'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need Advice on Trailer Tires

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-08-13 10:29 AM
4 replies, 3027 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OnTheRoadAgain
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2014-08-13 6:59 AM (#160384)
Subject: Need Advice on Trailer Tires

I bought a 2 horse trailer a few years ago. It was a used trailer but had never been used (if that makes sense!) Recently I noticed some dry rot on the tires so I started looking into getting them replaced. I then noticed I had P tires on the trailer, not LT or ST.  Do some manufacturers put passenger tires on trailers? I don't see where the first owner would have switched them out.

I am also wondering about what size I can get. The size on there now (235/75/15) does not come in ST. Is there a comparable size that would work? Or would LT tires be okay? I am going to call the local tire stores but I want to make sure they give me the right information.  Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2014-08-13 8:37 AM (#160387 - in reply to #160384)
Subject: RE: Need Advice on Trailer Tires

Veteran

I use only LT tires on my trailers on the advise of my cousin a Goodyear commercial tire store manager. The larger the tire you can get under the trailer the more weight the tires can handle.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-08-13 9:12 AM (#160388 - in reply to #160384)

Expert

If passenger tires are installed on trailers, most tire manufacturers will void any warranty. Some times it's possible to get more capacity with a P tire, but if problems occur, you're on your own.

As was previously stated, a LT tire is the best. If a wider tire will fit within the wheel well, it will offer a larger carrying capacity. Switching to a higher load rating, will also increase the tire's longevity and safety.

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2014-08-13 9:56 AM (#160389 - in reply to #160384)

Elite Veteran

For what it is worth- as taught in the tire fitment classes to employees of the tire manufacturers:

When a P tires is fitted in a light truck service application, the load rating is to be calculated with a 10% loss of capacity. This is due to the different forces applied to a tire by a light truck than a passenger car, primarily caused by the higher center of gravity transferring more weight to the outside tires during cornering situations .

I am quoting that from memory almost 25 years ago, but I'm pretty close. And I have always used the same logic when seeing a P tire on a trailer application.

And yes, I have seen some of the lower end units from smaller manufacturers use P tires on new trailers before. I would probably look at a good ST225/75R15 tire. We've had good service with them, and you'll have a hard time actually finding a LT 15" tire in stock anymore.
RTSmith
OnTheRoadAgain
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2014-08-13 10:29 AM (#160391 - in reply to #160389)

Thank you! That explains a lot. I don't haul very often but I had 2 horses in there a couple of weeks ago and got a lot of scary sway on the highway that I never felt before. I am going to be buying new tires before I haul anywhere else.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)