'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trail riding in Missouri

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-04-07 10:27 AM
23 replies, 14112 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Kwarren
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2014-07-30 9:41 PM (#160206)
Subject: Trail riding in Missouri

Planning a trip in October to Missouri or possibly Kentucky. Never been to either state was hoping for some recommendations on campgrounds. We like riding in the hills don't care for flat trails all the time.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2014-08-01 7:06 AM (#160212 - in reply to #160206)
Subject: RE: Trail riding in Missouri

Extreme Veteran

Well Missouri has a lot to offer, but some more information would help narrow it down. How long of a stay? How many miles of trails do you typically cover? Do you want to be feed or cook your own? We've covered a lot of the camps in southern Missouri.
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-08-01 12:16 PM (#160222 - in reply to #160206)

Regular

Eminence offers some of the most beautiful riding anywhere, and we ride Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, TN.  So that is a pretty steep statement to make.

Eminence has gotten a name because of Cross Country Trailride.  There are other campgrounds in the area that do not have the big crowds, etc. 

Cross Country Trailrides offers 2 rides in October, the late October ride is not crowded.

Riverside Motel that is right outside CCTR's gate has a horse camp that is very nice with full hookups. 

There is also Coldwater Ranch. Hard to get into and lots of red clay, some stalls have big boulders in them.  the red clay turns me off ruint some nice rugs from staying at that place. 

Shawnee Creek Campground: I can get you the number, there are no outhouses or bathhouse or dumpstation, but nice place to ride out of and camp. sites have water and electric, she has taken down her website etc due to health issues she is not publicizing the place but is still open. 

Big Creek Trailride is north of Eminence on the Current River.  Love this place!!  They have open camping when they do not have organized rides going on. Food is Excellent on the organized rides.  Campground doesnt have shade but most of us have awnings and survive just fine.  Trails are shaded and offer beautiful views.  Stalls are super nice.  Water and electric at site. Dumpstation, laundry facilities, bathhouses.  Stalls have a water spicket every 2 stalls.  sawdust provided and close to stalls.  We like to go during June July and August when it is open camping. You can also open camp on the weeks and weekends when they do not have a ride going on.  They just ask you to come in as a ride is ending. 

Flying R:  Nice camp, decent riding I think a little pricey

Slabtown Trailrides:  Nice area to ride, not a lot of short rides or ways to make loops shorter, shortest ride is 4 to 5 hours.  Campground is nice, water and electric at each site, dumpstation.  IF he has over 3 trailers on Saturdays he does a fish fry for free just have to bring a side dish.  Nice showerhouse, and he has an enclosed building with ac and heat with a tv, pool table, etc. he usually has bagged ice in there for sale. 

Pine Crest: under new ownership and he has plans to make good upgrades to the place.  sites 30 and 31 are nice and the closest to the stalls. U ride the Current River area

I know I am forgetting some, if you have any questions just ask.  Missouri in October is beautiful cant beat the weather and the fall colors. My favorite month in Missouri to ride!!

Kwarren
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2014-08-01 9:27 PM (#160228 - in reply to #160222)

Thanks for the info we probably will ride for four days or five days. We would like to have electric and water hookups also. We have ridden in Arkansas and Illinois just wanted to try somewhere different.
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2014-08-02 8:47 AM (#160231 - in reply to #160206)

Extreme Veteran

Panther Creek has a ride scheduled for Oct 10-13. Good food, nice variety of trails and great hosts. We go there often and will be there this October. Brushy Creek near Black, MO has enough trails for your stay. Meals are optional there, really nice campground and stalls. They don't have set dates, they're open year round. 4J Big Piney has a ride scheduled for Oct 12-17. They are not open for off riding. We've been there several times. Really nice stalls, nice campground, great food, lots of trails, but no maps. I bought a map from a camper that had GPS the trails. If this place interests you I can email the map to you.
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2014-08-02 8:48 AM (#160232 - in reply to #160231)

Extreme Veteran

I love it when this website screws up my entire post by removing carriage returns and messing up links!
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-08-04 11:42 AM (#160260 - in reply to #160206)

Regular

Coming from MS, I think you would be very upset with Panther Creek hauling that far.  Most trails are cattle paths and you ride alot of pasture land and the trails are in the tree lines around the pastures. Panther Creek does have good hosts and good food, but hauling that far  I would stick to the southern MIssouri area not Central Missouri.  The rivers in Southern Missouri offer some scenic rides and pictures.  Also the ground is more rocky and sandy down there so if it rains during your stay you can usually still ride, at Panther Creek you would be in mud as Central Missouri is mostly black dirt. 
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2014-08-04 1:24 PM (#160267 - in reply to #160260)

Extreme Veteran

More common misconceptions of Panther Creek. Cow paths? You must not be able to read and follow maps. Mud? Where I only know of two trails that can get muddy there, and I've been down there after toad choking rains.
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-08-04 3:25 PM (#160272 - in reply to #160206)

Regular

Wow I believe that was highly uncalled for. I hoped this was one place attitudes such as yours would not show up. Guess every place has to be ruined. I can read a map, I ride all over this state and many many others. I have a right to my thoughts. For anyone coming from the distance this fellow trailrider is, Missouri has much better places to offer than Panther Creek.  I have been there many times as I live very close to there.  It is by far not the nicest place we have to offer.  I think your name on here fits you well as you have the personality of one. 
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2014-08-06 8:42 PM (#160315 - in reply to #160206)

