that it was the hardware, but still seems a shame that it would happen.  I would be willing to weld mine in and screw the removable tack if it would keep the thing from flying out.  I think my Sundowner had a little better way that it was attached. 

Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2014-04-15 4:38 PM (#158671 - in reply to #158663)

Extreme Veteran

Doors and removable frames are not designed nor should they, IMO, be designed to be wreck proof. That is what the butt bar should do---keep the horses in the trailer. Doors have to be light weight to work properly as does the removable framing. I would be suspect that the butt bar was not installed or latched properly. Most bars, on this design, that I have seen, hooks to the side wall and than to the rear tack wall-not the removable post. If the tack room is folded up, as it appears in the pics, the butt bar is useless. If bar is attached to the rear tack room wall and side wall, it should be fairly resilient to most challenges. IF you can't attach to the wall (as if tack room is folded up) a properly installed high strength 3/8" or so chain from side wall to side wall works great..... We had a trailer years ago that we had to leave the butt bar out to get in 5 horses. After about 3 trips, the doors where getting bowed out. A high strength, light weight chain mounted side wall to side wall, solved the problem... IMO, welding or screwing the center post in will not solve any concerns.

I am offering a guess that the manufacturer will say the same. Good luck!

Edited by Spin Doctor 2014-04-15 4:41 PM
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2014-04-15 10:55 PM (#158679 - in reply to #158663)

Expert

Trailer manufacturers have no federal mandated crash standards...
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-04-15 11:53 PM (#158683 - in reply to #158663)

Expert

When the consideration of the forces acting against a fairly small extruded aluminum structure during an accident is made, it's remarkable that more injuries aren't common. A 1000 pound animal being slammed against the vertical post, can generate forces well in excess of his own body weight. Because it is made to be removable, the attaching hardware becomes its weakest parts. Even if it doesn't fail, the pressure exerted by a horses' butt can bend the post, which effectively shortens its overall length, and pulls the fittings from the trailers' framing structure.

I've seen a trailer door, closed and locked into place with its camlock bar and fixtures, bent open and broken by an errant horse. It happened just after loading, while the trailer was stationary. An accident can develop many G forces, that would make the placement of a large animal almost impossible to maintain.

We have two trailers equipped with removable rear center posts. One has a fitting for a butt chain, the other a butt bar. Neither structure could hold a horse in an accident, that would put any significant pressure rearward.

During most accidents, the horses are thrown forward. If a trailer flips, it can change position and hurl them in any direction. Once that happens, I don't know of any trailer structure that could maintain its integrity, within a moveable opening, whilst carrying that much kinetic energy inside. A solid wall would be the only alternative.
Fancy That
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2014-04-20 10:22 AM (#158724 - in reply to #158663)

Regular

This really scares me. I don't even have a center post at all in my trailer (removeable or note)...it's more like a stock trailer and just has the two doors in back. This accident is making me worried that it is only the rear two doors "holding" the horses inside in an accident like this?

Aren't TONS of trailers designed like this? (like all stock trailers)???? Should I really get a super long butt chain? My trailer is XXW. Here's a pic.

This is the rear stall....no rear tack, no center post...just opens up.

photo mydividers_zpse41fdbd6.jpg

trot-on
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2014-04-20 12:42 PM (#158726 - in reply to #158663)

Extreme Veteran

Accidents are just that, accidents. We can not plan for every single situation. Personally, I prefer a trailer that can be opened all the way up in back, withOUT a center pole. If you do have an accident, and need to pull or drag a horse out of the trailer, the ability to open the whole back up to do so would make this task easier than a center pole obstructing entrance to the trailer. Bottom line is, decide YOUR priorities. No right or wrong answer in my opinion. Just what works for you
china doll
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2014-04-20 5:13 PM (#158730 - in reply to #158724)

Regular

Originally written by Fancy That on 2014-04-20 10:22 AM

This really scares me. I don't even have a center post at all in my trailer (removeable or note)...it's more like a stock trailer and just has the two doors in back. This accident is making me worried that it is only the rear two doors "holding" the horses inside in an accident like this?

Aren't TONS of trailers designed like this? (like all stock trailers)???? Should I really get a super long butt chain? My trailer is XXW. Here's a pic.

This is the rear stall....no rear tack, no center post...just opens up.
 photo mydividers_zpse41fdbd6.jpg

I would worry more about how my doors are attached. A horse could easily go over or under a chain.
Fancy That
Reg. Jan 2012
Posted 2014-04-20 5:19 PM (#158731 - in reply to #158663)

Regular

thanks guys..... I love how open the back of my trailer is.....it's just reading that article got me thinking about how nothing is "holding them in", except the doors. But...I guess that is just pretty typical?
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2014-04-22 5:17 PM (#158766 - in reply to #158663)

Extreme Veteran

As I type this we are traveling back from our vacation to the Smokies. Our trailer has a removable center post. I am concerned about a crash as well as all that holds it together is a couple of rivets at the top where the spring loaded latch is located. We do have a ramp over the back doors which could be helpful. Several years ago when traveling between horse shows with a friend her stock trailer with a full rear door and a ramp over was rear ended. It was a 4 horse stock trailer with her carriage in the front and the horses loaded in the back side by side. The horses were thrown forward and down (though they were tied to the trailer and then together as they stood side by side). The door actually looked like it flipped around (but still latched) and the ramp ended up under the horses. They survived with scrapes and bruises. We loaded all of our carriages in her trailer, tied it all in and carried her horses in our trailer. It was scary...you just never know and cannot plan for every accident that can happen.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)