'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Chevy 3500 brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-07-23 2:18 PM
3 replies, 2887 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TS351
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-07-19 4:51 PM (#160025)
Subject: Chevy 3500 brakes

Regular

I have a 2008 Silverado 3500 diesel dually 40,000 miles (80% towing 12,000# trailer) started hearing squealing before and after braking. Everyone said it was coming from right front, so I put new rotors and pads on front (pads didn't look bad at all, rotors needed resurface or change).Took for test ride still making same noise, someone now said it sounded like the back. So I took the back apart and pads completely shot, rotors need resurface or change. Didn't have time to pull axles and all that so threw some new pads on for now and noise is gone.Any thoughts on why back brakes wore out before fronts or anyone else have this happen. All my other vehicles have typically worn 2 to 1 front to back. Don't know if maybe computer senses extra load and supplies more back brake to compensate. I know Chevy had something mechanical to do that in the 80's( didn't work very good).
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-07-19 10:57 PM (#160027 - in reply to #160025)
Subject: RE: Chevy 3500 brakes

Expert

My Chevy 3500 back brakes wore quickly too.  90 percent of use was towing a GN.  I suspect one of the pads hung up.  I had a devil of a time removing the old pad.  New pad was tight too.  A little work with a file fixed it.  Make sure the pads are loose across the caliper.

The back rotors are thinner than the fronts ... at least the wear limits are.

New back rotors are in the living room till I get all the parts (seals & gaskets) together with some time to pull the axles..

Question to anybody :  How much does the truck have to be tipped up to keep the differential oil from spilling out when I remove the axle?  That synthetic oil is quite pricey.  A distance from the ground to the wheel center would be helpful when I attempt this.  Any other tips would be appreciated too.

GregS
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-07-23 12:47 PM (#160096 - in reply to #160027)

New User

Question to anybody :  How much does the truck have to be tipped up to keep the differential oil from spilling out when I remove the axle?  That synthetic oil is quite pricey.  A distance from the ground to the wheel center would be helpful when I attempt this.  Any other tips would be appreciated too.

Make sure bottom of the axle tube is jacked above the diff fill port, it's different for every axle, so I can't quite give a height in inches. Gear oil is filled to the bottom of the bolt/plug in the cover. A little fluid will always run out, but just what is in the end of the tube at the bearing, not usually enough to make a difference.
GregS
Reg. Mar 2014
Posted 2014-07-23 2:18 PM (#160099 - in reply to #160027)

New User

Make sure bottom of the axle tube is jacked above the diff fill port, it's different for every axle, so I can't quite give a height in inches. Gear oil is filled to the bottom of the bolt/plug in the cover. A little fluid will always run out, but just what is in the end of the tube at the bearing, not usually enough to make a difference.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)