Extreme Veteran

I'd vote for the 4J Big Piney Ride, Big Creek or Cross Country Ride of Emminence. The 4J and Big Creek are a smaller crowd and the food is really good at both places. Emminence would be closer but a bigger crowd and the food isn't as good but pretty scenery.I've been to Panther Creek and the food was good and the people nice. The riding had rolling hills and you ride through some cattle pasture areas. I would consider it more of a long weekend place to ride instead of a full week. I don't think there's any comparison with the other campgrounds when it comes to riding and the scenery. The other campgrounds offer high bluff overlooks and river crossings and are more challenging trails.
Kwarren
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2014-08-07 6:59 PM (#160330 - in reply to #160315)

What about the trails at flying r. What kind of terrain and is there enough riding for four or five days.
Kwarren
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2014-08-07 7:08 PM (#160331 - in reply to #160330)

Don't care to much for big organized rides. We like to do our own cooking most of the time.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2014-08-07 9:32 PM (#160332 - in reply to #160206)

Extreme Veteran

You can't be at the 4J unless it's during an organized ride but I think you can be there outside of the organized rides at Big Creek and Emminence then you can cook your own food. That's a part of the fun for me on vaca is to have someone cook for me but you'll save money when you cook your own.
longearsruletwo
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2014-08-07 9:38 PM (#160333 - in reply to #160206)

Regular

If you like small camp grounds and you do your own cooking you might try Huckleberry Stables out of Pineville in SW Missouri. It's pretty good riding, certainly not much flat! Rick and Mary are great hosts. They also have some small cabins and a bath house.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2014-08-08 9:04 AM (#160338 - in reply to #160206)

Extreme Veteran

If you like Las Vegas style of camping then Cross Country Ride of Emminence is the place to go. Lots of parties that last until the wee hours of the morning, then they sleep all day and do it again the next night. Drunk as skunks, riding thru camp and night as fast as their ponies can carry them, with no regard for who they run over.
pinecrest campground
Reg. Sep 2014
Posted 2014-09-23 4:35 AM (#160892 - in reply to #160206)

New User

We are a small family owned and operated campground in Missouri with beautiful trails through the Ozarks near the Current river.www.pinecrestcampground.com
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2014-09-25 12:48 PM (#160922 - in reply to #160892)

Extreme Veteran

Pinecrest,

I had heard Whispering closed because of loss of trail access, I was concerned this might affect you also.
pocketponypaints
Reg. Oct 2014
Posted 2014-10-25 8:22 PM (#161293 - in reply to #160260)

New User

panther creek is the place to go, trails are open , wooded, hilly, flat, what ever you want, and over 100 miles of trails, host are the best, and camp grounds are flat and great parking, the long horn cattle are a real plus
trailride4fun
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2014-10-28 12:53 PM (#161320 - in reply to #160330)

Spent last week at Flying R. Weather was beautiful, campground nice (some of the spots are a little tight) in the lower part of the camp. Riding easy!!
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2014-10-28 8:52 PM (#161323 - in reply to #160206)

Elite Veteran

Just spent a weekend at Pinecrest in MO. Great camp host. Trails are great! Sites are shady. I had corrals and they were nice but not shaded. Headed to Slabtown this weekend for the Halloween ride. Another great camping area..
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-11-06 3:24 PM (#161422 - in reply to #160206)

Regular

Pinecrest is a nice campground and the new owners are wonderful. The only reason I would not want to ride there for a week is that there is only two trails out of camp  so you ride the same trail in and out over and over and over.  After three or four days of that I am burnt out on the place.  It is easily 30 to 45 minutes one way in and out to all the other trails the place offers. Lovely riding in the area and wonderful campground. Just wish they had more trailheads out of camp.  Big Creek is in the same area and they have tons of options out of camp to ride.  We enjoy both places, but if I was going for a week I would pick Big Creek because of the more riding options.  For a two or three day weekend Pinecrest is nice.
onemileatatime
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2014-11-06 3:32 PM (#161423 - in reply to #160206)

Regular

To answer another question about the trail situation the National Park Service has yet to release their new plan for managing the park.  Once they release that plan we will see how many miles of trails, if any, there will be in the area of Pinecrest and Whispering Pines. Right now there are no horse trails on the park service map for that area of the park so according to the park service those trails do not exist. 
xiaonvren
Reg. Dec 2014
Posted 2014-12-13 4:48 AM (#162044 - in reply to #160206)

New User

Nice showerhouse, and he has an enclosed building with ac and heat with a tv, pool table, etc. he usually has bagged ice in there for sale. _______________________my site:fifa coins
TrailriderMO
Reg. Mar 2015
Posted 2015-04-07 10:27 AM (#163103 - in reply to #160206)

New User

Slabtown has tons riding and many different trail heads in all directions very nice club house nice clean well kept shower house restrooms plenty shade trees Owner does fish fry with hush puppies and fresh cut fries and campers bring sidedish. Sam A Baker great park have us high line but nice riding.BigCreek has nice stalls great food and tons riding. Riverside in Emience has really nice horse campground with big roomy stalls you have tons riding in Ozarks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)