'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Removing old caulking material from roof

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-05-06 5:33 AM
9 replies, 9497 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hb1506
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2014-04-20 12:32 PM (#158725)
Subject: Removing old caulking material from roof

I'm sure that there is someone on here that's been there done that and has a better way of removing old caulking material.

We purchased a 1997 Merhow Alumistar from a dealer as is. We saw the signs of water leak (leaking plumbing, and tile flooring coming up) and hoped it was all plumbing issues. We repaired the plumbing, opened up the floor, still water standing between floor runners. We then ripped out the old flooring and insulation down to the aluminum floor. As we were trying to dry the floor out a heavy rain set in.....Augh!!

That's right roof leaks; someone has caulked and puttied the crap out of this. I waited till we finally had a warm sunny day to start removing the old caulk. From doing this on the last trailer I knew the sun was my friend to get the old calking more pliable to remove easier. Is there an easier way to remove the caulking? I tried finding a heated putty knife but no luck.

Once I do get down to clean aluminum I will be using flow able caulking my local vender recommended and then overlay with 4" or 6" aluminum seam tape.

Any thoughts or advice from veteran repair jobs would be appreciated.

I did try searching and didn't find a thread that helped.

Happy Riding!

Edited by hb1506 2014-04-20 12:34 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-04-20 3:11 PM (#158727 - in reply to #158725)
Subject: RE: Removing old caulking material from roof

Expert

Try a wire cup brush in an angle grinder.  Wear googles since the caulk comes off as tiny particles.  A light touch will get you to bare metal quickly.

yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2014-04-20 4:52 PM (#158728 - in reply to #158725)

Veteran

bingo hosspuller, I agree
china doll
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2014-04-20 5:11 PM (#158729 - in reply to #158725)

Regular

I use a Hyde heavy duty razor scraper and 3.25" blades found at hardware stores.Body shop supply stores have a heated razor scraper.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-04-20 11:03 PM (#158738 - in reply to #158725)

Expert

Unless you're well experienced in handling an angle grinder, I would not recommend using a steel cup brush in one, to remove the caulking from an aluminum roof. They run at ~11000 rpm and the steel cup can cut through the soft metal in seconds if you're not careful. If you're working with a steel structure it's a perfect tool. If you do use this combination of tools, make sure the cup's strands are not the twisted knot, braded versions. Only use the softer resulting, crimped style.

I would recommend a brass wheel mounted on a mandrel, powered by a common electric drill. It runs at a much slower speed making the effort much more controllable, and the brass won't be as likely to erode the aluminum. It won't be as fast, but you will greatly reduce the chance of damaging the metal. They are availabel at WaltMart, most hardware and big box stores.

You might also consider the usage of an Elastomeric product instead of caulking. It is easily applied to inside angles and difficult spots with a brush, that a caulking gun can't reach. UV damage to it is much less than that of many caulking compounds. If you want to use a caulking material, marine grade caulks will provide the longest lasting sealant.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=18350

hb1506
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2014-04-21 7:46 AM (#158741 - in reply to #158725)

Thanks so much for replies. Prior to getting hired at the fire dept. I worked as a bodyman so I'm familiar with the finesse needed handling the wire wheels. The big thing with this project is getting the multiple types of caulking off. Some of the roof sheeting has areas where caulk was worked in voids between the sheeting, instead of securing the sheet together. I remember when urethane window caulking 1st came out, the window techs used a heated putty knife to get the clued in windows out.After I get the roof prepped and caulked I plan on using 20 mil thick 4 mil aluminum backing, EternaBond® AlumiBond tape. Has anyone used this type of tape before?I also see a water trail coming in from the windows. These windows have a rubber gasket that the window sets in. Again several types of caulk have been used and not bonding. My plan is to remove this caulking also. Then chemically clean and prep. Then use automotive grade urethane window caulk to caulk the gasket to the trailer skin and to caulk the window to the gasket. Does anyone have similar experience with sealing these windows?Thanks again for all your help!Be Safe!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-04-21 1:15 PM (#158742 - in reply to #158725)

Expert

Glad you're familiar with wire brushes... even with the angle grinder this is a slow, tedious job.   

If the sheets have voids between them, it's important to fasten the edges together.  It's the movement between sheets that destroys the seal.  I used pop rivets whenever I found movement at the sheet edge.  I also used the eternabond rv tape.  I used a small rubber caster wheel as a roller to press the tape down.  I found hand pressure alone didn't bond the tape to the surface well enough.

bailbud
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-04-26 12:50 PM (#158809 - in reply to #158725)

Elastomeric product or plasticote both work great have on old (78)camper and lq gn no leaks easy to apply
LoriA63
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2014-05-05 10:32 PM (#158933 - in reply to #158725)

Would a paint stripping gun give you the concentrated heat you need?
hb1506
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2014-05-06 5:33 AM (#158936 - in reply to #158725)

The heat gun helps, but in my situation the caulking is so deep it seems to work best with a hot sunny day. I just haven't had many of them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)