'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying a Used Trailer...HELP!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-07-23 4:16 PM
7 replies, 3668 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Inferno28
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2014-07-22 8:28 AM (#160066)
Subject: Buying a Used Trailer...HELP!

New User

I am thinking about buying my first trailer after having owned my horse my 14 years. It is time to travel independently! I am looking at '98 Hart 2 Horse Bumper pull. Everything I have read says that Hart trailers are excellent and hold their value really well. The dealer is asking $8000 for it and from the pictures it looks barley used. So here are my questions for you trailer experts:1. Is that a fair asking price?2. Any issues with a '98 Hart that I should be aware of or even just trailers that are 15+ yrs old?3. What are the top things I should look for when I go check out this trailer? Any other advice/tips is greatly appreciated!!Thank you.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BILLYS
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-07-22 11:05 AM (#160072 - in reply to #160066)
Subject: RE: Buying a Used Trailer...HELP!

I don't know a whole lot.... but I will help the best I can. First I don't know that trailer. With any BP I would think one of the biggest $ is tires. They may look like they have a lot of tread but it is the age you should worry about. Look on the inside of the tire side wall( could bo on outer side wall) look for the date.you will see the week and year they were made.1296 = 12 week of 1996 if I remember right.. Next get to the wood floors and poke around with a pocket knife or the like.... you are wanting to look for rotten spots. Check lights and stuff. As with anything, take a look(don't go snooping around)at the way the cars, house, personal things are kept up. If they spend the time on thier stuff chances are they keep the trailer up.Sorry I'm not much help.
ncowan1981
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2014-07-22 11:21 AM (#160074 - in reply to #160066)

New User

A few things.
1. the asking price will depend on if the trailer is all aluminum with aluminum floor and mats or aluminum skin with steel frame and wood floor.
But either way $8 k sound a little high.
2. Check axles, brakes, tires, and electrical. These are the most important.
3. make sure it has a clear title. and check on taxes in your area.
4. and last just give a good once over. look for discoloration in the paint or skin, bows in the side walls from weakness in the frame, and any area that look like there might be a leak in the seams
Inferno28
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2014-07-22 11:27 AM (#160075 - in reply to #160066)

New User

Thanks for the advice everyone It is an all alum trailer including floor and has brand new tires. Found out the previous owner used it less than 10 times and it made one long haul from FL to NC. I got the price down to 7850.
BILLYS
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-07-22 2:38 PM (#160081 - in reply to #160066)

You could shop around and around to find one that is from a privet party a bit cheaper.. Unless you are in love with that one, dont trust some privet parties, or just dont have the time.I know we drove 4 hours one way to "look" at a trailer. Drove 5.75 to look at a nother that we ended up getting.

PS welcome to the forum(I am new here also). Lots of good info here.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-07-22 3:13 PM (#160083 - in reply to #160066)

Expert

$7850 for a 16 year old trailer sounds high to me.   Look at this site for trailers of the same age and features.  Doesn't matter to me how many times it was used.  What's the present condition?  Look very closely at the floor.  Pull the mats out.  There is no other way to determine floor condition unless you have x-ray eyes...
Cnvh
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2014-07-23 2:21 PM (#160100 - in reply to #160066)

That price does seem steep for a 2H of that age.

Tires are a bit of a pet peeve of mine...  I'm on my second (used) trailer, and I've heard all sorts of language used to describe the tires.  Many, MANY people will report them as "new" if they are barely used, regardless of age.  Sure, they LOOK new, but a brand-new-looking 10-year old tire is still a ticking time bomb that I wouldn't allow anywhere near my horse.

Educate yourself on how to check that date, and check them for yourself!  

I don't know Hart trailers in particular, but when shopping, DO plan on crawling under the trailer and checking out the frame, very VERY closely.  Poke around anywhere you see rust-- surface rust is OK; rust you can poke through is not.

If it's a ramp-load, how's the ramp?  The mat on the ramp can look good, even if the wood underneath is rotten.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2014-07-23 4:16 PM (#160108 - in reply to #160066)

Elite Veteran

Hart is a top of the line trailer in my opinion. All aluminum. I would pay the price asked for that at $7k something. Do check the date on the tires though. Just because the trailer is "barely used" does not mean the tires are "new". Rubber has an expiration date. Used or not
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)